Mr.Beer Community
Fire Rooster

Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout

The most difficult part of steeping grains and partial mashing is holding the temperature within a fairly wide range. If you have an electric range keep in mind the burners will continue to heat your pot after they are turned off. I remove the pot from the burner set it on a pot holder, add the grains then wrap the pot in a clean towel. 

As @Shrike said it's easy to do and that's a good recipe. 

If you like not too hoppy sweeter dark beers here is one to try. I just happened to have the pale choc but you probably could make it all choc. It is an easy steep. It is one of my favorites. You can also cold steep the choc grains overnight in the fridge and use water from that.

Double Deluxe Milk Choc Porter.
Porter HME, 1x Robust, 1xSmooth LMEs, 1/4 cup lactose, 1/2 oz. EKGoldings hop  5 min boil, 20 min steep 160 deg 1 oz choc and 1 oz pale choc grains. Mr B yeast. Ferment 63-65. OG BRIX 12.8

My process:

Steep Grains, drain & rinse grain bag,  make grain water up to 4 cups, boil hops in grain water, turn out flame,  transfer hop bag to LBK into the cold water at 1st mark (I find this prevents splashes later), dissolve all malts and lactose in hot wort, transfer to LBK, top up, and pitch and ferment as usual. 

My range has a warmer burner on the top that will keep pots at less than boiling. It works well for this. I start with 170 deg. water from my electric kettle/water boiler. and I can use that for rinsing too. After pouring on the bagged grains in the pot it ends up at about 160-165. 

Thanks everyone.

Will this work to steep the grains ? I don't foresee any issues with it.

I have an Insta-Pot pressure cooker.  Added 6 cups hot water, set it on keep-warm,

waited 32 minutes to stabilize, then checked temperature. Attached picture is the results.

IMG_20181029_143028693.jpg

1 minute ago, Fire Rooster said:

Thanks everyone.

Will this work to steep the grains ? I don't foresee any issues with it.

I have an Insta-Pot pressure cooker.  Added 6 cups hot water, set it on keep-warm,

waited 32 minutes to stabilize, then checked temperature. Attached picture is the results.

IMG_20181029_143028693.jpg

Lol, I just used mine last night for the first time this fall and was wondering how it would work for grains! Homemade from scratch chicken noodle soup was delicious. Mine is a 8qt, so no reason why it wouldn't work judging by your thermometer.

This is the 6 qt version, I've made lots of good meals with this pressure cooker.

A meat thermometer was used, ordered a liquid thermometer, don't expect different reading, but will double check.

When ready for boil I guess you would simply press saute button, then lift container out when it boils.

3 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

This is the 6 qt version, I've made lots of good meals with this pressure cooker.

A meat thermometer was used, ordered a liquid thermometer, don't expect different reading, but will double check.

When ready for boil I guess you would simply press saute button, then lift container out when it boils.

With no handles, I wouldn't want to mess with lifting boiling water out of there. Brew kettles or stock pots with handles suit me better, but even then I kill the heat and let them cool a bit before moving them.

I got a lot of hours on this pressure cooker.

I simply use oven mitts to lift out, done it many times.

Can't leave SS pot in after shutting off, because heat element takes forever to cool off.

I have a pressure cooker cook book, I've made so many meals with this, even cheesecake.

I made most of these recipes

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Food-Fast-Ultimate-Pressure/dp/1934193798/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0/147-6698215-8513502?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FMJR43STX64KA0WAEWYQ

5 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Do I sterilize hop sack before using ?

Great question! There's no need to sanitize anything that'll touch the wort before you boil. The boil will kill anything in there, which won't have enough time to really cause any problems. 

20 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Would there be an issue using glass marbles to weigh down the hop sack ?

It's better to add more water if your grains are exposed to air. You can expect them to soak up water and expand.