Mr.Beer Community
Fire Rooster

Partial Mash

1 hour ago, Fire Rooster said:

oh, with all the small citra hop additions (Zombie Dust clone recipe) are hop sacks necessary ?

you know what i did? i just threw the hops in with the boil (no sacks). i also cold crashed and didn't have any issues with hops floating around. When we're all drinking home brew we don't pour that last 1/4" anyway, so you'll be good! folks on this forum know far more than me about methods (and crystal malt types....jeesh!) It turned out fantastic for me. i like super citra hopped brew. I did throw 1 sack in for the dry hop though.....

Finished making Zombie Dust clone.

When boil started it foamed up then subsided.

Everything executed with surgical precision, with the exeption

of one ice cube falling into wort.  Put ice in kitchen

sink to cool pot of wort.  When adding more ice to sink

one cube flipped into wort from bag. 

I think Cascade hops had a better aroma than Citra.

19 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Finished making Zombie Dust clone.

When boil started it foamed up then subsided.

Everything executed with surgical precision, with the exception

of one ice cube falling into wort.  Put ice in kitchen

sink to cool pot of wort.  When adding more ice to sink

one cube flipped into wort from bag

I think Cascade hops had a better aroma than Citra.

Unfortunately, your beer may be ruined.  To ensure it's safe, please mail it to my testing facility and I will personally check every bottle.

RickBeer

123 I Will Drink Your Beer Drive

Ann Arbor, MI  48105

Boiling wort.  Ice cube falls in.  Melts, kills anything before wort cools.  All is well.  

On 12/2/2018 at 9:44 AM, Jdub said:

do you live near a home brew shop? you can make a great batch with just some steeped grains, dme and hops. i found an ipa recipe online that i've already made twice in my LBK. no twang whatsoever.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/ZombieDirt2Gallon-1527037377775.pdf?10192803001442395523

2 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Great can't wait, my first non HME

now the pressure is on. i have raved about it to you. i hope it turns out good for you. i suspect you will taste the sample at bottling and smile if you like hoppy ipa's.

17 hours ago, Jdub said:

now the pressure is on. i have raved about it to you. i hope it turns out good for you. i suspect you will taste the sample at bottling and smile if you like hoppy ipa's.

IPA's are my favorite.  Your suggestion with Zombie brew was a change desperately needed.

Finished bottling Zombie clone. Boy did those dry hops suck up water.

Last 2 bottles were tough with hop sludge clogging, even after 3 days cold crash.

Sanitized another LBK then poured hop sludge water into it, minus the large chunks of hop sludge.

Will wait until it settles to see if I can get more out of it, 9 1/2 bottles so far.

Very delicious smell and taste.

@Fire Rooster i was looking at that NB site where you found that recipe (don't worry i won't buy from them. will support my LHBS) they have some good 2 gallon recipes on there. was looking at their Dead Ringer recipe. says it's a clone of a popular michigan pale ale. is that bell's 2 hearted?

7 hours ago, Jdub said:

@Fire Rooster i was looking at that NB site where you found that recipe (don't worry i won't buy from them. will support my LHBS) they have some good 2 gallon recipes on there. was looking at their Dead Ringer recipe. says it's a clone of a popular michigan pale ale. is that bell's 2 hearted?

Never heard of bell's 2 hearted, I'm kinda/sorta new to beer.

I was a wine snob for decades, Red, Dry, Napa & Sonoma valley, Cabernet & Merlot.

Had a glass or two with dinner almost every night for 25+ years.

Then about two years ago I just stopped drinking wine, don't care for it any more.

For whatever reason my taste buds are honing in on Pale Ales & IPA's.

Great minds think alike, starting Dead Ringer tomorrow 🍺

3 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Never heard of bell's 2 hearted, I'm kinda/sorta new to beer.

I was a wine snob for decades, Red, Dry, Napa & Sonoma valley, Cabernet & Merlot.

Had a glass or two with dinner almost every night for 25+ years.

Then about two years ago I just stopped drinking wine, don't care for it any more.

For whatever reason my taste buds are honing in on Pale Ales & IPA's.

Great minds think alike, starting Dead Ringer tomorrow 🍺

new to beer? does not compute.....LOL. go to your local beer store and pick some up. excellent brew. see if you like it 1st. i think it's great. those are just some simple recipes that are really good IMHO. at least to a newbie brewer like myself.

7 hours ago, Jdub said:

new to beer? does not compute.....LOL. go to your local beer store and pick some up. excellent brew. see if you like it 1st. i think it's great. those are just some simple recipes that are really good IMHO. at least to a newbie brewer like myself.

On special occasions I would have Coors Light or Corona Light,

never in depth like now. 

On 1/2/2019 at 8:56 PM, Jdub said:

Years ago, that recipe was called "Three Hearted Ale" but they changed the name to avoid a lawsuit from Bell's. Does that answer your question?

7 hours ago, bpgreen said:

Years ago, that recipe was called "Three Hearted Ale" but they changed the name to avoid a lawsuit from Bell's. Does that answer your question?

oh wow. yes it does. thanks.