Mr.Beer Community
Fire Rooster

Cleaning 740 ML PET Bottles

Documented a few times on the forum.  Do NOT use a brush on the plastic bottles.  

After pouring your beer, rinse the trub out of the bottle.  Fill the bottle with warm (not hot) water to the top, and let it sit while you enjoy your beer.  

Dump out some of the water, and then put your hand over the top (or the cap) and shake vigorously.  Dump it all out, do this for all your bottles.

Fill the first bottle 1/2 - 3/4 way with warm water, add a drop of unscented dish soap, and shake vigorously.  Pour this solution into the next bottle.  Rinse the first bottle several times.  Repeat this step for each bottle, reusing the soapy water over and over.  Add more water if you need to.  

This is essentially how I do it - the wife has knowledge about washing anything plastic that will/may contain food or beverage again. But I never thought to use the same water in each bottle, pretty conservative method, Rick!

I still hope MRB will offer their 740ml bottles in glass someday, because the size is ideal for us.  I can fit more bottles in my beer cooler in this size and shape than any other and the two-serving volume is ideal.

what i use when not doing glass:

i buy 1 liter bottles of carbonated water. our tap water here is crap.  since the bottles held pressure they can be used for beer. wash... rinse... put on a rack upside down to dry... put in a bag.

when i go to use them.. fill with stansan solution, drain. repeat with caps. boom.

the only issue:  the bottles i use are all clear. since my bottles are like me and never see the light of day, not a problem.  :P

1 liter is perfect for me. i can easily do 1 liter of any strength beer without a problem.

12 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

I still hope MRB will offer their 740ml bottles in glass someday, because the size is ideal for us.  I can fit more bottles in my beer cooler in this size and shape than any other and the two-serving volume is ideal.

https://www.txbrewing.com/equipment/bottling/bottles/beer-bottles/22-oz-bottles-bombers-12-case.html

they are out there....shop for the best price/shipping...etc.

I clean all my bottles by rinse twice and shake out trub right after I've poured, then one drop of 7th gen unscented dish soap and fill to top. About every 2-3 days I'll  rinse them out twice vigoursly and put them on the bottle tree.

3 hours ago, Cato said:

Yah, I sent him a link for glass 22oz and free shipping. Price for 12- $14.25

i don't have any bombers myself. think i'll get a case next time i'm at my brew shop. saves space for sure.

10 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

the only issue:  the bottles i use are all clear. since my bottles are like me and never see the light of day, not a problem.  :P

1 liter is perfect for me. i can easily do 1 liter of any strength beer without a problem.

I guess you could always buy the 1 liter 7-Up or similar (green) bottles - then feed the contents to the kids (or grandkids) and when they're done bouncing off the ceiling, commandeer them to rinse them out and store 'em for ya

3 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

I guess you could always buy the 1 liter 7-Up or similar (green) bottles - then feed the contents to the kids (or grandkids) and when they're done bouncing off the ceiling, commandeer them to rinse them out and store 'em for ya

Brown.  Use brown bottles.  Do not use green or clear, unless you want skunked beer.

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Brown.  Use brown bottles.  Do not use green or clear, unless you want skunked beer.

I was teasing him, Rick.  The only beer I've ever seen in green bottles I didn't like, Micky's and Heiniken, tho most everyone I know thinks the latter is good.  Brown is pretty much traditional for me.  But thanks, I didn't know about the green making beer skunky.

12 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

I was teasing him, Rick.  The only beer I've ever seen in green bottles I didn't like, Micky's and Heiniken, tho most everyone I know thinks the latter is good.  Brown is pretty much traditional for me.  But thanks, I didn't know about the green making beer skunky.

Buy Heineken in bottles, and in cans.  Compare them side by side.

Beer in green or clear bottles gets light struck / skunked very quickly.  Pour a glass of beer, with a small amount in another glass.  Put the small amount in direct sunlight for 1 minute.  Smell and compare them.

Some beers (Miller) use a special form of hop extract to avoid this problem.

When I empty a 740 ml PET bottle I immediately put a drop of dish soap in it, fill 2/3with warm water, agitate the hell out it, repeat twice with no soap. Dry upside down. Sanitize before use.

I use clear plastic 20 oz soda bottles as trub bottles. I carb/condition and store them in a dark cupboard in the basement until such time I sample them.

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

I use clear plastic 20 oz soda bottles as trub bottles. I carb/condition and store them in a dark cupboard in the basement until such time I sample them.

Would you mind expounding on this?  Trub bottles?  Do you mean so you can harvest the remaining yeast or........? 
Thanks

2 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

Would you mind expounding on this?  Trub bottles?  Do you mean so you can harvest the remaining yeast or........? 
Thanks

He means he pours the dregs of the keg into the last bottle, marks it, let's it settle, and gets a few more ounces of beer IF it doesn't blow when carbonating, and if he pours carefully.  

He means he pours the dregs of the keg into the last bottle, marks it, let's it settle, and gets a few more ounces of beer IF it doesn't blow when carbonating, and if he pours carefully.  

Ah, I see.  So he doesn't waste a perfectly good brown bottle on the last bit of beer!  I should of thought of that by now

Yes, it gives me a bit of a sample when I have lost my patience waiting. Never had one blow but I set them inside mason jars in the cabinet just in case I need some containment.

23 minutes ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

1,345,567 times for the no green or clear bottles

17,456,235 times for don't perv the beer

OMG, ive been in this forum for 5 years. I feel like a jedi. When someone posts a question, i just sit back and wait and then “boom” the exact response that i was anticipating comes.  You can see it coming.