Mr.Beer Community
McSquirrely

Looking in my Cupboard

Hmmm, I found this lurking in the cupboard, wondering what if...

'Kirkland Sweet Mesquite Seasoning':  "Sea salt, black pepper, chili pepper, red pepper, oregano, dehydrated onion, garlic & red bell pepper, demerara sugar, natural mesquite smoke flavor, citric acid and silicon dioxide to prevent caking".

I suppose the sea salt, citric acid and silicon dioxide are the killers here?  🤔

1 hour ago, MiniYoda said:

Sea salt is definitely not.  I've had beers with it.  I'm interested in what others say, and how much to use for an lbk

Rick's maybe whacking my doll as I write....

I was thinking maybe I could make a tea with this, like I did the hops for my 3rd batch, in the french press.  For my variant on the MRB chili beer.  Wife thinks I'm nuts - so it might possibly work.  Or not -   I'd call it 'Sweetie Mesquitey' 

More cupboard commodities lurking:

Azure Blue, Organic Agave (used in Exp #1)

Un-sulphered Organic Molasses

100% Raw Oregon honey

Miss Spoon's Creamy Chocolate Almond Butter

Ferrero Nutella (Hazelnut spread)

Tollhouse Chocolate chips

Karo Light Syrup

Kirkland brand Albacore Tuna (I think we can forget that one)

McCormick's Ground Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Allspice

Organic, Unsweetened Almond Vanilla liquid

Eden Selected Ume Plum Vinegar

Tomorrow, the pantry....

5 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

Hmmm, I found this lurking in the cupboard, wondering what if...

'Kirkland Sweet Mesquite Seasoning':  "Sea salt, black pepper, chili pepper, red pepper, oregano, dehydrated onion, garlic & red bell pepper, demerara sugar, natural mesquite smoke flavor, citric acid and silicon dioxide to prevent caking".

I suppose the sea salt, citric acid and silicon dioxide are the killers here?  🤔

i wouldn't be looking for any random thing that I can throw in a beer......but.....my local HBS sells AG and extract kits. Interestingly enough, one of them is called Tacohol...

https://www.txbrewing.com/taco-beer-extract-beer-kit.html

I tried a sample and it wasn't my thing, but just saying, you're not the only one looking to make a beer with "alternative" ingredients.

59 minutes ago, Jdub said:

i wouldn't be looking for any random thing that I can throw in a beer......but.....my local HBS sells AG and extract kits. Interestingly enough, one of them is called Tacohol...

https://www.txbrewing.com/taco-beer-extract-beer-kit.html

I tried a sample and it wasn't my thing, but just saying, you're not the only one looking to make a beer with "alternative" ingredients.

Quick Overview

This recipe inspiration begins with a Belgian Witbier base and includes coriander, lime peel, ancho chili, cumin, sea salt, and just a hint of mesquite smoked malt. Garnish this with a lime and feel like you just visited the taco truck! Expect a wave of citrusy refreshment and just a hint of street taco deliciousness.

So, of all the different ingredients I was poking around with, this single recipe contains at least 3 (if not 4) of them!  Amazing.  What can't they make beer out of these days?  Except tuna.

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 12:01 AM, Squirley Mic said:

Amazing.  What can't they make beer out of these days?  Except tuna.

Not tuna? I was thinking anchovies. Tuna might make a novelty Lenten beer.

On a serious note, if adding spicy peppers, go easy. More can be added in a future batch. 

Thanks.  I was actually mulling over the idea that maybe I could figure out a way to brew with the Kirkland brand Sweet Mesquite meat rub.  Seriously.  It contains a lot of different pepper flakes, sea salt and (unfortunately) onion.  However, the wife did set aside some Anaheim and gypsy peppers from her garden for me if I wanted to make a chili beer.  I think she wants me to more than I do...