Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community

Recommended Posts

I'm a newbie, so forgive me for my dumb question. But in the attached photo, what's the difference between carbonation and bottle conditioning? What are the exact steps I need to take after fermentation? Do I just bottle with priming sugar and wait 5 weeks total? Or is there a step before actually bottling that is needed? Thanks!

20190116_094705.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never seen that chart before.

 

However, the answer is the same.  Carbonating and conditioning takes place in the bottle.   Both happen at the same time, but carbonation finishes before conditioning.  You want to go 4 weeks for most brews, some take longer.  Best to put ONE bottle in the fridge at 4 weeks, wait 3 days for the CO2 to absorb back into the beer, and then try it.  If you like it, refrigerate just the amount that you will drink 3 days later, leaving the rest to further condition.


Ideally, you ferment with wort temps at 65 (nearly all Mr. Beer refills), and then bottles are stored at 70 or a bit higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Never seen that chart before.

 

However, the answer is the same.  Carbonating and conditioning takes place in the bottle.   Both happen at the same time, but carbonation finishes before conditioning.  You want to go 4 weeks for most brews, some take longer.  Best to put ONE bottle in the fridge at 4 weeks, wait 3 days for the CO2 to absorb back into the beer, and then try it.  If you like it, refrigerate just the amount that you will drink 3 days later, leaving the rest to further condition.


Ideally, you ferment with wort temps at 65 (nearly all Mr. Beer refills), and then bottles are stored at 70 or a bit higher.

Awesome! Thank you for your helpful response. For reference, I found this chart on a lot of the Mr beer recipes on their website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Khamp said:

Awesome! Thank you for your helpful response. For reference, I found this chart on a lot of the Mr beer recipes on their website. 

 

Welcome to the forum @Khamp! Agreed that chart can be a little misleading on your first brew.

Oh, and welcome to RickBeer's dry sense of humor. I'd almost wager that he knows those charts by heart, well if he was graced with one!

 

However, he is quite helpful and has some very good reading in those links below his name.

 

Good luck on your brews and definitely pay attention to your temp control. Putting the LBK in a constant 64-65 spot or in a cooler with a pint of frozen water changed out at 12hour periods will be a key factor in getting successful brews. Ask away if you have questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of it this way: after bottling, the yeast are busy eating the priming sugar and producing CO2 to carbonate your beer.  At 70*, this takes about three weeks.  When that's over the conditioning period listed on the chart starts.  Flavors meld and improve and the yeast, having no more sugars to eat, start eating other compounds and "cleaning up" your beer. In some beers this period can be quite short, such as IPAs and weizens.  Others, especially high ABV brews, need more time.

 

Now in reality, as Rick said conditioning is occurring simultaneously with carbonation.  But to put this simply, MRB's chart has three weeks fermenting + three weeks carbonating + two weeks bottle conditioning =  eight weeks, or two months as in the chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, Jdub said:

it's at the bottom of almost every MRB recipe online description. I would suggest that you do some reading.

OMG! I did a spit take when I read that. 

I just hope you have somebody opening your mail and starting your car for the next couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, D Kristof said:

OMG! I did a spit take when I read that. 

I just hope you have somebody opening your mail and starting your car for the next couple of years.

hey, i was totally joking and @RickBeer never even flinched. i was looking both ways when i left my office the last few days....LOL. the door was wide open and i couldn't help but walk through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jdub said:

hey, i was totally joking and @RickBeer never even flinched. i was looking both ways when i left my office the last few days....LOL. the door was wide open and i couldn't help but walk through it.

Summons to Ann Arbor, likely in the mail.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×