Mr.Beer Community
StretchNM

Carbonation versus Conditioning

I bought some PBW and am going to clean the Keg again with unscented soap, sponge, and then PBW. Then I can still sanitize it before setting aside to get ready for the next batch (which will be within days).

The first time for sanitizer I used MrBeer's no-rinse packet as instructed, but then I bought some "One Step" and thought I would use this solution on the next brewing/bottling. Plus, I don't think my Voodoo refill came with any sanitizer. What do you think of One Step? Probably not as good as Star San (?). I might try some of that next time.

I also visited a nice home brewery store in a large city near me (El Paso) and learned a lot about adding steeping grains, etc. SO, thanks for getting me started learning about that. I don't think I'll delve into that quite yet. Maybe after a couple of three successful brews are under my belt.

2 hours ago, StretchNM said:

I bought some PBW and am going to clean the Keg again with unscented soap, sponge, and then PBW. Then I can still sanitize it before setting aside to get ready for the next batch (which will be within days).

The first time for sanitizer I used MrBeer's no-rinse packet as instructed, but then I bought some "One Step" and thought I would use this solution on the next brewing/bottling. Plus, I don't think my Voodoo refill came with any sanitizer. What do you think of One Step? Probably not as good as Star San (?). I might try some of that next time.

I also visited a nice home brewery store in a large city near me (El Paso) and learned a lot about adding steeping grains, etc. SO, thanks for getting me started learning about that. I don't think I'll delve into that quite yet. Maybe after a couple of three successful brews are under my belt.

I thought Mr B sanitizer was One Step.

40 minutes ago, gophers6 said:
2 hours ago, StretchNM said:

I thought Mr B sanitizer was One Step.

Yes I think so. I read it on the forum somewhere. Still Star San has really upped my game when it comes to sanitizing brew equipment. I use it on clean bottles, LBKs, brew day utenciles and I use it on the spigot after getting my FG sample before cold crasing and before bottling.

15 hours ago, StretchNM said:

Sanitizing your LBK before putting it away is fine, but unnecessary.  If you're not re-sanitizing it on brew day, that is not ok.  You must sanitize all equipment just before using it.

One Step is NOT superior to Star San, it's different.  Both are no-rinse sanitizers.  Star San works faster.  Star San stores longer.  But it is not better at sanitizing.