Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nickfixit

How Old is Too Old??

No I am not referring to myself, although knocking off a few years would not hurt 😁 however, this is probably one factor in the ruminations below. I think though that seeing the way I figured this rather than me just announcing the result might let you see if I was being illogical or trigger better ideas - I am always willing to learn.

Looking through my basement (typically temp at mid 60's and these stored on the cement floor) for pre - 2018 brewing supplies to use up, I find I have a

2x Baltic Porter Seasonal (best by date Oct 2017) I know this is still good as I made one a couple months ago.

1x Cooper's Dark Ale 6 gal (best by date Mar 2017) Last one of these I made was 2017 - but I think it will still be OK 

Unopened Special Dark LME  (mfr. date 12/21/2016) Weighs 3lb 8 oz  for approx. 3lb 5 oz LME.

Partly used Porter LME (mfr. date 5/28/2015) Weighs 2 lb 10 oz 

Partly used Vienna LME (mfr. date 2/20/2015) 

I never liked what the Vienna LME did to my brews so I think I will junk that.

I am inclined to use the old LMEs or some of them with the Dark Ale since the Dark Ale HME itself only makes ~ 2% ABV, and needs other fermentables to make a good beer. I think the porter can make decent wort straight up, but I have only seen the special dark used up to about 50% of malt bill. I have used special dark in amounts up to 8 oz per 2 gal to enhance HMEs before but have not used more than that.

So this is how it figures:

LME container weighs ~ 3 oz.  so I have ~ 2 lb. 7 oz. Porter LME, & split 3 ways = 13 oz. LBK --> adds approx. 1.4% ABV.

That leaves me another 1.1 ABV to find.

I can add 1 booster per LBK

or I can add  10 oz  of Sp Dark  per LBK

or I can add other fermentables.

or I can add ALL the Sp Dark - adding 1.9% per LBK making it go to ~  2 + 1.4 + 1.9 = 5.3 %

So what are the votes here? toss it all in?  

Assuming "yes"...……...

I will need more than the Cooper's yeast for this - especially since it has a date code 06115 (week 61 year 15)

For info on Cooper's yeast markings https://community.diybeer.com/topic/8573-diy-beer-brew-cans-yeast-and-aroma-hop-details/

Seems like that yeast is a candidate for adding as nutrient - or I add more.

Recipe builder suggests that this beer needs 56B cells per 2 gal so 1/2 a pack (110B cells/pack) of S-04 would just do,  but that 5g of Cooper's ale yeast is not sufficient.

So I could use this as a yeast experiment, since all except the #3 yeast are already sunk costs, it is cheap entertainment and I might actually get something I can drink out of it:

I can use

#1   -  2x Mr Beer yeast (on hand - or 1x Mr B and the Coopers yeast from the Dark Ale)

#2   -  1x S-04 yeast (on hand)

#3   -  Some other interesting yeast from this list  https://www.beercraftr.com/beer-yeast-list/stout-and-porter-yeast-list/

Comments and ideas welcome.

Will it be TOO dark?

What interesting yeasts in that list (#3)  have you tried with dark beers?

I would pitch 2 MrBeer yeast packets. They may be old but they've been sealed and stored in a cool location. I successfully used 1 MrBeer packet that had been stored in an attic for 5 years. The MrBeer yeast, if I remember correctly) is the Coopers yeast.

As for too dark? Never heard of it. I would worry about using any old stock which has be sitting open. 

Some wise man on this forum lives by the motto, "if you don't brew it, who will?"

3 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

No I am not referring to myself, although knocking off a few years would not hurt 😁 however, this is probably one factor in the ruminations below. I think though that seeing the way I figured this rather than me just announcing the result might let you see if I was being illogical or trigger better ideas - I am always willing to learn.

Nick, you have much more experience than i do at brewing. However, I would just try them. Get fresh yeast and give it a go. What is the worst that could happen?

Lol, my mother's old saying, "when in doubt throw it out".

I'm thinking fresh ingredients are time put to better use, but each to his own.

Lol, quite possibly because I used up some older hops and grains at the end of the year and they fell in the "meh" category.

The last old hops I used turned out OK so I am a bit cavalier with that. But I hate to throw stuff out. (I was born in times of scarcity.)

Still you are right, absolutely fresh ingredients would be better - and if I was doing all grain - no other choice. 

5 hours ago, D Kristof said:

I would pitch 2 MrBeer yeast packets. They may be old but they've been sealed and stored in a cool location. I successfully used 1 MrBeer packet that had been stored in an attic for 5 years. The MrBeer yeast, if I remember correctly) is the Coopers yeast.

As for too dark? Never heard of it. I would worry about using any old stock which has be sitting open. 

Some wise man on this forum lives by the motto, "if you don't brew it, who will?"

The one that was opened, was reclosed after I put 1/2 a shot of vodka in it on to of the malt to kill any beasties, and it is mold free. I have had good success doing that - using a container over several brews. And I do have extra Mr. B yeasts that are probably more recent than the Dark Ale Cooper's yeast so maybe I will do that. I am not sure it is the same yeast blend though - Australians have different tastes 🤣

On Tuesday, March 05, 2019 at 8:40 PM, Nickfixit said:

I am not sure it is the same yeast blend though - Australians have different tastes 🤣

LOL. I'm thinking a recent newbie asked about the Mrbeer yeast's properties and @MRB Tim commented on it.