Mr.Beer Community
JRCasualBrewer

What does extra yeast do?

One other question about MRB yeast comes to mind:  "Are all the MRB packets the same for all the extracts or does MRB have different type yeasts depending on the extract?"  The foil packs just don't supply any info about them and I haven't found any on their website. 

40 minutes ago, Mic Todd said:

One other question about MRB yeast comes to mind:  "Are all the MRB packets the same for all the extracts or does MRB have different type yeasts depending on the extract?"  The foil packs just don't supply any info about them and I haven't found any on their website. 

Thanks, Rick.  99% of the time it's an ale yeast, huh?  That too is interesting. 

I think I need to learn a lot more about yeast and (as you said in an earlier reply) plan a beer menu and begin accumulating the necessary ingredients beforehand, within shelf-life limits.   I like having the extra MRB yeast packets on hand in the fridge, just in case.   How does one decide it might be time to re-pitch a batch of beer, anyway?  Or do you never do that?  Thanks ~

I've done 52 batches and never re-pitched.  I've had a couple of batches where there was practically no sign of krausen and the only indication of activity was trub at the bottom of the LBK.  I never pitched more yeast and each batch turned out fine.

ETA:  I imagine this is the genesis of RickBeer's Rule of STOP LOOKING!  :)  If you use good yeast, they're doing their job.  The only thing peeking does is make the brewer worry.

4 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I've done 52 batches and never re-pitched.  I've had a couple of batches where there was practically no sign of krausen and the only indication of activity was trub at the bottom of the LBK.  I never pitched more yeast and each batch turned out fine.

I don't remember who it was, but someone on this forum had mentioned they had needed to re-pitch before.  Which is why I asked.  I don't look at the LBK once I pitch, during fermentation, (other than to make sure it isn't bubbling over, lol).  So, I guess I'll put that thought out of my head.  Thanks, both of you.  😎

40 minutes ago, Mic Todd said:

I don't remember who it was, but someone on this forum had mentioned they had needed to re-pitch before.  Which is why I asked.  I don't look at the LBK once I pitch, during fermentation, (other than to make sure it isn't bubbling over, lol).  So, I guess I'll put that thought out of my head.  Thanks, both of you.  😎

If I remember that correctly, they'd used old yeast and weren't sure if it was still viable.  That's why I made sure to put "If you use good yeast, they're doing their job."  I keep all of my MRB yeast packets in one ziploc bag in the fridge.  About once a month or so I go through it and get rid of the old ones.

31 minutes ago, Shrike said:

If I remember that correctly, they'd used old yeast and weren't sure if it was still viable.  That's why I made sure to put "If you use good yeast, they're doing their job."  I keep all of my MRB yeast packets in one ziploc bag in the fridge.  About once a month or so I go through it and get rid of the old ones.

YEAST KILLER!

25 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I've never had a problem with dry yeast, but recently did with a liquid yeast that arrived from shipment warm and after no activity in the air lock for 3 days, I did pitch dry yeast and it kicked right off.

Learned a lesson there and paid for extra ice pack and insulated envelope for my Altbier I'm brewing tomorrow.

I feel more at home using dry yeast and to me less chance of a problem.

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

Were that we had a brewing supply store nearby, but we don't.  That's why I need to get some inventories built up and haven't tossed away any yeast packets from MRB yet.  They seem to work good with their recipes, so far.  But, in truth, I'd probably not even know when/if they weren't since I leave the LBK alone and undisturbed through-out the fermentation process.  At, this point, I'm like Cato: comfortable with using the dry yeasts.  Unlike him, it's all I know, at this point.

1 hour ago, Mic Todd said:

Were that we had a brewing supply store nearby, but we don't.  That's why I need to get some inventories built up and haven't tossed away any yeast packets from MRB yet.  They seem to work good with their recipes, so far.  But, in truth, I'd probably not even know when/if they weren't since I leave the LBK alone and undisturbed through-out the fermentation process.  At, this point, I'm like Cato: comfortable with using the dry yeasts.  Unlike him, it's all I know, at this point.

I have a store about 20 miles away but their prices are absurd. I get better prices online and shipped to my door.

this is the fun of brewing....the experimentation. i've used lots of dry yeasts and lots of liquids as well, including some interesting Omega strains that don't need temp control. i'm currently experimenting with yeast starters, although unnecessary on a 2.5 gal batch, fermentation took off like a rocket. just try different stuff and see what you like and take notes. i like talking with my LHBS guys. they know their stuff and mine has good prices too which is a bonus.

3 hours ago, Cato said:

I have a store about 20 miles away but their prices are absurd. I get better prices online and shipped to my door.

So far, virtually all of my supplies and mixes have come from MRB.  But when you're 30 miles from town,  55+ miles from a Hardware store (that carries some brewing supplies) and 75+ miles from a real brewery supply store, if you lack something in the inventory that's in the recipe, you have to make do without it, or stop brewing until you can get to town for it. It takes too long sometimes to wait for a delivery package.  Better planning would help.  More patience would help.  More organization would help.  But a brewery store around the corner would really help!

as long as you practice even the tiniest bit of good sanitation practice, it's really hard to mess up beer. yeast are very forgiving. once they get going they make it hard for other critters to grow. open yeast, properly stored should work just fine. i've even divided a yeast pack in half on a piece of tinfoil and put the unused but back in the pack without resulting in any infections or badness. ive also used my fingers to add a few grains of yeast to bottles of high abv beer that had a long secondary fermentation without problem. for something so tiny they really are impressive creatures.

1 hour ago, zorak1066 said:

as long as you practice even the tiniest bit of good sanitation practice, it's really hard to mess up beer. yeast are very forgiving. once they get going they make it hard for other critters to grow. open yeast, properly stored should work just fine. i've even divided a yeast pack in half on a piece of tinfoil and put the unused but back in the pack without resulting in any infections or badness. ive also used my fingers to add a few grains of yeast to bottles of high abv beer that had a long secondary fermentation without problem. for something so tiny they really are impressive creatures.

That's comforting to know because this last batch I just made used the last half of the Safale US-05 that had sat in the fridge for 3+ weeks in its foil pouch. I try to be as sanitary as possible when brewing but our kitchen is really not set up very well for brewing. I remember my wife maintaining a sourdough starter for many years in just a plain mason jar in the bottom of the fridge.  Couldn't hardly kill it -