Mr.Beer Community

Works like a charm for grain steeping and 60 min hop schedule boil.

"Keep warm" button allows it to stay around 155 for steeping.

"Saute" button set at the "more" level, allows a slow continuous boil.

Found 3 slight variations of Zombie Dust clone, trying all three.

IMG_20190116_070956096.jpg

2 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Works like a charm for grain steeping and 60 min hop schedule boil.

"Keep warm" button allows it to stay around 155 for steeping.

"Saute" button set at the "more" level, allows a slow continuous boil.

Found 3 slight variations of Zombie Dust clone, trying all three.

InstaPot6qt

You and @Cato are making dust clones. If you think their beer is good, you should try their food. Some of the best ive ever had

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

You and @Cato are making dust clones. If you think their beer is good, you should try their food. Some of the best ive ever had

Lol, I sure hope their beer is good. Can't get it around here, but the recipe I'm using for my clone looks to make a nice pale ale, so I didnt alter it except for a little reduction in IBU's from 67 down to 49. My fermenter is bubbling some nice smells already from the blow off jar.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Lol, I sure hope their beer is good. Can't get it around here, but the recipe I'm using for my clone looks to make a nice pale ale, so I didnt alter it except for a little reduction in IBU's from 67 down to 49. My fermenter is bubbling some nice smells already from the blow off jar.

it will blow your mind. the key is the citra dry hopping. i'm about to brew my 3rd PM batch of it.

3 hours ago, Jdub said:

it will blow your mind. the key is the citra dry hopping. i'm about to brew my 3rd PM batch of it.

Hope so, with 10.5 lbs of grain and 5oz of Citra!

Lol, all those hop additions nearly has wiped out my supply of throwaway hop sacks.

Seriously though I'm looking forward to it, and immediately liked the recipe.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Hope so, with 10.5 lbs of grain and 5oz of Citra!

Lol, all those hop additions nearly has wiped out my supply of throwaway hop sacks.

Seriously though I'm looking forward to it, and immediately liked the recipe.

lol....in the past i went commando with the boil additions and then hop sacks for the dry hop. i now have a hop spider that i think is great. brewed a batch this weekend (pliny clone) and when i dumped out the spider into my sink while cooling my wort, i swear there was a couple of lbs of hop gunk in there that didn't go into my fermenter.

10 lbs of grain? wow. ya i've just done the 2 gallon PM recipe 2x with dme, grains and hops. bout to brew it again. for this recipe i favor the small batch b/c it's just me drinking it and the hops fade over time, but delicious! brew on. 

hey what size mini fridge did you get to fit your 3.5 gal ss brew bucket in? 4.4 no freezer? i'm in the market.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:10 PM, Fire Rooster said:

here's one that @Fire Rooster posted recently

edit: just buy your ingredients from MR Beer or your local HBS, not from the evil empire. LOL

9 hours ago, Jdub said:

lol....in the past i went commando with the boil additions and then hop sacks for the dry hop. i now have a hop spider that i think is great. brewed a batch this weekend (pliny clone) and when i dumped out the spider into my sink while cooling my wort, i swear there was a couple of lbs of hop gunk in there that didn't go into my fermenter.

10 lbs of grain? wow. ya i've just done the 2 gallon PM recipe 2x with dme, grains and hops. bout to brew it again. for this recipe i favor the small batch b/c it's just me drinking it and the hops fade over time, but delicious! brew on. 

hey what size mini fridge did you get to fit your 3.5 gal ss brew bucket in? 4.4 no freezer? i'm in the market.

Yes, I got a Magic Chef 4.4 no freezer. It'll hold the 3.5 gal brew bucket and an LBK at same time, which is a good combo. It will also hold my 7 gal fermenter by itself. 

I use the bigger one for 3.5 to 4.5 gal batches since it just me drinking it, though I'll share a few here and there with my neighbors.

4 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

https://davidrpatterson.me/2013/09/08/when-life-hands-you-citra-hops-make-zombie-dust/

5 gallon recipe, which can be scaled down to 2 gallon.

Pretty much the same recipe I used except I went AG and scaled it down for 4.25 gal in BS so it could all fit in the kettle.

Also scaled the IBU's from 60 down to 49. Should yield me about 4 gal bottled and ABV of 6%. I ended up going with S-04 and fermenting at 65F.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:11 AM, Cato said:

Pretty much the same recipe I used except I went AG and scaled it down for 4.25 gal in BS so it could all fit in the kettle.

Also scaled the IBU's from 60 down to 49. Should yield me about 4 gal bottled and ABV of 6%. I ended up going with S-04 and fermenting at 65F.

Currently fermenting Zombie clone @ ambient temp range 55-59, using S-04 also.  Thought it might be too low, but within 2 days

had foam on the inside of LBK push to the top. 

I'd recommend you review the packet of yeast as well as the info on the manufacturer's website.  Just because you see foam, doesn't mean you're making the yeast work too hard.  Ideal is 59-68.  So 55 is not ideal.  

26 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I'd recommend you review the packet of yeast as well as the info on the manufacturer's website.  Just because you see foam, doesn't mean you're making the yeast work too hard.  Ideal is 59-68.  So 55 is not ideal.  

That was my thought until I found others online stating they brew mid to upper 50's with S-04 & US-05 all the time.

Doing a test and letting it sit 55-59 for full 3 weeks.

My thought is bottle carb/conditioning at 72 for 4 weeks would finish anything missed.

3 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Currently fermenting Zombie clone @ ambient temp range 55-59, using S-04 also.  Thought it might be too low, but within 2 days

had foam on the inside of LBK push to the top. 

With S-04 I start out at 64 and I listen each day to the blow off jar bubbling frequency and as soon as it passes it's peak, then I'll go up to 65 for the next week and then to 66. My goal is to try and keep them somewhat active to clean things up.

I had read that S-04 can get off to a quick start and finish early, so whether my little method actually is valid with this yeast, I can't say. We'll see if my final gravity supports it. It did last time I used this yeast but that could've been a one off.

20 minutes ago, Cato said:

I had read that S-04 can get off to a quick start and finish early, so whether my little method actually is valid with this yeast, I can't say. We'll see if my final gravity supports it. It did last time I used this yeast but that could've been a one off.

This is exactly the goal. Typically pitch a little under your fermentation temp by a degree or two, then maintain a constant wort temp and then around 75% fermentation you want to raise the temp to keep your yeast working until they’ve eaten all the sugars and undesirable byproducts. 

And really, whatever the yeast company recommended is only a starting point. Lower the temp and youll supress esters. Raise the temp and youll get more esters. 65 for ale yeasts is a general temp. You control the yeast flavor of your beer by controlling the temp it was fermented at.

2 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

That was my thought until I found others online stating they brew mid to upper 50's with S-04 & US-05 all the time.

Doing a test and letting it sit 55-59 for full 3 weeks.

My thought is bottle carb/conditioning at 72 for 4 weeks would finish anything missed.

Finishing in the bottle is fine for cleaning up.  If fermentation isn't done, you get exploding bottles.

I use S-04 and S-05 all the time, and would never go that low.  Lowest I do is 62, but most of the time I'm at 65.