Mr.Beer Community

These were the calculations done with the measured brix readings at kegging and after crash, just prior to bottling my 'Squirrely Dog' experiment.  But no, I did not factor temperature in the readings.  Initial readings done just before pitch and final reading done just prior to bottling, period.

Squirrely Dog.png

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, RickBeer said:

See temperature affects your readings, unless your refractometer has an automatic temperature adjustment feature, your calculations are off, especially if you're doing the FG reading after cold crashing.  

This model is supposed to compensate.  But I'm taking both readings probably within a 5-10 degree window: 1) upon kegging, before the pitch and 2) just before crashing, around 68-70F.  Each sample comes out of the spigot.  Of course, everything's approximate.

You said "after crash" above.  That's 37 degrees, and that will throw off your reading.  Unless you're warming it up after crashing, which you should NOT be doing.  Make sure you sanitize that spigot before bottling...

40 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

You said "after crash" above.  That's 37 degrees, and that will throw off your reading.  Unless you're warming it up after crashing, which you should NOT be doing.  Make sure you sanitize that spigot before bottling...

Then I spoke incorrectly.  My 'regimen' is to check Brix & Initial gravity after topping the wort in the keg, just before the pitch, then again at Day 14 or 15, and again at Day 18+.  If there's no change in Brix from Day 15 to 18, then I crash.  I do not check the Brix after I put the keg into the fridge, cause I figure I have stopped fermentation (if it hasn't already pretty much stopped on its own).  But I guess I could if I need to, by sampling out some into a shot glass and letting it warm to room temperature first?    I do use a cue tip (dipped in the sanitizer) to swab the inside of the spigot before I bottle - something I saw on a YouTube video which made a lot of sense and is easy to do.