Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodTRBros

Hello!

Hows it going everyone,

Found my way to this forum yesterday and figured I should join. I got the LBK brew kit as a wedding gift last summer, and have been having a pretty good time with it so far. To date I have done the Mr. Churchill's nut brown ale, Oktoberfest, Whispering wheat Hefeweizen, and am now working on the Tangerously Hoppy IPA. I'm enjoying getting into brewing, and the guys at work have had fun being my test subjects since I started. Outside of switching away from the plastic bottles to glass, I haven't really amassed any extra equipment yet. If there's anything neat you guys use to brew and would recommend that would be cool to see.

7 hours ago, HollywoodTRBros said:

If there's anything neat you guys use to brew and would recommend that would be cool to see.

welcome. i think the single best piece of equipment i bought when starting was a coleman cooler and a thermometer with a probe. my 1st few batches fermented too warm and was ugly. that allowed me to use frozen water bottles to regulate the temp and held it well. that's scratching the surface, but that made a big difference. brew on brother!

On 1/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, Jdub said:

welcome. i think the single best piece of equipment i bought when starting was a coleman cooler and a thermometer with a probe. my 1st few batches fermented too warm and was ugly. that allowed me to use frozen water bottles to regulate the temp and held it well. that's scratching the surface, but that made a big difference. brew on brother!

Go figure my last fermentation round was in a cooler as well! I was looking at a post about the IPA I was working on, and saw most of those guys using mini fridges. I got some inspriration from that and used a small cooler pack to kind of adjust temp for mine. I definitely need a better way to read/regulate temp, as this round was pretty full of guess work. Havent decided on what to try next, there's so many options! 

I am lucky to have a basement room that sits at low 60's but if I want to ferment cooler I also use a Coleman cooler chest and ice packs with a digital reptile thermometer fished through the drain hole and taped to the LBK. I find that not a lot of bother - and have to refresh the packs only a couple times a day to keep it in the 50's.

A thermostatically controlled space would be better controlled but I am lazy and cheap. 😄