Mr.Beer Community
Don H

Newbie Question

Hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but I mixed a batch of American Light on Wednesday. Today on Saturday (3 days) I noticed that the keg has stopped foaming. The beer is still very cloudy and I realize that it still has nearly 3 weeks to go. The question is, is this normal? Should it have stopped foaming after only 3 days? Just wondering if something is wrong.

23 minutes ago, Don H said:

Hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but I mixed a batch of American Light on Wednesday. Today on Saturday (3 days) I noticed that the keg has stopped foaming. The beer is still very cloudy and I realize that it still has nearly 3 weeks to go. The question is, is this normal? Should it have stopped foaming after only 3 days? Just wondering if something is wrong.

Yes, this is normal, (assuming you aren't fermenting this in too cold an environment).  I, like you, am new to this hobby and others here with a ton of experience will probably tell you the same thing.  I've made 8 batches of beer so far and all behaved just like you are describing.  I've drank most of the 1st two batches and some of the 3rd and 4th and all were good beer, one was esp delicious.  Good luck!  Patience is the key...

Speaking of CAL recipe, I have two more cans coming in the mail.  The best batch of beer I've brewed so far was my 1st experiment made from the CAL when I added some DME, some Ekuanot hops and substituted US-05 yeast for the MRB yeast.  I, too, have a question of the more experienced brewers here: if I try to recreate this beer but lack the US-05, how will using a different yeast, say the MRB standard yeast, change the taste, if any?  I know this is kind of a hard question but.....

1 minute ago, Don H said:

Patience for education as well as brewing it seems.

Patience (hard for me) and sterilization, actually.  Imperative that you keep things sterile when brewing.  Staying out of the finished product long enough for it to condition with age is the hardest.  68F - 70F is about ideal

1 hour ago, Don H said:

What you witnessed was the beginning of your new obsession. HaHa. 

As you do your best to wait out the remaining 2 1/2 weeks, I suggest taking a few moments to read the posts in this forum. 

Inside your keg the yeast has come back to life, reproduced, began a feeding frenzy and is now cleaning up the table scraps. During fermentation your yeast produces carbon dioxide, alcohols and other compounds. Over time the yeast will consume many of those other compounds. Time is your friend.

36 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

Over time the yeast will consume many of those other compounds. Time is your friend.

So, those yeasties devour other compounds as well, eh?  Do they produce alcohol when to do so as when they eat sugar?  btw, ever brew with Nutella?

16 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

btw, ever brew with Nutella?

I wouldn’t recommend brewing with Nutella. There is quite a bit of fat in it much like chocolate. There are other ways to get that flavor though. I recently brewed a Nutella style porter. I used hazelnut extract, cocoa nibs and added some lactose to try to simulate the creamyness. It turned out pretty good, but I’ll probably adjust the amounts of each if I do it again. 

This will quite likely become a new obsession. Lol. Especially if this first batch turns out pretty good. I didn't have a whole lot of expectations, but then, what the heck? If I did everything right (I followed the instructions to the letter), there is a good chance this could be the best beer I've ever had! Why not? I'm a pretty patient guy so the 3 - 4 weeks won't be much of a problem. Especially if means the difference between success or failure. My problem is more likely going to be trying to do too much too quickly and wanting to do things I'm just not ready to do yet. Baby steps.

11 minutes ago, Don H said:

This will quite likely become a new obsession.

Very easily.  From my experience all it took was trying that first batch (looking back it was terrible, temp issue I think, but I made it).  Then I stepped up to 3 LBKs and got a pipeline started.  Within 5 months of my 1st batch I was on to All Grain doing 3 gallon batches, then it went to 5, to 10, to 15 and eventually to 35 gallon batches and well, now, in 2018 we sold 20 BBLs (620 gallons) of Manfish beer.  Yes, “obsession” is right. :) 

3 minutes ago, Don H said:

Wow kedogn! I don't know if I'd ever get that far! Well, maybe. Lol. That's awesome though!

It was never a thought for me when I started out either.  Then friends kept telling me I needed to be able to sell my beer because they loved it. I kept reminding them: a) You’re drinking for free and b) You’re drunk lol. :)  however, they were right and here we are. 

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 3:05 PM, Squirley Mic said:

So, those yeasties devour other compounds as well, eh?  Do they produce alcohol when to do so as when they eat sugar?  btw, ever brew with Nutella?

Although not biologically correct, think of your yeast as being bulimic. They eat and puke, especially if too warm. What they puke out is sometimes partia conversions which can still be converted. Doesn't take much to give off flavors and the alcohol addition is minimal.