Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Palmiter1

Using yeast as nutrients

1 hour ago, Palmiter1 said:

I've heard that the yeast that comes with the kits( not needed) can be boiled and used for nutrients. But I'm curious if this will change the flavor. 

Chuck your old yeast in the boil, yeast die, nutrients live on. Nutrients are always a good idea. No change in flavor

I would say to the intermediate brewer: “if you’re experiencing any problems with your beers, it’s probably due to your yeast health”. A vigorous fermentation and yeast that will attenuate like it’s supposed to will almost always yield in an excellent beer. I add nutrients to all my brews and can honestly say ive noticed a much faster start to fermentation  

2 hours ago, Palmiter1 said:

I've heard that the yeast that comes with the kits( not needed) can be boiled and used for nutrients. But I'm curious if this will change the flavor. 

You likely won't notice any difference in the final product.  For a standard Mr. Beer batch, yeast nutrients will have zero impact.  

4 minutes ago, youdontknowme311 said:

Is there any length of time to boil the yeast for nutrient? Or are the yeasties pretty much dead as soon as they hit the boiling water?

Dump them in, then lean your head close to the pot (but not in the flame...).  You will hear little voices screaming in agony.  When they stop, they are dead.

5 mins in boiling should be more than enough to kill them i would think. i concur that they add no off flavors. i use them when making hobo wine or hard cider. while i can smell the boiled yeast at first on pitching, there's no harmful effect.

i too love their screams as they boil. first though before i pitch them into the boiling stuff i dangle them over the pot so i can build up their fear. yeast fear adds subtle nuances to the beer and wine just like how lobsters always taste better if you scare them first.  the dead yeast serve 2 purposes: food for the live yeast, and motivation to make good beer or wine lest they end up with the same fate.

Yowza, Yowza Yowza.

I have a bout a dozen dead packs from the last dmn hurricane that blew threw here.

I was thinking about doing nothing with them but you guys are getting crazy like my dog inhaling turkey fumes in front of the stove on TG day.

Oh Well I guess its better to recycle the remains than snork them, haha

Its not easy, M

I have a septic tank. They will do the best good and have possible life. Cheers