Mr.Beer Community
McSquirrely

Peanut Butter Stout

On 12/7/2018 at 3:58 AM, RickBeer said:

Sure.  Buy a bottle of LorAnn Peanut Butter flavor (1 dram size), add 1/2 of it to a Mr. Beer batch.  But the Irish Stout isn't a great base for a peanut butter stout, it's better on an oatmeal stout base.  Should be creamy mouth feel.  

Thanks Rick.  When you say "add ½ of it (a dram) to a Mr Beer batch, I'm assuming I do that after flame-out to the dissolved and well-mixed wort, prior to pouring into the LBK?  If that's all I have to do to get a good approximation of Peanut Butter Stout, then the wife is going to be a happy camper.  I would also imagine this needs a couple months conditioning after the carbonation phase, at least.

No.  You add it to your bottling bucket.  If you don't batch prime, then you want to add no more than 2 drops (with an eyedropper that they sell) to each bottle before bottling.  1 might be fine.

If you add it to the hot wort, you'll kill the flavor.  If you put in the fermenter for 3 weeks, you'll lose the flavor.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

No.  You add it to your bottling bucket.  If you don't batch prime, then you want to add no more than 2 drops (with an eyedropper that they sell) to each bottle before bottling.  1 might be fine.

If you add it to the hot wort, you'll kill the flavor.  If you put in the fermenter for 3 weeks, you'll lose the flavor.

Ah.  And thanks again.  I like the idea of adding it to each bottle at bottling time.  (Must be pretty powerful stuff if all one uses is a drop or two)

1 dram for 5 gallons.  

A dram = 1/8th of a fluid ounce = 0.75 teaspoons

There are 53.3 12 ounce bottles in a 5 gallon batch.

0.75/53.3 = 0.014 teaspoons.

So, yes, it's not much.

Let's try in milliliters.

A dram = 3.7 ml

3.7/53.3 = 0.69 ml per bottle

A drop from a standard eyedropper dispenses 0.5 ml per drop.

So it's more than 1 drop, and less than 2.

Note the LorAnn sells droppers that fit their dram bottles.  HOWEVER, do not store the dropper in the bottle for any length of time, because over time the vapors will degrade the rubber stopper.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:19 AM, RickBeer said:

There are 53.3 12 ounce bottles in a gallon.

I still want clarification on this line.  I must be doing something wrong because I don't get near that many bottles to the gallon.  😂😂😂