Mr.Beer Community
Fire Rooster

Caps Not Sealing

Did a squeeze test on Zombie clone 740ml PET bottles that are being conditioned.

Two were soft, cap was on as tight as could be, squeezed harder and beer came out.

My guess is that those caps fail after so many times ?

Now what ?

41 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Did a squeeze test on Zombie clone 740ml PET bottles that are being conditioned.

Two were soft, cap was on as tight as could be, squeezed harder and beer came out.

Now what ?

ive had that problem with PET bottles before, and now i almost always use 12 oz glass. never had a seal problem with them before. what to do now? maybe replace the lid with a different one and see how that works?

This has been posted before.  Reasons for this include:

1) Cap was never put on tight.  When cap is wet with sanitizer, as it should be, you need to dry it and then tighten a bit more.

2) Cap was used too many times - some find that 6 or 8 times is enough.  Some use them even more times.

3) Cap was put on improperly - If you put a cap on new, and the ring breaks off and stays on the bottle (as it should), and then you put another new cap on with ring attached, you won't seat it properly.  You'll need to break off the first ring from the bottle before using a new cap.

4) You need to go work out with Hans and Franz.  

Put on a new cap and perhaps it may carbonate.

3 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Is it ok to StarSan PET bottles & caps ahead of time,  then store them with  loose cap for future use. ?

Then after about 2 weeks use them to bottle without further sanitizing.

i wouldn't. I'm sure it's ok, but it literally takes 1 minute to make up a gallon of star san. i would do it at bottling time to make sure. maybe others will say it's ok. 

15 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Is it ok to StarSan PET bottles & caps ahead of time,  then store them with  loose cap for future use. ?

Then after about 2 weeks use them to bottle without further sanitizing.

No, it's not ok.

You should sanitize bottles and caps right before bottling.  

15 hours ago, Jdub said:

i wouldn't. I'm sure it's ok, but it literally takes 1 minute to make up a gallon of star san. i would do it at bottling time to make sure. maybe others will say it's ok. 

Is this Star San you mention better than the stuff that MRB sends us?  iyo, J?

No its different. This is my take on it.

Starsan is a heavy duty bug killer that will be effective in very short time. < 1 minute after contact.

Mr Beer product is oxygen based cleaner rather like Oxiclean but no rinse potable (I would rinse Oxyclean lol). It also takes up to 10 min to ensure cleaning. It will kill most bugs but not as effectively as Starsan. On the other hand it is user friendly, reasonably safe to handle and convenient and cleans/sanitizes well enough in most cases.

If you have brewing equipment other than LBK, that would be tough to immerse in Mr B product for 10 min. A spray of Starsan solution or rinse does the job effectively.

2 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

Is this Star San you mention better than the stuff that MRB sends us?  iyo, J?

what Nick said, you should go with. i keep a spray bottle on the counter with star san and i refill it every time i make up a new batch. anything around the beer gets a quick spray.

8 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

No its different.

If you have brewing equipment other than LBK, that would be tough to immerse in Mr B product for 10 min. A spray of Starsan solution or rinse does the job effectively.

The 2 LBK's that I use have never been immersed in any solution; including the sanitizer MRB sends me.  I do, however, follow their directions carefully and swish a gallon of it around inside each before brewing.  None-the-less, I think you and Jdub have some very good advice and I think it's time I get acquainted with this Star San product.  It sounds very useful for brewers.  It so happens I'm visiting a brew store in Eugene for supplies soon - maybe they'll have it in store?

8 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

The 2 LBK's that I use have never been immersed in any solution; including the sanitizer MRB sends me.  I do, however, follow their directions carefully and swish a gallon of it around inside each before brewing.  None-the-less, I think you and Jdub have some very good advice and I think it's time I get acquainted with this Star San product.  It sounds very useful for brewers.  It so happens I'm visiting a brew store in Eugene for supplies soon - maybe they'll have it in store?

Likely so. Most LHBS would carry it. I use it more on my stainless fermenters, and favor the MB sanitizer for my LBK's, but anytime I'm going to be using both I'll go with the Starsan. Works great on my kettles too!

On 1/14/2019 at 7:57 PM, Squirley Mic said:

What I do...

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2011/09/tip-using-star-san-in-spray-bottle.html

6 cc StarSan INTO 1 Gallon Distilled Water (128 OZ)

3 cc StarSan INTO 2 Quarts Distilled Water (64 0Z)

1.5 cc StarSan INTO 1 Quart Distilled Water (32 0Z)

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, Fire Rooster said:

Now what ?

1. put a sugar cube in, 2.  retighten cap over plastic wrap on bottle or find soda bottle caps to use instead, 3. order more caps from Mr B.

Happens to me sometimes. I have spare caps on hand now (I don't drink soda so no bottle caps handy), so I drop a cube (or 2) in and put a new cap on.

39 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

1. put a sugar cube in, 2.  retighten cap over plastic wrap on bottle or find soda bottle caps to use instead, 3. order more caps from Mr B.

Happens to me sometimes. I have spare caps on hand now (I don't drink soda so no bottle caps handy), so I drop a cube (or 2) in and put a new cap on.

I've noticed one minor flaw with the MRB Oxygen barrier bottles: they are thicker hence definitely harder sided than the standard bottles that come with the kits.  This makes feeling them for carbonization a bit more uncertain.  However, that said, I love the thicker bottles and love the capacity (2 full 12 oz glasses of beer with each bottle).  I'm sticking with them and buying more each time they come on sale.  Need to get some extra caps, tho -  ☺️

20 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

There should be no need to squeeze any bottle, since following proper procedures should result in no carbonation issues.  I use mostly glass bottles, and each one fails the squeeze test.

True enough, but in the winter I'll include a PET with each batch because at 67-68F my beers take a bit longer to fully carb. Squeeze test let's me know when I can sample the trub bottle.

1 hour ago, gophers6 said:

There's something drastically wrong with a guy that squeezes his glass bottles to check for carbonation.

I try to bring my thinking and actions down to a lower level, so that they can be understood by all mankind, whether Spartans or Golden Gophers...  

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

There should be no need to squeeze any bottle, since following proper procedures should result in no carbonation issues.  I use mostly glass bottles, and each one fails the squeeze test.

Damn.