Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fire Rooster

Electric, Induction, Infra-Red ?

41 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

To figure out what you want to use for power, id look at your kettle. Is it induction capable? Are you willing to install an element? What kind if power do you have nearby? 120 or 220? These are the things that should decide what you use

My basement has both 120 & 220. Previous owner of home was tool & die maker. Tons of 120 & 220 outlets in garage & basement. Not sure if my cheap SS Walmart pot is induction capable. And exactly what does induction capable mean anyway ?

59 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

My basement has both 120 & 220. Previous owner of home was tool & die maker. Tons of 120 & 220 outlets in garage & basement. Not sure if my cheap SS Walmart pot is induction capable. And exactly what does induction capable mean anyway ?

Check and see if it’s magnetic on the bottom 

If youre kettle can be used with induction then that’s a nice way to go. No new kettle needed.

i really like my electric element and controller set up. Sure beats brewing out in the garage in the winter. 

I use a plate chiller for chilling. A source of water is a must. Thats why im right next to the laundry. I just teed the lines and installed a sink i found on Craigslist 

4 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Clips for grain bag, good idea.

What wattage is your induction burner ?

How do you chill your wort ?

Thanks

Mine is a 3500w and is plugged into 240v 20 amp circuit. My brew kettles are induction capable. It takes about 20 min to hit strike temp on 4 gal with cold water and then about 15-16 min from there to very vigorous boil. I usually have to turn it down a little once it hits boil. It's great for up to 5 gal batches but beyond that I'd  probably look at a 5500 w element in a kettle.

I looked hard at that route before buying the induction burner, but for under $200, it was a much less expensive way to brew.

I use an immersion chiller for my wort when the weather permits. If it's too cold to use the outside faucets then I pump the wort straight into the fermenter in the mini fridge and chill it down to pitch temp. If it's a 2.5 gal batch I can pitch before bedtime, but if it's a 4 gal batch or more I'll pitch the next morning.

Thanks. @Cato@Creeps McLane

Walmart SS pot isn't magnetic, magnet would not stick to it.

It was discovered while researching online that there is magnetic, and non-magnetic SS.

Basement has a 240V 20A outlet, and also a sink. 

However, wouldn't pump that much water into septic system.

Maybe ice water in sink, and pump & recirculate through that ?

1.jpg

1 hour ago, Fire Rooster said:

Thanks. @Cato@Creeps McLane

Walmart SS pot isn't magnetic, magnet would not stick to it.

It was discovered while researching online that there is magnetic, and non-magnetic SS.

Basement has a 240V 20A outlet, and also a sink. 

However, wouldn't pump that much water into septic system.

Maybe ice water in sink, and pump & recirculate through that ?

1.jpg

That would work! Remember your boil will produce a bit of steam/moisture down there so you'll want to think about venting or moving the air around.

I'm in my 400sq ft garage with 10ft ceiling. I can crack my garage door open and I have a ceiling mounted 3 speed air cleaner for my wood working that moves the air around for me.

@Cato

Thanks, already thought of that. There's a basement window close by, and with a fan it should work.

For now sticking with and learning All Grain.  Using a 16 qt (4 Gallon) pot, which is the largest feasibly possible in kitchen.

Researching possible setups for larger batches, which will require other equipment/processes.

Only using Malt, Hops, Water & Yeast for beer.  Goal is to brew what I call "Nectar of the Gods",

and if/when that happens, larger batches will follow.