Mr.Beer Community

What is the affect on the beer if the LBK gets shaken? I was moving the cooler with the LBK to another room (Thanksgiving prep) when my 70 pound clumsy mutt smacked into me. I didn’t drop the cooler, but I’m quite sure the contents got sloshed around quite a bit. It’s in the first few days of fermenting.

12 minutes ago, JRCasualBrewer said:

What is the affect on the beer if the LBK gets shaken? I was moving the cooler with the LBK to another room (Thanksgiving prep) when my 70 pound clumsy mutt smacked into me. I didn’t drop the cooler, but I’m quite sure the contents got sloshed around quite a bit. It’s in the first few days of fermenting.

Unless the area the beer sloshed into was infected with mad cow disease, turburculocious or had some @HoppySmile! drool on it, youll be ok. I move stuff around all the time. I have to move a fermenter tonight too. A little bump wont hurt. 

Actually, some times i give my carboys a little shake if the hop particles are caught on the ridges. Don’t tell anyone else on here ok?

2 hours ago, JRCasualBrewer said:

I've moved mine around occasionally too.  Hasn't seemed to hurt anything.  Good thing you caught it tho - full of wort like that, if it had hit the floor it would probably have split wide open.

18 hours ago, JRCasualBrewer said:

In your first few days of fermentation? Your young foolish happy yeasts probably enjoyed the ride. If you like your beer but can't replicate it again, you'll know what needs to be done.😉

45 minutes ago, JRCasualBrewer said:

Thanks all! I’ve had a few challenges with this batch, including spilling while pouring into the container. Glad to hear this latest adventure shouldn’t make a difference.

Tip - practice with water.  

Pour from the right size pot is easy - except when it's not.  Put 6 cups in your 3 quart or larger pot, then pour into the LBK.  If you spill any, try again.  Or try another pot.

Spilling water is basically free, and doesn't impact your beer.  Spilling wort is a crime and is punishable by removal from this forum.  

2 hours ago, JRCasualBrewer said:

Thanks all! I’ve had a few challenges with this batch, including spilling while pouring into the container. Glad to hear this latest adventure shouldn’t make a difference.

But, just in case,  I'd be more than happy to taste-test it for you when it's all finished.  😎

at end of wk2 i move my buckets to the dining room table where i will bottle after one more week. i always slosh in transport, and end up washing some skeeze from fermentation into the beer. no worries. in a week it has largely settled down to the trub layer.  it's really hard to mess up beer.