Mr.Beer Community
Tbird

Octoberfest

Just sampled my first attempt.The color,head and carbonation was spot-on. The flavor was lacking though. Any suggestions for a little bite. Also the alcohol content seemed very low. 

Basic Oktoberfest will be more malty than hoppy - but if using basic with booster not LME, you get less malty.

Look at some of the recipe suggestions on Mr B page for those that use that HME and have more malt/hops in if you have more of the Oktoberfest to use up , otherwise make something else - there is a lot to choose from. The Bindlestick wheat I am drinking now is quite craft-beer like in nature. 

For more ABV bite, add malt/booster pack depending what your taste is.

4 hours ago, Tbird said:

Just sampled my first attempt.The color,head and carbonation was spot-on. The flavor was lacking though. Any suggestions for a little bite. Also the alcohol content seemed very low. 

1st of all congrats on your 1st brew! going forward, there are a lot of things you can do to add ABV. make a partial mash recipe, will give you more flavor, body and abv. super easy using grains. if you can steep a tea bag, you can do a PM recipe. Adding booster is a good idea too. i do that on most mrb recipes. you can add DME or LME. some brewers are fond of adding 1/2 cup or whole cup of honey as well. you just have to experiment and do a lot of reading. call MRB customer service, and they will give you advice, or your local HBS. my free advice.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm just missing the hoppy flavor that I've become accustomed to. Also the ABV in the 5-6 range. Recipe page seems to clear that up. Cheers!