Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jdub

Turkey Fryer Kettle for brewing?

Anyone ever used an aluminum turkey fryer pot as a brew kettle? I have one, it's pretty large, 29 quarts. i've only used it once a few years ago and have the whole kit, burner and all. what if i cleaned with that TSP stuff and tried to brew with it?

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

Anyone ever used an aluminum turkey fryer pot as a brew kettle? I have one, it's pretty large, 29 quarts. i've only used it once a few years ago and have the whole kit, burner and all. what if i cleaned with that TSP stuff and tried to brew with it?

Yes!

tout3.jpg

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

That was my stout! keg half gone. Came out real good.

8 hours ago, Jdub said:

That was what I used for my brew kettle for over a year.  No issues with any of the beers.

I've read that you should boil some water in it before using the first time to create a coating,  but I just did a quick search and couldn't find a reference for that.

One thing that you should be aware of is that you shouldn't use oxygen based cleaners or sanitizers (Oxiclean, One Step, etc) on aluminum pots.