Mr.Beer Community
McSquirrely

VooDoo that I'm about to do

I'm about to start on a batch (#8) of MRB's 'Voodoo That You Do' with my remaining can of Bewitched Amber.  Since I've never tried this before, I'm wondering if any of you guys can tell me a bit about the beer itself.  Does it exhibit any hoppiness and if so, is it prominent (hop-forward?) or just hinted at in the background?  I have this rather larger bag of delicious smelling mystery hops that I used to make my Sweet 'Lil Holga experiment and it turned out freakin' delicious.  I was sorta thinking along the lines of another experiment - you know - to drive Rick over the ledge a little more....

Just kiddin, Rick  😎

@Squirley Mic, since you continue to reference your mystery hops it's only right that the members of this forum provide greater assistance. For proper examination please forward samples (at least 1 ounce in size and vacuum sealed) to several members of this forum. Upon completion of our examinations and taste testing we will get back to you.a.s.a.p.

i made voodoo early this year and didn't care for it. a few others on this forum can weigh in as well. I think it was the brown sugar that i didn't care for. of course i drank it and still have about 10 of them left, but with my ever expanding pipeline, i never grab for one. But try it and see what you think! beer is kind of like ice cream. there's no bad ice cream, some flavors you just like more than others.

53 minutes ago, Jdub said:

i made voodoo early this year and didn't care for it. a few others on this forum can weigh in as well. I think it was the brown sugar that i didn't care for. of course i drank it and still have about 10 of them left, but with my ever expanding pipeline, i never grab for one. But try it and see what you think! beer is kind of like ice cream. there's no bad ice cream, some flavors you just like more than others.

I'm with you; I think we're in the minority as most people seem to really like it.  It's pretty much the only recipe that uses BAA that I don't care for at all.

As to the OP's question, no it's not very hoppy.  And like Jdub, I think the addition of the brown sugar gives it an unpleasant taste.  

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

I'm with you; I think we're in the minority as most people seem to really like it.  It's pretty much the only recipe that uses BAA that I don't care for at all.

As to the OP's question, no it's not very hoppy.  And like Jdub, I think the addition of the brown sugar gives it an unpleasant taste.  

i have another can of that HME and i'm wondering what to do with it. Maybe sub honey for the brown sugar? add some dme? maybe the hidden lake recipe?

42 minutes ago, Jdub said:

i have another can of that HME and i'm wondering what to do with it. Maybe sub honey for the brown sugar? add some dme? maybe the hidden lake recipe?

FWIW. This is the best beer I've made with the Bew. AA.

4 oz carapils steeped

8 oz amber dme

1 oz Williamette hops ( no sack) boil 5 minutes with the dme

BAA HME

Mr B yeast

3 hours ago, Jdub said:

I wonder if it might be better if made with light brown sugar instead of dark?  OR...I still have plenty of agave nectar on-hand.  According to Beervana agave is 25% sweeter than honey (which I can attest to) and does a great job of elevating abv.  Just not sure what it might do to the taste.

5 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

I wonder if it might be better if made with light brown sugar instead of dark?  OR...I still have plenty of agave nectar on-hand.  According to Beervana agave is 25% sweeter than honey (which I can attest to) and does a great job of elevating abv.  Just not sure what it might do to the taste.

i used light brown sugar. haven't used agave. only one way to find out though!

1 minute ago, Jdub said:

i used light brown sugar. haven't used agave. only one way to find out though!

That's what I'm thinking.  I love to experiment.  I need to figure out how much if I sub it for the 1 cup of brown sugar

18 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

That's what I'm thinking.  I love to experiment.  I need to figure out how much if I sub it for the 1 cup of brown sugar

A quick Google search came up with 1 cup brown sugar = 2/3 cup agave nectar

I made the VooDoo recipe one time and like others didn't like the taste the brown sugar gave.  Brown sugar uses molasses as an ingredient and molasses can not be completely processed by beer yeast.  So the yeast take what they can and leave a black licorice flavor behind.

2 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

A quick Google search came up with 1 cup brown sugar = 2/3 cup agave nectar

I made the VooDoo recipe one time and like others didn't like the taste the brown sugar gave.  Brown sugar uses molasses as an ingredient and molasses can not be completely processed by beer yeast.  So the yeast take what they can and leave a black licorice flavor behind.

Thanks B, I'm going with this idea cause I think the agave which I used in my previous experiment tasted wonderful.  I just kegged the batch and I followed MRB's recipe for the Voodoo except I added the agave instead.  I have one more 'tweak' that I'm going to try later, on day 14 of the ferment: I'm going to dry hop another batch of my 'mystery hop' tea into the keg.  Gads, this is fun.  I've made 16+ gallons since I started brewing in mid-August and next week I will be making batch #9.  That is, I will be IF MRB's box of bottles get her in time. 😎