Mr.Beer Community
Fire Rooster

Paint Strainer Bag

i'm with rick. i use a dual layer , large kitchen mesh strainer resting atop my fermenter bucket. i transfer the cool wort using the strainer and it does a good job of getting most of the sludge. a quick knock out into the trash and rinse... voila. clean.   paint strainer 5 gallon and 1 gallon bags are great for dry hopping, biab, etc.   wash / sanitize first. cheap...effective.

15 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Mesh strainer ? I have a kitchen SS fine mesh strainer, do you mean that kind ?

Thanks

Yes, that mesh strainer is the mesh strainer I was referring to, vs. the other type of mesh strainer... 😁

Remember to sanitize it first.

I use a Paint strainer bag in a Home Depot 5 gallon water as my mash screen.  Just lift the bag, drain the wort, put the bag back in and sparge.  Wort is from mash tun to kettle in less than 15 minutes (15 rather than 5 because I let the sparge sit for 10 minutes).

Like @Jdub I use a hop spider during the boil.  I just transfer all but the last qt or so of wort to my fermenter.

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Yes, that mesh strainer is the mesh strainer I was referring to, vs. the other type of mesh strainer... 😁

Remember to sanitize it first.

Thought so, had to double check, strange things going on sometimes.

14 hours ago, Jdub said:

i use a hop spider during the boil. this retains a ton of the hop sludge. other batches, i don't worry about it. just pour it all into the fermenter and it goes to the bottom during the cold crash i think.

kettle.jpg

How difficult is it to drain the wort trapped in the hop spider by hop pellet sludge? How do you clean yours? I sometimes brew with a club member who has rigged up a hanger to suspend his hop spider above the kettle so it drains while he chills the wort in the kettle below.

1 hour ago, D Kristof said:

How difficult is it to drain the wort trapped in the hop spider by hop pellet sludge? How do you clean yours? I sometimes brew with a club member who has rigged up a hanger to suspend his hop spider above the kettle so it drains while he chills the wort in the kettle below.

good question D. while i'm cooling the wort, i just lift it out and hold it over the kettle. the mesh is pretty fine, so i just kind of roll it around horizontally until most of the liquid drains out. after that, i just turn it upside down in the sink and rinse it out. super easy to clean. used it 4 or 5 batches and it's worked great.

36 minutes ago, Jdub said:

good question D. while i'm cooling the wort, i just lift it out and hold it over the kettle. the mesh is pretty fine, so i just kind of roll it around horizontally until most of the liquid drains out. after that, i just turn it upside down in the sink and rinse it out. super easy to clean. used it 4 or 5 batches and it's worked great.

I do the same thing, basically just move around the hop sludge until most of the wort drains.  Only takes about a minute. 

I clean mine when I clean my pot and equipment.  I use Oxyclean Free to clean everything and a 5 minute soak in that with a rinse is all it needs.  If it has some stubborn junk in it a bottle brush or other brush will clean that out in no time.

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Micron-Stainless-Strainer-Brewing/dp/B079N61YY4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1549045782&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hop+spider+stainless+steel&psc=1

This is the hop spider that I have been using for over a year now.