Mr.Beer Community

After many different extract brews, not impressed.

Three partial mash beers are currently fermenting, Black Beer'd., Sticky Wicket, & Santa Rita.

The different malts have a good aroma, the hops aroma is heavenly, the extract aroma hmmm.

I'm done with extract brewing, lets see where partial mash takes me.

11 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Three partial mash beers are currently fermenting, Black Beer'd., Sticky Wicket, & Santa Rita.

The different malts have a good aroma, the hops aroma is heavenly, the extract aroma hmmm.

I guess a straight up extract is not for everybody. I only did two before going to HME partial mash's. My favorite though is partial mash  recipes with LME and grain. Whether I have a big percentage of one or the other, the brews have turned out pretty good and no twang or off flavors.

22 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Those two are among my favorites.

On 11/29/2018 at 3:51 PM, Fire Rooster said:

I fully support you in this journey. I may come off as biased but ive done all styles of brewing. One thing ive learned along the way is the quality of your brews are linear with the effort you put into them. 

On 11/29/2018 at 3:51 PM, Fire Rooster said:

you have some good ones fermenting....BBP and SRPA are 2 of my favs as well. Partial mash or using DME/LME are the only way to go for your next step in your brewing career.

I love doing partial mashes, but my work schedule doesnt always allow me to. A regular extract comes in handy in how quickly I can make it up. Strangely enough though, American Ale deluxe is one my favs, and that's after having done many partials and doctored extracts.

1 hour ago, Fire Rooster said:

Next sale might order 2 one gallon kits that use DME. Gonna do what I gotta do, I'm being overdosed with twang !

do you live near a home brew shop? you can make a great batch with just some steeped grains, dme and hops. i found an ipa recipe online that i've already made twice in my LBK. no twang whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Jdub said:

do you live near a home brew shop? you can make a great batch with just some steeped grains, dme and hops. i found an ipa recipe online that i've already made twice in my LBK. no twang whatsoever.

Yes, Brewers apprentice, Freehold NJ, Screwy Brewer is associated with them somehow

21 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Yes, Brewers apprentice, Freehold NJ, Screwy Brewer is associated with them somehow

Try this one. It's a 2 gallon Zombie Dust clone:

steep 4 oz each of carapils and crystal malts in about 1.5 gallons of water at 152 deg. for 30 minutes.

remove grains and bring to boil and remove from heat

add 3 lbs Briess Golden Light DME

Boil for 60 min. here is the hop schedule

.2 oz Citra 60 min

.4 oz Citra 20 min

.4 oz Citra 10 min

.4 oz Citra 5 min

.6 oz Citra 0 min

cool your wort and add to LBK and top off to 2 gallons

Safale S-04 yeast

1 oz Citra Dry hop last 5 days

i've made it 2x and think it's great.

35 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

"Crystal malts" is unclear to me.  Crystal / Caramel malt comes in various color / sweetness, from 10L to 120L.  

thats what the recipe said. i used crystal 60. i don't know the different varieties well enough to know the difference.

1 minute ago, Fire Rooster said:

Where online can I find the recipe ?

i just posted the entire thing as i read it. i think i got it from another forum as i was searching for 2 gallon recipes. you should try it.

7 hours ago, Jdub said:

thats what the recipe said. i used crystal 60. i don't know the different varieties well enough to know the difference.

The recipe you found is poor then, because there is a huge difference between the ends of the spectrum (see below).

As BDawg62 stated, since you decided to use C60, put that in the recipe when you pass it on.  

I think it's great when people find recipes.  However, do your homework.  Look up what the stuff is, and what effect it will have.  If you have a LHBS, go in and EAT the grain.  That's right, pickup a few kernels and chomp on them, and see if you get the flavor that they say you will.  

10 - candy-like sweetness, mild caramel

20 - same description as 10

30 - sweet, caramel, toffee

40 - same description as 30

60 - sweet, pronounced caramel

80 - pronounced caramel, slightly burnt sugar, raisiny

90 - pronounced caramel, slightly burnt sugar, raisiny, prunes

120 -  pronounced caramel, burnt sugar, raisiny, prunes

And of course the higher the number, the darker the color.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Caramel.htm#10L

47 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

The recipe is poor then, because there is a huge difference between the ends of the spectrum (see below).

I think it's great when people find recipes.  However, do your homework.  Look up what the stuff is, and what effect it will have.  If you have a LHBS, go in and EAT the grain.  That's right, pickup a few kernels and chomp on them, and see if you get the flavor that they say you will.  

10 - candy-like sweetness, mild caramel

20 - same description as 10

30 - sweet, caramel, toffee

40 - same description as 30

60 - sweet, pronounced caramle

80 - pronounced caramel, slightly burnt sugar, raisiny

90 - pronounced caramel, slightly burnt sugar, raisiny, prunes

120 -  pronounced caramel, burnt sugar, raisiny, prunes

And of course the higher the number, the darker the color

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Caramel.htm#10L

Ive always been told not to eat the crystal malts. Theyre hard as a rock i thought.  At least thats what a Briess rep told me at homebrew con. Now vienna and pale malt and golden promise, me and my son snack on a kernel before i mill it. Good bonding experiences

I have no problem eating them either.  The Briess rep probably doesn't promote eating them because a 20L and a 40L are different in quantity but if you look closely they are a mix of light and darker grains.  The 40L has more dark than the 20L.  If you were to get all lighter grains in your sample you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

JDub,

You are fine, just understand that sharing a recipe requires that you input the complete information.  Since you used C60 for your beer you should have stated that in the recipe.  Remember there are folks on this forum who have relatively little knowledge about brewing and others who have vast amounts of knowledge about brewing.  The difficulties arise in answering the questions of the former and quieting the later.😉

Dawg

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

just trying to help someone out with a recipe that i've had good success with and haven't had any extract twang issues. it's probably lacking some technicalities, but it was good enough for me. tough crowd!

I was pointing out that the recipe you found was lacking, not pointing at you for posting it.  I edited my response to clarify that.