Mr.Beer Community

Hi,

I bottled my third batch today, a porter with LME. It tasted ok and smelled ok, but while cleaning the LBK I found a small amount of mold on the threads of the LBK lid and the unit itself. It was very small, about the size of a sharpened pencil, and it didn’t appear to be on the inside. Do you think my beer will be okay?

Possible, depends on how moist your environment is.  During fermentation, there is a lot of water vapor coming out the vents on the threads, and if you are in right environment that could mold.  

Cleaning tip - after bottling your beer (or after putting the contents in your batch prime container), use warm water to get the yeast out.  Then, fill it with warm water with a few drops of unscented dish soap, all the way up to the top, and let it soak.  Then take a sponge and wipe the inside, especially the krausen line.  Then wash carefully.

If you have gunk on the outside, fill sink or tub with warm soapy water, and fill LBK, then put it under the soap water level.  Let it soak.  

NEVER use a scouring pad, even the "gentle" ones, on the inside of your LBK.  Once you scratch it, you might as well toss it.  Never use very hot water, it can ruin the LBK, not only can it deform the LBK, but it will "bake in" the flavors.

To ensure your next batch of beer is as good as the first, you need to clean your equipment immediately after use with soap and water. While rinsing is good, only soap and water will result in clean equipment for your next brew. The best cleaner to use on your brewing equipment is Oxygen Brewery Wash, available at www.mrbeer.com. Oxygen Brewery Wash effectively breaks down residue without leaving any flavor or foam-damaging residues after rinsing. If you do not have Oxygen Brewery Wash, liquid soap works fine, as long as it is unscented and is thoroughly rinsed off with warm water 105-115°F or 41-46°C. Scented soap or improper rinsing can leave a film on your equipment that ruins beer foam and leaves off flavors in your next beer. 1. Immediately after use, remove and disassemble the spigot assembly from the keg, then thoroughly wash all parts in warm water using a clean, soft cloth and clear unscented liquid soap. 2. Do not use scouring pads, wire brushes, sponges or abrasives during cleaning as they can harbor bacteria and create small scratches that may infect your beer. 3. Always clean all equipment immediately after use.

I batch prime, so when my bottling slimline is full, I wash the yeast out of my LBK, then fill it and soak it while I bottle.  After bottling I usually take a 1/2 hour break, then come back to wash everything.  I've never had residue not easily wipe off.  The key is not to let anything dry.  Dry wort is like concrete.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Possible, depends on how moist your environment is.  During fermentation, there is a lot of water vapor coming out the vents on the threads, and if you are in right environment that could mold.  

Cleaning tip - after bottling your beer (or after putting the contents in your batch prime container), use warm water to get the yeast out.  Then, fill it with warm water with a few drops of unscented dish soap, all the way up to the top, and let it soak.  Then take a sponge and wipe the inside, especially the krausen line.  Then wash carefully.

If you have gunk on the outside, fill sink or tub with warm soapy water, and fill LBK, then put it under the soap water level.  Let it soak.  

NEVER use a scouring pad, even the "gentle" ones, on the inside of your LBK.  Once you scratch it, you might as well toss it.  Never use very hot water, it can ruin the LBK, not only can it deform the LBK, but it will "bake in" the flavors.

To ensure your next batch of beer is as good as the first, you need to clean your equipment immediately after use with soap and water. While rinsing is good, only soap and water will result in clean equipment for your next brew. The best cleaner to use on your brewing equipment is Oxygen Brewery Wash, available at www.mrbeer.com. Oxygen Brewery Wash effectively breaks down residue without leaving any flavor or foam-damaging residues after rinsing. If you do not have Oxygen Brewery Wash, liquid soap works fine, as long as it is unscented and is thoroughly rinsed off with warm water 105-115°F or 41-46°C. Scented soap or improper rinsing can leave a film on your equipment that ruins beer foam and leaves off flavors in your next beer. 1. Immediately after use, remove and disassemble the spigot assembly from the keg, then thoroughly wash all parts in warm water using a clean, soft cloth and clear unscented liquid soap. 2. Do not use scouring pads, wire brushes, sponges or abrasives during cleaning as they can harbor bacteria and create small scratches that may infect your beer. 3. Always clean all equipment immediately after use.

I batch prime, so when my bottling slimline is full, I wash the yeast out of my LBK, then fill it and soak it while I bottle.  After bottling I usually take a 1/2 hour break, then come back to wash everything.  I've never had residue not easily wipe off.  The key is not to let anything dry.  Dry wort is like concrete.

+1 on the oxygen brewery wash for cleaning the LBK. Probably an unnecessary step on my part but since I've already got a gallon of sanitizer mixed up for bottling, I run that through the LBK before disassembling, and will save some back into a container for a final cleaning of spigot, washer, and nut, plus the bottling wand assembly, and hydrometer.

Yeah, I know I'll do it again in prepping for a new batch but since it's already there I feel better about everything being put away clean.