Mr.Beer Community
Squirley Mic

Cigars and Craft Beer

I was wondering if any others on this forum enjoyed premium (hand-made) cigars with their libations?   I know there are lots of published guides online for which single malt scotch or brandy to pair with different cigars, but I've never been a fan of either.  I do, however, enjoy my cigars with my beer and sometimes with various coffees (always black only).  Are there others here that like to pair their 'gars and brews?  Thanks ~

rsz_dsc_0081.jpg

Here's a whole thread on cigars.

Here's my setup

As far as beverages with cigars go, I usually stick with whisky.  That's mainly because it's hot here most of the year; I don't like my beer getting warm while on the patio.  Once it cools down a bit I'll start off with a beer with my smokes.  With the powerhouse cigars and strong Maduros I'll usually have a stout.  With medium-bodied ones I prefer lightly-hopped ales  or lagers.  I don't drink IPAs with my smokes (even though I love IPAs) as the strong hop component is too overpowering and I lose any nuance from the cigar.

2 hours ago, Shrike said:

Here's my setup

Once it cools down a bit I'll start off with a beer with my smokes.  With the powerhouse cigars and strong Maduros I'll usually have a stout.  With medium-bodied ones I prefer lightly-hopped ales  or lagers.  I don't drink IPAs with my smokes (even though I love IPAs) as the strong hop component is too overpowering and I lose any nuance from the cigar.

That's what most of my cigar-smoking friends do, pair the Stouts and Porters with their maduros and the IPA's with lighter fare like a Connecticut shade wrapper, etc.  Some like the Ales with Corojo wrappers.  Since I'm not much of a fan of maduro cigars (I sometimes find them a bit too strong) but greatly prefer the Connecticut wrappers and cigars on the milder side of Medium, I don't really have any certain beer for my particular cigar.  Not very sophisticated, I know, but I know which cigars I like and just about any beer goes well.

That said, you are right about the hopped-up beers overpowering a mild cigar.  But I generally avoid the really hopped up beers anyway.  Actually, I think I like a strong cup of black, freshly ground coffee with my cigars more than beer but I have to shut myself off of coffee around 2 in the afternoon.  I usually smoke my cigar in the evening time, out on the porch in nice weather.   Chocolate, Coffee, Tobacco: all Central & South American products.  Interesting....

12 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

I can honestly say that the only tobacco smoke that entered my lungs was of the second hand variety.  Smelled cigs, pipe and cigars, but never appealed to me.  I've associated cigars with cognac, but not craft beers.  I'm watching this thread

Yep, many cigar smokers are of the cognac, brandy or whisky perveyors.  None of those are my choice but I will admit, with the right pairing the two (premium cigars and drink) can be very satisfying.  Let's just say this, if one of my buddies offers me a sip of brandy while were enjoying a Macanudo or Arturo Fuente cigar, I am not one to refuse the gift~!

16 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

I can honestly say that the only tobacco smoke that entered my lungs was of the second hand variety.  Smelled cigs, pipe and cigars, but never appealed to me.  I've associated cigars with cognac, but not craft beers.  I'm watching this thread

My impressions of tobacco smoke.

Fortunately, cigarettes taste better than they smell.

Unfortunately pipe tobacco smells better than it tastes.

Very unfortunately cigars neither taste or smell good - and tend to make me nauseous. (Don't tell me to try harder - 😄)

Disclosure - I smoked for ~ 20 years before giving it up for good some 40 years ago.

9 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Very unfortunately cigars neither taste or smell good - and tend to make me nauseous. (Don't tell me to try harder - 😄)

I find many premium cigars delicious- when smoked on the palatte, not in the lungs.  Never smoked cigarettes, never chewed tobacco or ever smoked a pipe so I cannot vouch for those, but hand-made cigars are a real delight and are the world's best stress remedy.  It takes me about 60-90 minutes to enjoy a handmade cigar and I find it impossible to not relax and let the problems of life just melt away.  Alcohol, unfortunately, is a bit of a depressant and usually makes stressful situations more so.  Not so cigars, for me.  But maybe that's just me.  I would never tell anyone to start or stop or try harder!!! lol

Also full disclosure, I've been enjoying cigars for around 25 years.  I usually smoke one or two a week and that slows down come winter because I never smoke inside (unless I'm at a cigar bar with friends) and it's just too damn cold outside in Western Oregon to enjoy a cigar for almost 2 hours!  Probably don't smoke a dozen cigars from November to May.

