Mr.Beer Community
Haggard

New to brewing. Anyone know Art Car IPA by Saint Arnold brewing co can be cloned with an lbk?

Hello,

I'm brand new to brewing except for that one time 15 years ago I made one batch with an LBK.  I've been looking at "pro" kits but I really want to keep things small, so the LBK is very attractive to me.  I do have one question in mind for you experienced brewers: my all time favorite, to date, is Saint Arnold's Art Car IPA.  Is it possible to clone this with an LBK or get something similar? I've been reading reviews on loose ingredients from suppliers such and it seems that high ABV, and citrusy flavor is just a matter of getting the correct ingredients together.  

Also, should I consider installing an air lock onto the lbk or getting a 2nd lbk to ferment separately? 

Haggard,

First of all welcome.

Since you say you are new to brewing the general recommendation is for you to first make several pilot batches so that you have the processes down and understand the brewing process.  Making a clone of a particular beer will either be an extract recipe or more likely an all grain recipe.  Neither of which you are probably ready to tackle at this point with good results.

Since you already have an LBK, my suggestion would be to buy one of Mr. Beer IPA refills and brew it only after familiarizing yourself with the processes necessary to brew good beer.  Plenty of advice on this forum has already been given multiple times by the experienced brewers on this forum.  Then after you have brewed your first recipe, try another and then try another.  With time you will get better at the craft and will then have enough knowledge to tackle a high ABV clone of a beer.

Dawg

Thanks for the welcome and response.  I will take your advice and brew a few vailable kits and read through the forum.  I'm still hopeful of the prospect of keeping my favorite beer after I move out of its region.  

Welcome to the forum, Haggard, and your return to brewing!

Lots of good reading and helpful advice to be found on here.

My first and one of the most helpful advice i got was on controlling your fermentation temps, which is crucial to your yeast performance.

Let us know how we can help.

1 hour ago, Haggard said:

Is it possible to clone this with an LBK or get something similar?

When I started brewing, I asked my LHBS owner (who happens to be one of the large online presences also), whether it mattered if I fermented in my LBK or not.  His response was "you can ferment in a toilet tank, the fermenter doesn't matter".  While not practical (no, I did not try), the LBK is a fermenter.  Period.  You can ferment virtually anything in it.  I often made 5 gallon batches and split them between 2 LBKs.  I own a bunch of LBKs now, ten at least, many bought for $5 on Craigslist.  

1 hour ago, Haggard said:

Should I consider adding an airlock?

NO!  The LBK has vents in the threads under the cap.  

Great advice to SLOW DOWN...

I have cloned:

Great Lakes Brewing - Edmunds Fitzgerald Porter

Big Sky Brewing - Moose Drool

Bell's Brewing - Best Brown, Two Hearted

New Belgium Brewing - Fat Tire

Coors - Blue Moon

White House - White House Honey Porter, White House Honey Ale (actually not clones, made them, since the recipes are in the public domain)

5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I have cloned:

Great Lakes Brewing - Edmunds Fitzgerald Porter

Big Sky Brewing - Moose Drool

Bell's Brewing - Best Brown, Two Hearted

New Belgium Brewing - Fat Tire

Coors - Blue Moon

White House - White House Honey Porter, White House Honey Ale (actually not clones, made them, since the recipes are in the public domain)

I'd love to have a recipe for the Moose Drool clone myself, Rick.  Probably my favorite domestic (if it's considered one).  Unless, of course, it can't be cloned in the LBK with an MRB extract?

19 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

I'd love to have a recipe for the Moose Drool clone myself, Rick.  Probably my favorite domestic (if it's considered one).  Unless, of course, it can't be cloned in the LBK with an MRB extract?

Can't clone it with a MRB extract.  Best version is an all grain recipe.  There is an extract recipe as well.  Look on Northern Brewers site for Caribou Slobber.

Also note, that the recipe instructions are on their site with ingredient quantities so you don't actually have to buy it from them.

You can't clone a beer with Mr. Beer extracts.  I'll make that blanket statement. 

To clone a commercial beer, you need to (at a minimum):

1) Use Steeping Grains for color, flavor, and aroma.

2) Use LME (liquid malt extract) or DME (dry malt extract), for the base malt.

3) Addition of hops, at the right times, for bittering, flavor, and aroma.

4) Utilization of the proper yeast.

As I said prior, you can ferment ANYTHING in the Mr. Beer fermenter, I have no other fermenters besides the LBKs.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

You can't clone a beer with Mr. Beer extracts.  I'll make that blanket statement.

As I said prior, you can ferment ANYTHING in the Mr. Beer fermenter, I have no other fermenters besides the LBKs.

Thanks Rick. 

btw, the LBK is all I will probably ever use, too.  I may own multiple numbers soon, but I like the size and convenience.

1 hour ago, BDawg62 said:

Can't clone it with a MRB extract.  Best version is an all grain recipe.  There is an extract recipe as well.  Look on Northern Brewers site for Caribou Slobber.

Also note, that the recipe instructions are on their site with ingredient quantities so you don't actually have to buy it from them.

Thanks BDawg.  If I decide to brew it, I'll call it 'Elk Spit'.  We have a large population of elk living hereabouts and yes, they do spit.  And slobber.  And pee, a lot.