Putting it all together...

Ankerdampf

2 gallon, all-grain (mash-in-sack)

• Weyermann Pilsner, 3.25 lb.
  • Weyermann Vienna, 0.25 lb.
  • Weyermann CaraMunich Type 2, 0.25 lb.
  • Chateau Biscuit malt, 0.12 lb.
  • Weyermann Carafa II, a smidgen
  • German Northern Brewer, 9.4% AA, 0.33 oz ea. 45 min., 15 min., 3 min.
  • Mangrove Jack's Californian Lager, M54

Prepare a balanced water profile using the Brewer's Friend online calculator.  For my high residual alkalinity well water I diluted 1:1 with DI and then added calcium sulfate and sodium chloride.

Mash @ 150 F for an hour, adjusting pH (if necessary) to 5.2 with a half tsp. lactic acid.

Mash out @ 168 F for 10 min.

Sprinkle-sparge with hot tap water.

Begin 60 min. full volume boil.

Add yeast nutrient with 10 min. left.

Chill wort to <65 F.

Transfer to LBK, make to volume, aerate, and pitch M54.

Ferment @ cool ale temp., 63-64 F or so.

OG 1.055

IBU 35

SRM 11

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I think my German version of Anchor Steam will benefit from a one month lagering period, but this is pretty tasty.  The aroma is pronounced and reminds me of freshly baked bread cooling on the windowsill of a Prussian cottage on a crisp October afternoon.B)

image.jpeg

Time for you to get a cool ship! You could do great things with one, and it would be awesome.

6 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Maybe Mr. Beer could start marketing a 2-gallon version!

image.jpeg

We have a small local brewery that has one. I'm going to have to stop by there, soon though I don't know if they'll let you see it or not. @Creeps McLane and @kedognwould like it I think since they do sours.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

We have a small local brewery that has one. I'm going to have to stop by there, soon though I don't know if they'll let you see it or not. @Creeps McLane and @kedognwould like it I think since they do sours.

I don’t do sours, yet.  Too small of a confined space we are brewing in to risk it right now. #Eventually. :) 

1 minute ago, kedogn said:

I don’t do sours, yet.  Too small of a confined space we are brewing in to risk it right now. #Eventually. :) 

Lol, yes I think I knew that but thought you might like the video from another brewers set up. Probably old hat to you but I'm a bit of a machinery junkie, having spent my working career in shipyard, newspaper production, and commercial printing. Now that I brew I love looking a how breweries are set up.

42 minutes ago, Cato said:

Lol, yes I think I knew that but thought you might like the video from another brewers set up. Probably old hat to you but I'm a bit of a machinery junkie, having spent my working career in shipyard, newspaper production, and commercial printing. Now that I brew I love looking a how breweries are set up.

Honestly, don’t know much about those set ups. I’ve seen them mentioned on a few videos I’ve watched. Always down to watch brewery related videos, so thanks for that.  Heck, the last few nights I have been up waaaaay past my bed time doing just that. :)  I posted this pic on FB last night and tagged Mitch. Cool to hear what he had to say in 2011 back when he was with Stone.  Watched a couple other interviews with him from 2011/2012 last night also.  

55424B3D-9E59-4A6D-B6F5-A585FC204813.thumb.jpeg.93a994480cdd8a467b52c67797dec59c.jpeg

Brewed today and did my first water additions. I have to get a finer reading scale as mine could only get me close on less than a gram measurements. 

BS had a target of 5.2 I think and I read 5.35 with the meter. Fairly close I guess but my scale was not sensitive enough. Baby steps, but I'll  get it dialed in. Meter works great,lol, operator work in progress.