Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai & Brew

4 minutes ago, kedogn said:

100% in agreement.  It’s not possible. It will help you get closer, sure, and for an all-in-one powder, fine.  However, since not all starting water and not all grainbills are the same... it’s not possible to do exactly what it says.  For that reason, I’ve never used it. 

Same thing for me with “Just add some gypsum to your water for IPAs to make them better”.  While “Better” is certainly subjective, nope!   Depending on your grainbill and what you already have in your water makeup, you can make things much worse. 

Personally, I would suggest that until you know what it’s going to do to your water for sure, don’t be adding anything. 

Ah, another magic doubter! What am I gonna do with you guys? If it's on the internet it must be true, right!

Simple as adding the appropriate amount, and then repeating the 5 Star activating chant on the inside of the lid 3 times and then check your mash in 30 min baby and BOOM, 5.2! Ph Magic.

14 minutes ago, Jdub said:

until someone says, "you're really gonna make significantly better beer if you just add _______ to your water", I'm just gonna go buy kroger spring water when it's time to brew. interesting topic though.

Problem is, there is no specific “One Stop Shop” or “Magic Powder” that will do that.  You can literally start with the same water and the same grainbill (and hop schedule) but use different mineral adds (or amounts) in your water and you will have different beers in the end.  One might be a bitter hoppy bomb, while the other might have the hops muted some as it brings the malt more forward and is more balanced. 

#ILoveThisStuff! 

12 minutes ago, kedogn said:

Problem is, there is no specific “One Stop Shop” or “Magic Powder” that will do that.  You can literally start with the same water and the same grainbill (and hop schedule) but use different mineral adds (or amounts) in your water and you will have different beers in the end.  One might be a bitter hoppy bomb, while the other might have the hops muted some as it brings the malt more forward and is more balanced. 

#ILoveThisStuff! 

i might tackle a water book ( saw there are a few out there) someday. there is a section of "how to brew" that was way over my head for now.

19 minutes ago, kedogn said:

#ILoveThisStuff! 

Yeah, and it's time for me to take some learning steps.

Went by the store to get my Christmas dinner whole tenderloin, and while I was there I picked up 5 gallons of spring water, but not the store label which is cheaper than the Deer Park spring water, however Deer Park will furnish the water report by pdf.

So since I'm trying to learn a bit more, I got the more expensive water and downloaded and printed out the 5 page report. I've not filled out a water profile yet on any of the brewing calculators, so I'll try and give it a go while my fermenter are tied up for the next couple weeks.

The fermentation heater is able to keep the inside of the mini fridge within a degree or two of the ink bird setting for the fermenter it's taped to so I  brewed and stuck an LBK in there yesterday and it's doing great. One fermenter w/heater is at 65 and the LBK at 64. No complaints from me on that!

I downloaded Bru'n Water today and have to go through the tutorials. Screwy Brewer is on another forum with me and told me his water profiles in ezRecipe will only support RO and distilled water right now but he hoped to have an expanded water profile written in 2019. I like his ezRecipe program, but going to try a year subscription to Beersmith 3 and see how that program does.

At this point chemical wise besides my magic 5.2 stabilizer, I have Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, and Phosphoric acid. What others might I need?

I still have a few weeks before the mini fridge will be available, so trying to put that time to good use on learning water quality.

18 minutes ago, Cato said:

I downloaded Bru'n Water today and have to go through the tutorials. Screwy Brewer is on another forum with me and told me his water profiles in ezRecipe will only support RO and distilled water right now but he hoped to have an expanded water profile written in 2019. I like his ezRecipe program, but going to try a year subscription to Beersmith 3 and see how that program does.

At this point chemical wise besides my magic 5.2 stabilizer, I have Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, and Phosphoric acid. What others might I need?

I still have a few weeks before the mini fridge will be available, so trying to put that time to good use on learning water quality.

Lactic acid or acidulated malt for pH adjustment. I believe that gypsum also lowers the pH but is undesirable in certain styles. 

This is what i rock. Also you could ads chalk to the list. 

F1A66744-1535-46ED-91BE-FA29D0A46C12.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Lactic acid or acidulated malt for pH adjustment. I believe that gypsum also lowers the pH but is undesirable in certain styles. 

This is what i rock. Also you could ads chalk to the list. 

F1A66744-1535-46ED-91BE-FA29D0A46C12.jpeg

Thanks, @Creeps McLane, the baking soda and Epsom salt I can get at the store. My phosphoric acid I think is also supposed to lower the ph.

43 minutes ago, Cato said:

Downloaded Beersmith 3 today. I've gotten pretty used to Qbrew but time to check out some other software.

First thing I suggest is immediately setting up your equipment profile otherwise it’s just going to be a headache later down the line. After that, its a piece of cake. Mobile or desktop version?

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

First thing I suggest is immediately setting up your equipment profile otherwise it’s just going to be a headache later down the line. After that, its a piece of cake. Mobile or desktop version?

Desktop! Mobile versions of most software are slimmed down. Plus I prefer a bigger view when filling out info blocks.

