Mr.Beer Community
Squirley Mic

Bottle conditioning techiques

Here's one for you experienced brewers: After bottling the beer, do you ever disturb the bottles during the conditioning process, ie turn the bottles over a time or two the first few days to get the dissolved carbo drops to mix throughout the beer?  Or, do you just set the bottles aside and leave them untouched for the 3-4 weeks of conditioning?  The reason I ask is that after 4 full weeks of conditioning, I'm seeing sugars left on the bottom of each bottle AND the beer, after pouring with a decent head, goes flat almost immediately.  Thanks -

@Mic Todd you’re probably seeing yeast sediment, not sugar. Post a pic please. And no you shouldn’t have to tip and turn your bottles. Leave them be. Let the yeast settle to the bottom. As far as head retention, thats kind of a curse of HME. 99% of people on here steep carapils on brew day to help with head retention. 

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Mic Todd you’re probably seeing yeast sediment, not sugar. Post a pic please. And no you shouldn’t have to tip and turn your bottles. Leave them be. Let the yeast settle to the bottom. As far as head retention, thats kind of a curse of HME. 99% of people on here steep carapils on brew day to help with head retention. 

OK, thanks.  But the beer (Oktoberfest) seems very flat very quickly.  It's possible the room temps were too low during conditioning but I've raised them and let the remaining bottles go another full week.  Doesn't seem to have made any difference.  My 2nd batch went to bottle yesterday, the American Porter.  Tomorrow I'll begin experimenting with the CAL recipe by adding DME, Agave and hops - just to have some fun.  But this carbonation thing has me perplexed.

4 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Typically people over carb their beers. How much sugar are you adding?

I mentioned in the post a few days ago 1 carbo drop, but that was wrong.  I followed the instructions exactly and added 2 drops per 25 oz Mr Beer bottle, not one.  Yesterday I bottled my second batch into 32 oz bottles and per MRB instructions, I added 2.5 carbo drops per bottle.  Thanks for asking

22 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Mic Todd you’re probably seeing yeast sediment, not sugar. Post a pic please.

If I've done this correct, you should see a photo I took of one of the bottles lying in its side. The 5 lighter spots are the sugars (?) or sediments (?) lying on the bottom.  As I said, the head pours out OK, but the beer goes flat almost immediately.  Good flavor, great color, very clear.  But flat.

1st batch bottle bottom.jpg

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

You wouldnt have foam upon pouring without carbonation

That's what I think, too.  In fact, I even shook one bottle lightly and with the expected affect: it foamed over when I opened it about 1 minute later.  But the beer just doesn't stay fizzy at all for very long ( a few sips).  At least it tastes good and it is a very lovely bronze color, as clear as any professional beer (in the glass).

19 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Are your bottles nice and firm? That should be an overcarbed bottle since its exactly what the MRB chart suggests.

how long were the bottles in the fridge. Sounds like your carbonation isnt locked into the liquid

Yes, the bottles are rock hard.  Shortest time in the fridge was bout 3-4 hours

2 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Your beer tomorrow will be light years better. 3-4 hours is nothing. I have my kegs under CO2 for a week before i even think about tapping them

Wow.  OK, I guess I will put all the rest in but one (that I'll keep in the cupboard for another month as an experiment).  Thanks Creeps `

As stated several times, you need to put your bottles in the fridge for 3 days for the carbonation to properly absorb into the beer.  3 days, not 3 hours.  

You posted that your bottles might have been at 59, and on Tuesday you said you would move them to 70 and understood you need 4 weeks.  It's 3 days later.  

Patience is required in this hobby.

And that's trub, not sugar as stated.

Again, I strongly suggest you spend some hours reading the forum.  

"Patience is required in this hobby."

I think it took me nearly a year to figure that out. 🤣  Most of what I mix up these days takes 4-8 months of conditioning if not longer. I will still sneak in an early sample.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

As stated several times, you need to put your bottles in the fridge for 3 days for the carbonation to properly absorb into the beer.  3 days, not 3 hours.  

You posted that your bottles might have been at 59, and on Tuesday you said you would move them to 70 and understood you need 4 weeks.  It's 3 days later.  

Patience is required in this hobby.

And that's trub, not sugar as stated.

Again, I strongly suggest you spend some hours reading the forum.  

Hey Rick, you were the one who told me to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, remember? This is what the MRB instructions say about this.  Quote: "The ideal carbonation is 3 weeks total. The beer is now ready (emphasis mine) and should be refrigerated for 24 hours before drinking to stabilize the carbonation."  unquote

Please don't be so snarky Rick, I'm trying to learn here.  Everyone else has been friendly, helpful and understanding, (and funny) esp Creeps, Nickfixit and Shovel. That's why I'm on the forum. And I am reading everything I can about this hobby.

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

"Patience is required in this hobby."

I think it took me nearly a year to figure that out. 🤣  Most of what I mix up these days takes 4-8 months of conditioning if not longer. I will still sneak in an early sample.

I'm figuring that out myself, and thanks to guys like you it I've learned a lot already.  Brewing my 3rd batch tonight, after only having my kit for about 7 weeks.  Pretty hard not to want to sneak an early sample, I'll agree!  Thanks~

My two cents: as I navigate throughout this hobby and talk to people about beer and brewing, I find that some newbies don't know the difference between head retention and carbonation. We know that extract brewing makes head retention wane and add Carapils to boost it. The bubbles in the beer make it a carbonated beverage. 

Don't worry, I always sneak early samples. Usually from  the last part filled bottle or trub bottle, and then maybe a bit later. Using 12 oz bottle is better for tis as you waste less if it is not ready. I mostly use 750ml's  so have to be a bit more cautious about using something that might not be good yet, but I still do sneak a bottle ahead of time. I figure as they change over time one has to try to know what is best for one's taste. Trying them over time will let you know that they actually DO get better  😄   (As Rick B says  - lol.)

Anyway it is your hobby, but we want you to enjoy it too and give us the feedback from your experiences too.