Mr.Beer Community
Colin

Alcohol content

13 minutes ago, Colin said:

Is it possible to raise the alcohol level even after using a booster packet? 

Anything that contains fermentable sugars will raise it.  Table sugar, malt extract, honey, Lucky Charms cereal, agave nectar, maple syrup...etc., etc.  Each of those will have different impacts on the final taste of the beer, though.  I recommend doing a web search, as there are too many variables to list.

Additionally, you can just add booze to the LBK or to each individual bottle at bottling.

What is your goal? Not to sound mean, but if you want high alcohol drink scotch or vodka. Craft brewing is more about creating beers that have great flavor (subjective, of course). Often these beers are of a particular style (such as Oktoberfest, for example). Some have more alcohol, some less. You can boost alcohol, as mentioned by adding fermentable sugars. But, it reaches a point for the home brewer where the yeast are done (I would say 8% or so). Wines top out at 16-18%  and they can be very dry. Your choice of yeast is important too; some attenuate the sugars more than others, besides adding to the flavor profile. Anyway, welcome to the forum. 

5 hours ago, Colin said:

Is it possible to raise the alcohol level even after using a booster packet? 

Sure, you can add another booster packet or some LME, liquid malts extract. MB sells those in Pale, Smooth, and Golden. You can read the descriptions on the online store.

Two booster packs will raise the ABV about 1%, without changing the taste of the beer. I think one pack of MB LME is about .55 lbs and also adds about 1% ABV but can change the flavor of the beer.

Look thru the recipes and you'll see a lot of them will show either using a bag or two of booster, or a pack of LME, to provide a little kick from what the standard can or craft refill would have. Those standard small cans of HME, are pretty weak in ABV by themselves and need some booster or LME to kick them into gear IMO.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Look thru the recipes and you'll see a lot of them will show either using a bag or two of booster, or a pack of LME, to provide a little kick from what the standard can or craft refill would have. Those standard small cans of HME, are pretty weak in ABV by themselves and need some booster or LME to kick them into gear IMO.

Exactly what I've found out, by experimentation. Never-the-less, I have a gob of booster packs piling up on me.  Think I'll use one or two this weekend when I brew.  And DME. 

Thank you everyone. I’m new to this so please excuse me if my questions seem dumb. I ordered the Oktoberfest and the Pilsner, and they both came with 2 bags of booster. I’m not sure if I should be adding both or just one. I do like a stronger beer, so I was wondering now if 2 bags would ruin the taste of the beer, or increase the alcohol level. 

31 minutes ago, Colin said:

Thank you everyone. I’m new to this so please excuse me if my questions seem dumb. I ordered the Oktoberfest and the Pilsner, and they both came with 2 bags of booster. I’m not sure if I should be adding both or just one. I do like a stronger beer, so I was wondering now if 2 bags would ruin the taste of the beer, or increase the alcohol level. 

If you add the two bags of booster to say the Oktoberfest it would not ruin the taste and raise the alcohol level close to 5% according to MB description.

If you compare the bags, you'll find that the old refill had one big bag, and the new refill has two small bags, i.e. the exact same amount.

You really don't want to add more than that to a batch, or a pound of LME/DME.

9 hours ago, Colin said:

Welcome to your new hobby/obsession and to this forum. No need to beg forgiveness, ALL OF US were once new brewers. Some of us did a great deal of reading before we began while others stumbled along because that's what we do. LOL. To avoid the wrath of "Brewer of the month" recipient @RickBeer,  search the forums first. If you don't find the answer to your questions, first I'd be surprised, but secondly, you'll get plenty of helpful advice. 

When you check the size of your bags of booster, if they're all the same, check your order and what should have been included. If you've been shorted, contact MrBeer and they'll do right by you. 

As stated above by others, adding any fermentable sugars will boost the a/c of your beer. Each has its own pluses and minuses which should be considered. Also, the MrBeer recipes etc. are examples of beer styles, if you jump in and begin adding fermentables you'll be altering the flavor. To begin with, add the MrBeer booster. Next try the same beer adding an LME packet. Lastly, steeping grains or doing a minimash with grains. Each of those steps will provide you more than a basic understanding of how you can change, improve or otherwise alter your beer. 

10 hours ago, Colin said:

Not dumb questions at all. Heck, most of us like helping newcomers. We've all been there.