Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DrMJG

Time to get the Weißbier ready

On 1/13/2019 at 4:32 PM, DrMJG said:

Today I made my personal variation of the Black Moon Weiss. In keeping with the traditional lower ABV I did not add booster, as I have done in the past.  Wort had a nice flavor and the batch should finish out crisp for the spring.

Liberace.jpeg

Lol, I could've done without the Liberace picture. His show would be on early Saturday mornings when I was a kid and thus be standing between me and my fav cartoons! Yeah, I begrudge him that and all those candelabras, kinda creeped me out back then.

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

My dad drank blatz forever until i switched him to keystone. Now im trying to find a craft lager he can keep in his fridge. But i got this tattoo about 10 yrs ago to pay homage to him. 

FED84B10-CF08-4A54-8F2E-9C6C0BC2AB03.jpeg

He just needs a kegerator and a keg of Creeps Pop's Lager.

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

Keeping both him and I stocked with beer would be a full time job with overtime. Where do you think i learned my habits?

Um, your Pops is probably my age or could be younger. Um, you probably have enough spare equipment to get him started?🙄

Blatz was the "family" beer kept in the fridge (usually in 1 quart bottles). My grandfather and father would readily polish one off in the evening after work.  Their TV ads were with cartoons and a song.  I still can sing the tune today and, according to family legend, my very first words were "Blatz Beer".  To go from Blatz to Keystone must have been a real taste buds left turn! Make a rather full bodied pilsner to meet the taste of Liberace days. While you may come across a Blatz labled beer today, body is not as full.

images-5.jpeg

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Keeping both him and I stocked with beer would be a full time job with overtime. Where do you think i learned my habits?

Don't worry, Mr Beer is up to it.....😁

Re Pilsener. I prefer the  Cooper's Pils I made with additions to the Mr B Pils. They do not seem to be the same  as the recipes are different

I found the Saaz hop additions I did made it more "European"  in taste which I like. Maybe the Mr B HME could also be enhanced for improved aroma and taste.

Coopers can makes 2.5% ABV in 6 gal so needs additions. They use Malt Extract and Brew Enhancer.

Mr B makes ~ 3.5% ABV in 2 gal. Similarly add Malt Extract and/or Booster to get in 4-5 % ABV range

Cooper's I split between 3 LBKs.

My preferred recipe (out of 3 variations I tried) is this per LBK:

1/3 Cooper's Pilsener HME

+ 8 oz pils malt + 6 oz booster

+ 8 oz pils malt + 2 oz  Cara 20 Partial Mash,

0.5 oz Saaz boil 15 min and remove ,  0.5 oz Saaz flameout aroma hop leave in.

0.5 Saaz Dry Hop 7 days

Ferment below 68 deg with 1/3 supplied yeast  + 1/3 37/40(a pack of each yeast split across 3 LBKs)

You have to figure what is best way to get this in your fermenters. I do it per LBK except for the HME.

I only used a medium pan so did not make TOTAL concentrated wort for 6 gal in one container - you can if you want to. I made the amount for each LBK separately with different ingredients to see what I liked best. I made the HME solution  in one container and split it 3 ways,  then did the PM and other stuff for each LBK separately.

If you have a big container you could maybe do it all in there at once then divide it.

I have got similar results by infusing Saaz for 30 min in boiled water for 30 min (hop tea) as adding the hop at flameout. So this might be easier.

Ferment below 60 deg.F (I use cooler and freezer packs)