Mr.Beer Community
JRCasualBrewer

Bottle didn’t carbonate

I recently bottled a batch of porter from my LBK. I had run out of carbonation drops so I used sugar as directed. The bottles have been sitting for about two and a half weeks. I checked them last night and one of them was not firm at all. I could easily squeeze the bottle. From what I read, that means it’s not carbonating. Can I do anything to save my bottle?

I can't speak specifically to this but in my 1st-ever batch, I too was disappointed in the carbonation - until I realized (learned from guys here) that I was conditioning them in too cool and environment (~65F).  Once I moved the bottles out into the warmer areas of my home (72F) the carbonation began in earnest.  For that reason, I gave the bottles an extra week of conditioning (4 weeks) before I set them to age in the cooler area.  Result was very satisfactory.  The beer had pretty good head and definitely was more carbonated than I thought.  Also, the longer they sat (after the 4 weeks) the better they carbonated.  You could try that.  Don't give up on it, tho. 😃

Thanks. The bottles are in a box in a pretty warm part of the house (68-72 daily) the other bottles have firmed up, but this one did not. I wasn’t sure if I could open it to add more drops or if that would risk contamination 

10 minutes ago, JRCasualBrewer said:

Thanks. The bottles are in a box in a pretty warm part of the house (68-72 daily) the other bottles have firmed up, but this one did not. I wasn’t sure if I could open it to add more drops or if that would risk contamination 

I "re-carb" beers quite often:  thoroughly wash hands, unscrew cap, drop in two Domino's Dots, re-cap.  If you're using regular sugar, sanitize whatever utensils you'll be using that will come into contact with the sugar or bottle.

32 minutes ago, JRCasualBrewer said:

If I understand you right, just one didn't firm up?  That's a bit odd - perhaps you made the same mistake I did when I made my 2nd batch.  Everything turned out perfect and the beer was delicious - except for one bottle.  The one I got distracted on (by an untimely phone call) and forgot to dump out the sanitizer in it.  LOL  That bottle never carbonated, of course, and it tasted awful.  The other were fabulous.  You didn't screw-up when bottling it, did you?

6 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

Shrike knows a ton about brewing.  I'd definitely try his suggestion.

amen to that. i had a Munich Malt Monster batch that I waited 6 months for and then got flat beer. tried @Shrike's suggestion and it does work. just have to be patient. btw. NEVER have problems using 12 oz glass. only flat beer problems have been using PET bottles. i have stopped using them. not worth the risk to me.

never had problems with pet bottles. make sure the cap is screwed down. check the top of the cap for separation.. if youre a gorilla fist like me and overtorque you can cause the top to crack off the sides.  put the bottles in over 70f ambient temp. replace your caps after about 4-5 uses... if you really want to be ocd.

I've used and reused the PET bottles and same caps for over two years now and only had two not firm up. I might have missed them or just miscounted my dots. Adding a couple dots and waiting a few more weeks firmed them up nicely.  Not sure if the oxygen barrier bottles are the trick or not but I think over 90% of my bottles are the Oxy barrier type.