Mr.Beer Community
Stevo0083

Getting back into this!

I have been out of the brewing game for several years. Last week on a whim I started a batch of hard cider. That got my gears going again. I have 3 LBK's and some 5 gal brew buckets. I found some American light / booster with an expiration date of 04/2015. Should I give it a go? I will make a trip to my home brew store next weekend to stock back up.

Overheard today in the grocery store: 1st lady "all these (breakfast) cereals nowadays are mostly sugar!"  2nd lady: "yeah, enough (sugar) to rot their (kids?) teeth."

This set me to thinking: if all these cereals nowadays are mostly grains and sugar - has anyone ever tried brewing with them? 

(you see what this hobby can do to a guy? - let him hear 'grains and sugars' and his mind goes immediately back to BEER).  LOL

On 12/1/2018 at 7:17 PM, Stevo0083 said:

I have been out of the brewing game for several years. Last week on a whim I started a batch of hard cider. That got my gears going again. I have 3 LBK's and some 5 gal brew buckets. I found some American light / booster with an expiration date of 04/2015. Should I give it a go? I will make a trip to my home brew store next weekend to stock back up.

Best listen to Rick.  He knows about these things - or do it on the sly....😎

22 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

Overheard today in the grocery store: 1st lady "all these (breakfast) cereals nowadays are mostly sugar!"  2nd lady: "yeah, enough (sugar) to rot their (kids?) teeth."

This set me to thinking: if all these cereals nowadays are mostly grains and sugar - has anyone ever tried brewing with them? 

(you see what this hobby can do to a guy? - let him hear 'grains and sugars' and his mind goes immediately back to BEER).  LOL

http://support.mrbeer.com/support/solutions/articles/5000623207-cerealiously-lucky-charms-milk-stout-recipe-instructions🍻

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

lol

Seriously?  Is there anything that can't be brewed into a beer?  I luv it!

All I lack is the lactose sugar.  And the Lucky Charms.  I....am....so....tempted to try this; if for no other reason than to see the look on my wife's face when I do it!!!

re expired malt being crap... yeah.. but if it didnt have any signs of bulging can or crap floating in it... i'd use fresh yeast and make it anyway. crap flavors can be masked. did i mention i was a cheap bstrd?

i just racked a hobo wine off the yeast bed today. yes i even complicate hobo wine ... lol.  wow. i think i may have hit about 15% abv (didnt take any grav but man... what a buzz) from my sample. tastes ok too so .. winning!  i had about a half gallon left that wouldnt fit in my glass carboy so i am trying freeze 'distillation' / concentration to see what happens.  i'm using the spent blueberries i tossed in to ferment with it in a topping for icecream. boil and reduce.. sweeten.. tada.

next in line for brewing is an applejack... if this freeze thing works, i'll try it with the applejack too.

freeze concentration ("distillation")  while really good at jacking up abv and smoothing stuff out...  is really wasteful. :(   you end up with about 1/4 the product volume.  . . at most.

good thing i went small anyway.  curious to see how the hobo wine concentrated comes out.  not overly worried about methanol concentrations but the fussels might be a little heavier than i care for. when i started the ferment, i pitched some redstar pasteur and some cuvee' yeast together just for kicks.  my only complaint so far is that neither wanted to settle out and compact. the last couple inches in the bucket were full of loose yeast slurry... which i ran through a paper towel filter and now have chilling in the fridge to encourage settling.