Mr.Beer Community

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

This is what your mash pH should be to maximize amylase enzymatic efficiency, reduce astringency, improve clarity, increase hop utilization and prevent off-flavors. I have never measured mine.  

Lol, they have fancy and expensive spring water at the store with the ph printed on the label. My spring water is down two shelves and costs 75% less.

My mash seems happy enough. ;)

3 hours ago, Cato said:

Lol, they have fancy and expensive spring water at the store with the ph printed on the label. My spring water is down two shelves and costs 75% less.

My mash seems happy enough. ;)

Going forward, I'll be diluting my well water 1:1 with R/O water from my workplace -- gotta get my residual alkalinity down! 

4 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Stealing water from work?  🤯

Shhhhhhh. LOL. 

@Bonsai & Brew, I use Wally's bottled spring water at $0.88/ gallon and an acid rest while mashing. Using ph strips to measure, I've always been in the range of 5.3 to 5.4 without making any chemical alterations to the water.

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Going forward, I'll be diluting my well water 1:1 with R/O water from my workplace -- gotta get my residual alkalinity down! 

That residual alkalinity might be the signature award winning ingredient for Stauhaus Biers!

Are you seeking a higher efficiency or is it to see if you detect a slight change or improvement  in taste? It will be interesting to see what the results will be.

I've been seeking a bit better grain conversion with my BIAB because my crush from suppliers leaves a lot of grain intact.

I've had a few wild swings in conversion, so I got the grain mill and will see what I get on a single crush and a double crush. Extra work for sure but I already feel better about having control over that aspect.

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Are you seeking a higher efficiency or is it to see if you detect a slight change or improvement  in taste? It will be interesting to see what the results will be.

I've been seeking a bit better grain conversion with my BIAB because my crush from suppliers leaves a lot of grain intact.

I've had a few wild swings in conversion, so I got the grain mill and will see what I get on a single crush and a double crush. Extra work for sure but I already feel better about having control over that aspect.

Mash pH is something that I have not paid a lot of attention to and figured it's time to start tweaking my mash-in-sack process.  Improved efficiency would certainly be the prime objective but I'm also curious how/if maintaining the proper mash pH affects the finished beer.  I feel like I'm starting over with my all-grain evolution, but that is the price of progress. :)

Also, I've been playing around with the idea of brewing classic styles using appropriate water profiles.  I've known for awhile that my water is naturally well suited for Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, etc., but because of high alkalinity/bicarbonate, I'll need to dilute that out before building other profiles with brewing salts.  Like you suggested, we may as well control what we can in our brew process and hope for better beer!         

On 11/5/2018 at 9:15 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

This is what your mash pH should be to maximize amylase enzymatic efficiency, reduce astringency, improve clarity, increase hop utilization and prevent off-flavors.

Not to mention having a clearer complexion, brighter smile, and fuller hair!

🤣