Mr.Beer Community

first, sorry to correct you, but it doesn't sterilize.  sanitize and sterilize is slightly different.

Second, I think it's been posted here before, but I think the Mr. Beer team doesn't recommend more than a day.  That's my usual rule of thumb.  Make what I need for the day, pour it out if I didn't use it.

1 hour ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

really depends which one you are talking about I think

MRB's sanitizer.  I did buy more, in bulk, but I'm not certain it's the same thing, didn't get it from MRB.  Forgot to compare the ingredients.

Not sure what you bought, but...

If it says "sanitizer", and is meant for beer/wine/distilled/etc, then ok.

If it says anything about wash, or has any aromas/colors/detergents, that's not sanitizer.

If it is a dry powder, keep it sealed as long as possible.

If you mix it with water, it'll last about a day, at worst two.

Mr. Beer's recipes and kits come with sanitizer, and rarely should you need to buy more.  Once you move on to larger equipment, you will use more, but personally, anything that touches my wort goes into the dishwasher and I hit the Sanitize mode.  That includes glass bottles, after properly washed with an oxy product.

if it is truly sanitizer, just keep your powder dry, and you'll be fine

It's about the same stuff as MRB sanitizer, one can't tell the difference on close inspection. 

I ask because with recipes like Pumpkin Rising, when you need to make the puree and spices after the first week, there's some sanitizing you need to do.  The single packets that come with the extract are used in the kegging and bottling stages, half for each.  So, I bought more sanitizer for when I need to clean utensils, etc. for use in mid-stage, so-to-speak.  I'll also need some (very little) when I add the vanilla extract to my rendition of 'Nilla Porter - an experiment I'm calling Villy M'nilly. 

Since I kegged the Villy M'nilly today and will need to add the vanilla in a week, I thought I'd hold some of the sanitizer over from the kegging step to sanitize the utensils, etc.  What I actually did was drop the measuring spoon into some of the sanitizer (in a small jar) and will leave it there till it's time to measure out the vanilla next week.

I'm probably going to be chewed up and spit out like cheap bubble gum on this forum for saying this, but

When it comes to utensils, brewing pots, whisks for aerating the wort, spatulas to remove as much HME out of the can as I can, everything goes through the dish washer.  If the sanitizer cycle (extreme heat) is good enough for my plates, cups and utensils, it's good enough for the brewing tools.  I just leave the stuff in the dishwasher until I'm ready to brew.

But, I'm a bachelor who lives on tv dinners, so the dishwasher is used only for brewing stuff.

As you know, you can't put an LBK or PET bottles in the dish washer, so that's when I use the sanitizer. 

Oh, and if you have something small that is non metallic and non soft plastic (Tupper Ware, Muslin Sacks, etc), add water and microwave for 3 minutes. 

@RickBeer   batter UP

8 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

I'm probably going to be chewed up and spit out like cheap bubble gum on this forum for saying this, but

When it comes to utensils, brewing pots, whisks for aerating the wort, spatulas to remove as much HME out of the can as I can, everything goes through the dish washer. 

@RickBeer   batter UP

I envy ya.  Around these parts I AM the dishwasher!  We live on well water and a septic system - dishwashers are verboten.  Sure would make life easier, tho -

(do have a microwave, tho!! 😎)

The Mr Beer sanitizer, I use full strength as a cleaner to clean my LBK after bottling.  For sanitizing, I use StarSan and I will keep that around for a couple weeks without issues.  I wouldn't keep the Mr B sanitizer around after mixing it.  Two different products, two different ways they work, makes the difference.

29 minutes ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

The Mr Beer sanitizer, I use full strength as a cleaner to clean my LBK after bottling.  For sanitizing, I use StarSan and I will keep that around for a couple weeks without issues.  I wouldn't keep the Mr B sanitizer around after mixing it.  Two different products, two different ways they work, makes the difference.

I've heard of StarSan, but haven't owned or used it.  Might be something worth checking out in the future.  Right now I have a lot of the powder similar (if not the same) as the MRB sanitizer and it's all I know at this point.  Next items for me to consider might be that and Carapils malt which I am also just learning about - for head and body.

starsan is great. it is relatively noncaustic though if you have delicate skin or open scratches and cuts...wear gloves. it burns a little on open skin. the makers of starsan used to at presentations for sales, mix up a batch and drink some i heard to prove it is safe (when mixed to directions). also be careful not to leave it sit on counters or tile floors as it will stain a little. it looks like water spots on my counter that never go away because the acid content has stripped some of the finish.

starsan can be made up in advance and stored in a bucket for months. you will want to put saran wrap over the top before you put a lid on. as starsan sits, the bucket will develop condensation under the lid. the water will get into the gasket and you might develop black mold in the gasket and underside of the lid.. possibly the sides of the bucket too. no worries though. dip paper towel into the sanitizer and wipe it clean... change the lid. wash/sanitize the lid and gasket.

as long as the starsan keeps a PH of about 2 i think it is effective. it will not quickly break down. after sitting for a month or so i just drop a little more star san into the bucket and stir to bump down the ph a little. (low is acidic. high is basic. you want acidic). i dip stuff in the bucket to sanitize and reuse over and over without problems.  it is also fast. a quick dip or soak and youre bucket or tool is sanitized (if clean when it went in.. you cant sanitize poopy tools).

it will not add flavors to you beer like iodophor might so it does not require rinsing off. they say 'dont fear the foam!' because it is safe.

remember that starsan is a mild acid. exercise care in handling and dont use it to wash your eyes out and youre fine.  :P

6 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

Sanitizing and cleaning are not the same thing.  You can't use sanitizer to wash beer making equipment.

1) You can't look at powder and analyze what it is.  If you bought bulk powder, it should have a name, and then you know what you own.  Laundry detergent looks the same also...

