Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
irlb

Root Beer Smell

I made some root beer for the kids and bottled it in my PET bottles. Now the the bottles smell of root beer. I've cleaned them with fragrance free dish wash and Oxygen Brewery Wash. I left the solution in for three days, then emptied and let them air dry for a while. They still smell like root beer. Is there a way to get rid of the smell? Will it hurt my beer? I have another set of bottles, but they are in use right now.

I'm going to disagree with the consensus on this for the simple reason that I've been successful in getting rid of the root beer smell from bottles. I never tried it with an LBK.

I used to buy root beer in PET bottles and use them for beer back when I was bottling in PET. I preferred them to other soda bottles because they're amber.

If you've already rinsed them in warm or hot water, you're probably out of luck. If not, rinse them in COLD water several times, then fill with cold water and a small amount of unscented Oxiclean and cap. Leave them for several days (watch for bulging and vent if necessary). Rinse in cold water again. Let them air dry for a few days. Repeat if necessary. You may need to do it a few times, but the smell will go away.