Mr.Beer Community
pborder

First batch

So my first batch in my return to Mr Beer has been in the LBK for 2 weeks.  I brewed the St Patrick's Irish Stout.  I just tasted it and it tastes very much like flat Guiness.  I read people saying to leave the brew in the LBK for 3 weeks so should I leave mine in another week or is it ready to bottle?

9 minutes ago, pborder said:

So my first batch in my return to Mr Beer has been in the LBK for 2 weeks.  I brewed the St Patrick's Irish Stout.  I just tasted it and it tastes very much like flat Guiness.  I read people saying to leave the brew in the LBK for 3 weeks so should I leave mine in another week or is it ready to bottle?

There is no magic time line. Only way to really tell is a gravity reading. 

However, if you tasted it and its not sweet, then id say its done.  I usually keg mine around 2 weeks. 3 weeks has always seemed really long to me but I guess its better to error on the side of caution. Nothing worse than bottle bombs

It did look a little muddy and it will probably be the beginning of next week before I will feel up to bottling ( I've been sick all week and I have to work this weekend).  I just wanted to be sure it would be ok to let it sit if it was done.

You're a new brewer.  Follow 3-4.  3 weeks fermenting, ideally 65 degree wort temp.  4 weeks in bottles carbonating and conditioning at 70 or higher.  Then put only what you're ready to drink in 3 days in the fridge for 3 days, leaving the rest at 70 or above.

Waiting until next week will also give me the time to make some cold brew.  Now that I have tasted it is is better than I expected so I think at least part of the bottles I'll add some coffee to it to make a coffee stout.  I thought a cold brew ( brought to room temp obviously before adding) would be better because I could sanitize the French press way easier that the coffee maker.

I got my first Mr Beer kit I think in 2013.  I made several recipes but then life changed and I didn't have any spare cash for supplies so I quit.  Honestly I forgot about it until I got an Amazon gift card this past Christmas and ran across the Mr Beer kit again so I got a new kit.  I do have some stuff left over from the old kit ( a LBK and I think some big bottles) so I may clean them up and use them.

I don't really remember what I made but I know that I made an Irish Stout ( it's one of my favorite beers) and I already know that what I am brewing now has more flavor than the older one.  I'm excited to get back into it and to see what I can make.

Mr Beer has always been a good starting point but since Coopers bought them out things improved exponentially. The HME's are better. The steeped grain recipes are an improvement. Customer service is improved. The participation on this forum is extremely informative and helpful. Being their busiest time of year I haven't seen any comments lately, but they're lurking in the background.