Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Marion

Using a air stone to add oxygen to wort before pitching yeast

2 hours ago, Marion said:

How do you feet about using a airstone to add oxygen to wort before pitching the yeast. I have a 2 gal fermenter with Krausen Kollar

for 2 gallon batches, i agree that a good whisking will get you what you need. I use an aeration stone and oxygen tank to aerate my 3 and 4 gallon batches. there are folks on this forum who wouldn't spend an extra couple of bucks to upgrade their yeast, or make a yeast starter. I do all that stuff because I want to, and feel like i get good results from it. To each their own..it's your beer!

Start with cold water - the most important factor. Air is much more soluble at cooler temperatures. Shaking, stirring, whisking will all saturate the water with air quickly. I say air, unless you are bubbling pure oxygen from a tank.  Well aerated wort will reduce lag time for the yeast, and get them off to a good start before they start their anaerobic phase. However, don't go crazy, as the same yeast, same recipe, and the same environmental conditions might give you different results brew to brew despite your best efforts. 

14 hours ago, Marion said:

How do you feet about using a airstone to add oxygen to wort before pitching the yeast. I have a 2 gal fermenter with Krausen Kollar

Three things here

1.  Unless you are adding pure oxygen as @RickBeer stated you are potentially doing more harm than good (see #2 and #3)

2.  You need an inline filter on your airline unless you are using medical grade oxygen

3.  An airstone is not easy to sanitize and thus risk adding an infection to your beer.

I used to do this and saw no better results than simply shaking my fermenter (even in 5 gallon batches), so now I skip this potential infection risk.

I have seen videos of guys using electric pumps to go from mashtun to fermenter to bottling bucket, etc. Evidently it works well, but I wonder: Even though surely santizer is run through, is there any worry about lubrication oils or other debris from the pump "turbines" might get into the wort?

59 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

I have seen videos of guys using electric pumps to go from mashtun to fermenter to bottling bucket, etc. Evidently it works well, but I wonder: Even though surely santizer is run through, is there any worry about lubrication oils or other debris from the pump "turbines" might get into the wort?

Using the proper pump means that there is no contact between the liquid being pumped and anything else.

4 hours ago, StretchNM said:

What @RickBeer said. I use a small $25 mag drive pump and for it's size it does an excellent job. Saves me from moving any hot kettles or pouring and splashing.