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Done! Set up a profile for both kettles and fermenters. I'll run a recipe through it for my next batch and see how it settles out. Fortunately they had my Deer Park water in the profile base.

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Done! Set up a profile for both kettles and fermenters. I'll run a recipe through it for my next batch and see how it settles out. Fortunately they had my Deer Park water in the profile base.

i love the scaling feature. I plug in a lot of recipes and then scale to 2 or 3 gal batches, and then clean it up from there. their forum is helpful too.

Went through the tutorials today on BS 3 and then built a AG BIAB recipe for an Irish Red and worked it over making changes and scaling it to where I have a fair handle on it.

I like the program already, even though I'm on the 21 day trial, I'll spring for the subscription.

After reviewing the water changes to get from my source water profile to my chosen target profile, I figured I might as well go all in and get a ph meter, otherwise how would I really be able to quantify a couple points up or down? Of course, I realize this is likely to debunk my magic 5.2 stabilizer @Creeps McLane! 🙄

Ph meter coming today!

Lol, when I left the fishery R&D facility in 2012, I didn't think I'd ever have to monitor water quality again!

Still, here I am again, but once again it becomes necessary.

What can be measured, can be controlled. Pretty much a mantra for a production manager. It always costs more to buy machinery, electronics, whatever that can be adjusted and fine tuned. The payoff is well worth it.

Piggybacking here on @Bonsai & Brew's thread as it seems as good a place to post on ph and water adjustments.

Calibrated my ph meter and got used to the menu buttons etc. Its pretty slick and fairly fast for a pen, to stabilize and lock in a reading. I appreciate that they include a double sided laminated instruction and programming guide, for reference and waterproofed.

Anyway, I wanted to measure my Deer Park Spring Water and then compare that to my ph strips. I ran the test last night and again today with same results. Meter read 6.82 ph and the test strip color comparison didn't quite make it to 5.0. What a bust!

I thought surely that it would indicate more than that, and maybe be off by a few tenths or half a point! I wondered if they would register anything at all so I added a pinch of bicarbonate and stirred it in. That produced a purple off the chart colorl

Maybe I have a bad batch of strips, but they should have shown a dramatic color change since their range is 4.6-6.2.

Lol, I'll practice with it again and check out whether my 5.2 stabilizer is as reliable as my ph test strips!

Oops, forgot to include my pics.

20190104_122326.jpg

20190104_122319.jpg

Edited by Cato
Wording and pics

16 minutes ago, Cato said:

Piggybacking here on @Bonsai & Brew's thread as it seems as good a place to post on ph and water adjustments.

Calibrated my ph meter and got used to the menu buttons etc. Its pretty slick and fairly fast for a pen, to stabilize and lock in a reading. I appreciate that they include a double sided laminated instruction and programming guide, for reference and waterproofed.

Anyway, I wanted to measure my Deer Park Spring Water and then compare that to my ph strips. I ran the test last night and again today with same results. Meter read 6.82 ph and the test strip color comparison didn't quite make it to 5.0. What a bust!

I thought surely that it would indicate more than that, and maybe be off by a few tenths or half a point! I wondered if they would register anything at all so I added a pinch of bicarbonate and stirred it in. That produced a purple off the chart colorl

Maybe I have a bad batch of strips, but they should have shown a dramatic color change since their range is 4.6-6.2.

Lol, I'll practice with it again and check out whether my 5.2 stabilizer is as reliable as my ph test strips!

pH strips are kind of garbage. I bought a pack, used them once and have never used them since. Garbage

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

pH strips are kind of garbage. I bought a pack, used them once and have never used them since. Garbage

I naively thought they might be in the ballpark, @Creeps McLane, but now I know they're worthless.

On a brighter note, I'm really liking how BS v.3 works and looking forward to my next brew day, and curious to see how my numbers perform as well as water adjustments. Having so much fun with this!

34 minutes ago, Cato said:

Oops, forgot to include my pics.

20190104_122326.jpg

20190104_122319.jpg

Jeez I just saw that I paid $8 for these and they're worthless. :(

5 minutes ago, Cato said:

I naively thought they might be in the ballpark, @Creeps McLane, but now I know they're worthless.

On a brighter note, I'm really liking how BS v.3 works and looking forward to my next brew day, and curious to see how my numbers perform as well as water adjustments. Having so much fun with this!

Once you get your water dialed in, BS3 does a great job with water adjustments.

4 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Once you get your water dialed in, BS3 does a great job with water adjustments.

Dawg, I'm really looking forward to that! Input my water report from Deer Park and have a recipe and supplies ready to go for next week. Have one fermenter left to clear out of the mini fridge and bottle, then I'm good to go.

7 hours ago, Cato said:

Jeez I just saw that I paid $8 for these and they're worthless. :(

Agreed.  The Precision Labs test strips appear to be crap.  I bought a second pack of them thinking that my first might be expired or degraded but it made no difference.  The wide range Hydrion papers work great though -- I can tell easily when my pH is somewhere between 5.0-5.5.

image.jpeg