Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CANbeernewbie

First Beer

I'm making my first beer ever. I'm currently making  the American Light. Its been fermenting for 19 days at 70 decrees. My question is if it still normal to have some foam on top after such a long time?

Can I start the cold clash? I had a taste and I think it tasted good.

49107923_571051189990142_5234958053081612288_n.jpg

Well, first, you've got the thermometer in the wrong space.  You're measuring the temperature of the plastic shelf, when you should be measuring the temperature of the beer...  The thermometer should be stuck on the LBK, below the fluid line.

19 days should be fine.  It should taste like beer, not sweet.

You'll want to prop it up in the frig with a CD/DVD case or two during the 3 day cold crash.  And when you go to bottle, you need to sanitize the spigot before you bottle, because that sample you got contaminated it.  Fill a shot glass with sanitizer and dunk the spigot in it.  

70 deg F is the ambient temperature; the wort fermented at a higher temperature. While not terrible, most of us have found (for most ales) fermenting mid to upper 60's produces "cleaner" taste. Being your first beer, reflect on the process, what could you do next time a bit better. And, a hardy welcome to the forum!

Proper temperature control (mainly during those critical first few days of fermentation) is probably the single biggest factor that improved the quality of my beers.  Here's a good thread on temperature control.  I used the cooler/ice bottle method for a while until I realized this hobby had me hooked.  Now I use the temperature-controlled mini fridge for fermenting.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby, @CANbeernewbie!