Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RickC1970

did my bottling for first batch

The other day i bottled my first batch. I had cold crashed it in the fridge after three weeks in the LBK. I got everything ready (sanitized the bottles, etc.). I noticed when bottling I didn't get any foaming...not sure if that is good or bad. I was able to bottle 10 bottles. I didn't try the 11th as it would have mostly been the trub. I preloaded the bottles with two carb drops each before filling (this are the larger PET bottles that came with the kit). I looked at the bottles today and noticed they are real clear when I shine my light through them. Thre are a few with some sediment...which seems logical since they were the last few to be filled. Does everything sound normal? other than bulging bottles is there anything I need to look for while they carbonate/ condition?

28 minutes ago, RickC1970 said:

The other day i bottled my first batch. I had cold crashed it in the fridge after three weeks in the LBK. I got everything ready (sanitized the bottles, etc.). I noticed when bottling I didn't get any foaming...not sure if that is good or bad. I was able to bottle 10 bottles. I didn't try the 11th as it would have mostly been the trub. I preloaded the bottles with two carb drops each before filling (this are the larger PET bottles that came with the kit). I looked at the bottles today and noticed they are real clear when I shine my light through them. Thre are a few with some sediment...which seems logical since they were the last few to be filled. Does everything sound normal? other than bulging bottles is there anything I need to look for while they carbonate/ condition?

Everything sounds good. What size bottles are you using?

you don’t really want foaming. That’s why a bottling wand is so nice. No oxygen being introduced 

sometimes residual starsan in the bottle can make it foam over the top if you are slow to remove the bottling wand.

on my last batch my old friend  Bottling Wand cracked on trying to remove the hose.  had it for 5 years.. sad.  got a replacement coming today i think.

i always get every last drop possible into a bottle. my last bottle is usually more trub than beer but i let it go without priming sugar. i stick it in the fridge and i can get more beer that way. flat, but who cares? did i mention i'm notoriously cheap?  :P

I tried my first bottle last night after chilling it for threes days. I know it was a few days early but I figured what the heck. I poured it into a glass slowly. There was no foam and I thought it was too early. I tasted it and it tasted pretty decent especially for a light beer. It had an amber color that looked similar to Sam Adams. It did seem carbonated perhaps a bit light on the carbonation so I will wait and try another bottle after I get back from my trip to the mountains. Overall I'm pretty pleased with my first batch.

You want to pour the first half of the bottle down the side of the glass, and the second half right into the middle of the beer, generating whatever head it can.  In general, Mr. Beer recipes don't generate much head unless you steep some carapils (when you start steeping grains), or wheat, or add some wheat LME/DME.  Make sure you leave the last bit in the bottle, as it gets cloudy during the pour you want to stop pouring.

Make sure the conditioning and carbonation takes place at 70 or above for 4 weeks.

5 hours ago, RickC1970 said:

Overall I'm pretty pleased with my first batch.

hey congrats! glad to hear that it's a success. you're entering into a fun and addictive hobby.