Mr.Beer Community
Squirley Mic

Maple Syrup as Adjunct?

Wondering what to do with this pint of old maple syrup approaching its pull date.  This is the real stuff, not the maple-flavored crap that imitates it, very dark and thin.  Does MRB have any extract recipes that call for maple syrup?  I haven't found any yet but gads, they have a ton of recipes.  Thanks -

( I did find this:  http://vermonthomebrew.com/using-maple-sap-syrup-homebrewed-beer )

4 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

I would guess that ounce for ounce you can calculate it as an equal weight to sugar. Don't expect a lot of maple flavor (if any at all). 

The website I linked to above doesn't give much info on quantities but  it does say one can approximate its contribution to abv increase as that of an equal amount of honey.  I am seriously considering experimenting with this when I make my 'Blameless Stout'.  Hey, why not? 😋

Maple syrup will give absolutely zero maple flavor to your beer.  It is sugar and that is how the yeast will treat it. 

I make a maple wine that is simply maple syrup, water and yeast and it has absolutely no maple flavor at all.  It has more of an earthy flavor to it than a sweet maple flavor.

This ^^^

By and large, anything that we consume that is sweet, when added to a fermentation, loses all sweetness, because the yeast eat the sugar (unless it contains unfermentable sugar).  The average person says "I love the taste of honey, let's add it to a beer".  A brewer knows that honey dries out a beer, and you get honey flavor from honey malt.

Other flavors also come from different sources than people suspect.  "I like chocolate in a beer, I wonder how many chocolate bars they put in this beer?".  Answer - none, chocolate bars contain fat and that ruins the beer.  Chocolate flavors come from grains roasted a specific way, or from cocoa nibs prepared with vodka.

One thing that using maple syrup in a beer will do is make it an expensive batch...

13 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

Wondering what to do with this pint of old maple syrup approaching its pull date.  This is the real stuff, not the maple-flavored crap that imitates it, very dark and thin.  Does MRB have any extract recipes that call for maple syrup?  I haven't found any yet but gads, they have a ton of recipes.  Thanks -

( I did find this:  http://vermonthomebrew.com/using-maple-sap-syrup-homebrewed-beer )

Here's what I'd do with it.

2 hours ago, Shrike said:

LOL, that's exactly what the wife wants to do - cook with it.  I understand it isn't going to add maple flavor - wouldn't want it to,  (yuck).  But being as we have it, it was an expensive commodity that was gifted to us by family in Minnesota and is very sweet, I figured I could salvage it from the compost pile by feeding to the yeastie beasties.  Seems most of you guys think this is a waste of time, tho.  Well, if there's no recipe out there that utilizes it, I guess we can try to find something else to do with this pint.  Thanks all -  😎

2 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Maple syrup will give absolutely zero maple flavor to your beer.  It is sugar and that is how the yeast will treat it. 

I make a maple wine that is simply maple syrup, water and yeast and it has absolutely no maple flavor at all.  It has more of an earthy flavor to it than a sweet maple flavor.

Hey, I've got a pint I'll sell ya!!  😀

1 hour ago, D Kristof said:

To use his entire pint, that's one heavenly seafoodfest. LOL. 

@Mic Todd, add it to a CAL. If it adds even minimal flavor you'll notice. If it acts like honey and dries it out who cares. At least it's not booster.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it.  It might be better used if I make a brine and marinate jerky with it instead.