23 hours ago, Shrike said:

Here's my setup

As far as beverages with cigars go, I usually stick with whisky.  That's mainly because it's hot here most of the year; I don't like my beer getting warm while on the patio.  Once it cools down a bit I'll start off with a beer with my smokes.  With the powerhouse cigars and strong Maduros I'll usually have a stout.  With medium-bodied ones I prefer lightly-hopped ales  or lagers.  I don't drink IPAs with my smokes (even though I love IPAs) as the strong hop component is too overpowering and I lose any nuance from the cigar.

Seeing that I wrote that less than 24 hours ago, I of course had an IPA last night with my cigar.  😜  I was mid-way through a Brew de Ale ze Bub when I went out for my smoke, so I grapped a strong one, a Man-o'-War Ruination.

I enjoy cigars  with a beer.  Actually, I enjoy cigars.  I agree with Shrike, in the summer a nice cocktail on ice with a cigar is great.  When the weather cools its nice to have a porter or stout with a cigar.  Of course I have to do this outdoors because my wife don't want a stinky cigar smell in the house! Lol!

5 hours ago, Shrike said:

Seeing that I wrote that less than 24 hours ago, I of course had an IPA last night with my cigar.  😜  I was mid-way through a Brew de Ale ze Bub when I went out for my smoke, so I grapped a strong one, a Man-o'-War Ruination.

Yeah, my god.  That is a powerful cigar!  My hat's off to ya.  I've been enjoying cigars since 1992 and that puppy's stronger than I can handle - they remind me of when I tried some cuban cigars while on business trips in Canada - full and powerful.  I see cigars trending that way in recent years, away from the milder and mellower ones like the Macanudos or Ashtons.

4 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Maybe I got ruined on cigars by having to smoke 2  per performance while acting in an amateur theater production - no idea what kind. Fortunately I did not actually throw up.

The small local theater where we live (we support and enjoy live theater a lot) have these fake cigars that emit water vapor of some sort (?) that look like smoke but are not.  Too bad you weren't able to use them instead.  🤔

3 hours ago, oldbagobones said:

I enjoy cigars  with a beer.  Actually, I enjoy cigars.  I agree with Shrike, in the summer a nice cocktail on ice with a cigar is great.  When the weather cools its nice to have a porter or stout with a cigar.  Of course I have to do this outdoors because my wife don't want a stinky cigar smell in the house! Lol!

Dittos all around.  I especially enjoy a cigar after a good meal with a cup of hot, black coffee (if in a cigar lounge or bar) or a good craft brew, no one in particular, tho the Porters do go well with cigars with chocolate notes (or those with nutty flavors) and well-balanced IPAs that are not too hoppy with the milder cigars like Ashton.  Thanks for weighing in -

3 hours ago, oldbagobones said:

Of course I have to do this outdoors because my wife don't want a stinky cigar smell in the house! Lol!

I should mention that my wife and I both do not want cigar odors left in the house or either of our vehicles.  But the wife enjoys taking puffs off my cigar and loves the aromas they emit.  I am very lucky there -  she's not a smoker.  Just likes the flavors and smells

Once every few weeks I'll enjoy a cigar (mostly mild) with Scotch (all kinds). I may have a beer with a cigar once every few months. The wife likes a few puffs too, and usually drinks red wine of some type. We always stay outside, as the odor lingers too long in the house. The best was last year when my wife and I soaked in a hot tub with drinks and cigars - can't relax more than that!

I do enjoy the smell of a cigar.  Not so much in an enclosed area, like a house.  We don't smoke in the house because it does linger and makes your house smell.  We want to be able to breathe clean smelling air, not lingering cigar smoke.  That lingering smell indoors grabs you by the nostrils and slams you into the walls.  Outside is best for me.  Gonna do that with a cold one now!

57 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

Once every few weeks I'll enjoy a cigar (mostly mild) with Scotch (all kinds). I may have a beer with a cigar once every few months. The wife likes a few puffs too, and usually drinks red wine of some type. We always stay outside, as the odor lingers too long in the house. The best was last year when my wife and I soaked in a hot tub with drinks and cigars - can't relax more than that!

I should say not!  Can't imagine anything being more relaxing than that... btw, I once had a doctor of mine (at the VA) who was a cigar smoker himself tell me that he thought cigars were a terrific way to reduce stress.  I always wondered if he came to enjoy cigars when serving in the Gulf, which I knew he had.  He's moved on to another clinic now, in another state.  Since stress is a killer, reducing it is a must in life