Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pyromr

Too much foam when I pour

Okay, I need some help. I have mult LBKs and am a devoted Mr Beer brewer for a few years. Here's my issue: when I pour from the bottles I get over 1/2 the glass as foam. I carbonate each bottle using regular sugar. I follow the sugar instructions from my original kit: 3/4 tsp for 12 oz. Any ideas? I tried to search the forums but didn't see anything that matched. Thanks.

15 minutes ago, pyromr said:

Okay, I need some help. I have mult LBKs and am a devoted Mr Beer brewer for a few years. Here's my issue: when I pour from the bottles I get over 1/2 the glass as foam. I carbonate each bottle using regular sugar. I follow the sugar instructions from my original kit: 3/4 tsp for 12 oz. Any ideas? I tried to search the forums but didn't see anything that matched. Thanks.

i use Domino Dots. i order them online from amazon. they are 1/2 tsp each and always gives me perfect carb in a 12 oz bottle. 

Sure use domino dots, one per 12oz. Bottle. That equates to 1/2 tsp. It should result in a perfect carbonation for most everything but maybe a saison or a high gravity beer, which I'm not into anything above 7%. A saison I've just used 1/4 tsp per 12 oz bottle.

me too... dots are great. 1 per 12 oz. 2 per 1/2 liter. maybe 3 per liter depending on style guidelines for carbonation. i used to go higher but started experiencing over carbonation.

saisons can be fizzy btw. thats how i made mine.

As I read it Mr. Beer says it would be 4 dots to 750 ml. I dropped back to 3 dots because I was getting a 1/2 glass of head in most of my beers.  It seems to work for me. I will try one at 2 dots this winter. On the other hand my heavy high ABV stouts always seem to be low carbonation brews. As long as the plastic bottles are firm I figure it's good.

Use 1/2 tsp as suggested.

Make sure you are doing the following:

1) Let the bottle stay in the frig for at least 3 days, for the CO2 to be absorbed into the beer.

2) Pour the first 1/2 of the bottle down the side gently, then the remainder straight into the middle.

If that results in too much head, you have either too much sugar, or an infection.  If it tastes fine, then no infection.