2) Mr. Beer's sanitizer can be stored, for a week, in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  Then it needs to come to room temp to be used.  If you just want to clean with it (not sanitize), then you could store it longer, but the oxygen content is gone at that point.

3) Sanitizing a hop sack, or a measuring cup, or such can be done with a pot of boiling water.  Or a cup of boiling water in a microwave.

4) You should NOT store things with liquid sanitizer for periods of time.  StarSan, an acid, will eat through things like chrome.

5) I use a batch of StarSan for several months, stored in a bucket with a lid.  

6) Mr. Beer sanitizer, made at double strength, can in fact be used for cleaning.  If you read the packet, it says "No-Rinse Cleanser".  There are products that are similar to this, i.e. One Step and Easy Clean.  LD Carlson, who makes Easy Clean, told me that it's the same as One Step, but can't be labeled as a sanitizer because they haven't gone through the process ($$$) to get it labeled as such.  

7) The dishwasher can be used for sanitizing, but it's not recommended.  Bottles don't get properly washed inside, and rinse agents aren't good for beer bottles.  Utensils would be fine going through a sanitizing cycle, which is not the same as heated dry.  You could also bake metal utensils in your oven to sanitize them.  But that's all pretty silly, when dipping them in sanitizer is a one and done thing.  I would not store anything for a period of time and then consider it sanitized.

48 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Sanitizing and cleaning are not the same thing.  You can't use sanitizer to wash beer making equipment.

I understand that, but Mr Beer said in full strength, their product can be used as a cleaner and, well, it works very well.  You just have to rinse it well afterwards, you know, before sanitizing in my case, using starsan

edit:  what rick said

10 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

6) Mr. Beer sanitizer, made at double strength, can in fact be used for cleaning.  If you read the packet, it says "No-Rinse Cleanser".  There are products that are similar to this, i.e. One Step and Easy Clean.  LD Carlson, who makes Easy Clean, told me that it's the same as One Step, but can't be labeled as a sanitizer because they haven't gone through the process ($$$) to get it labeled as such.  

7) The dishwasher can be used for sanitizing, but it's not recommended.  Bottles don't get properly washed inside, and rinse agents aren't good for beer bottles.  Utensils would be fine going through a sanitizing cycle, which is not the same as heated dry.  You could also bake metal utensils in your oven to sanitize them.  But that's all pretty silly, when dipping them in sanitizer is a one and done thing.  I would not store anything for a period of time and then consider it sanitized.

As for #6, I heard once (possibly by you) that the sanitizer is not a wash, so that's what I went by.  Thanks for the updated information.  I use the Oxyclean wash which is well recommended on this forum (green lid) for washing things.

As for #7, I use the Oxyclean to wash the bottles, rinse them out completely, then put them in the dish washer.  I run a cycle without any dish soap, just plain hot water and heat to sanitize them.  The PET bottles and the LBK obviously don't go in the dish washer, so I use the powder sanitizer for them.

1 minute ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

I understand that, but Mr Beer said in full strength, their product can be used as a cleaner and, well, it works very well.  You just have to rinse it well afterwards, you know, before sanitizing in my case, using starsan

yes, I'm being corrected on that.  I've been in this hobby for three years, and STILL learn something new almost every day.

12 hours ago, RickBeer said:

1) You can't look at powder and analyze what it is.  If you bought bulk powder, it should have a name, and then you know what you own.  Laundry detergent looks the same also...

I looked it up (my invoice) it was a product called 'One Step' no rinse cleaner from Home Brew Stuff.  

Says the manufacturer:  " One Step is an environmentally sound no-rinse cleaner that prevents re-contamination through rinsing. Utilizes active oxygen to sanitize. Add 1 Tbsp. per gallon of warm water and rinse/soak your materials. Ensure at least a 30 second contact for best results."

I doubt leaving my plastic measuring spoon in a small jar of it will hurt anything but yeah, next time I will just toss it in some boiling water for a minute instead. Thanks!  😎

star san is really so much more betterer...really.  take a washed bottle..  dunk to fill, let sit for about 10 seconds... drain back into bucket and set bottle aside while you continue. cant get much easier.

open bucket... dip... sit.. .use. tada. i never bother to sanitize until i am ready to use something too. no point sanitizing a washed bucket that is going to storage for a month. . . or a spoon.

11 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

I looked it up (my invoice) it was a product called 'One Step' no rinse cleaner from Home Brew Stuff.  

Says the manufacturer:  " One Step is an environmentally sound no-rinse cleaner that prevents re-contamination through rinsing. Utilizes active oxygen to sanitize. Add 1 Tbsp. per gallon of warm water and rinse/soak your materials. Ensure at least a 30 second contact for best results."

I doubt leaving my plastic measuring spoon in a small jar of it will hurt anything but yeah, next time I will just toss it in some boiling water for a minute instead. Thanks!  😎

See #6 on my response re: One Step.

One Step will not hurt your spoon.  However, if put it in a jar for say a few weeks, after a week it has no more active oxygen, so it's not sanitizing, it's just a jar of stagnant water.

The acid-based cleaners will eat metal over time.  I had to replace a pair of tongs that I let sit in the sanitizer each time I brewed, i.e. maybe 4 or 5 hours.  Ate the chrome coating right away.

I have a 5 gallon water container from the grocery store, i fill that baby with maybe 3 gallons of sanitizer. I keep it until it looks disgusting or i leave it out over night with out the cap. Usually its my fault that i have to mix up a new batch. Id say a batch lasts me at least two months

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

The acid-based cleaners will eat metal over time.  I had to replace a pair of tongs that I let sit in the sanitizer each time I brewed, i.e. maybe 4 or 5 hours.  Ate the chrome coating right away.

Yeessh, powerful stuff