Mr.Beer Community
Mic-S

Boosting abv without MRB booster?

10 minutes ago, Mic-S said:

Thanks Bonsai, but have you used anything other than what you can only get from mrb (or thru the mail)?  

You have to ask yourself what you're trying to achieve and what if anything you're willing to alter in the taste of the final product.  If you just want to add ABV, the MRB booster packs work great.  But anything...yes, anything...with yeast-edible sugar in it will boost your ABV.  But almost all of them will also affect the taste of your beer.  For example, if you're brewing an IPA you probably don't want to add a bunch of brown sugar and honey to the wort for an ABV boost.  Why?  Because brewing a dry IPA with a slight licorice taste means the terrorists have won.  😜  You can add more malt in the form LME or DME...but the increase in malt may shift the balance of the beer away from the bitterness and hoppiness that define the IPA style.  So hop additions may be desired in order to counter the added malt.

So it comes down to why is booster not acceptable in your goal of boosting ABV?

8 hours ago, Shrike said:

So it comes down to why is booster not acceptable in your goal of boosting ABV?

Because I don't have any.  LOL

That was a great answer to my question Shrike, and is what I have been seeing (tasting) in several of my brews when I added DMEs.  What I want to do is make my son-in-laws a good batch of beer like their favorites (Bud and/or Miller) but kick the abvs up just a bit, > than 3.7-ish.  I'm out of boosters (finally!) and do not want to change the flavor of the CAL recipe, just boost it some.  Was thinking of adding a cup of cane sugar or two.  5 abv would be a good point.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

If you're not adding booster or LME/DME, you're drying the beer out more.  

Yes, that's my worry so I've got to counter that.  Maybe a bit (½ pound) of pilsner DME AND a cup of cane sugar to the CAL recipe? 

They both liked my 'Wild Coyote' which I made with half a can of Munton's Lager, some amber DME, two booster packs and some agave nectar, but it was still a bit too malty and too strong at 7.0% abv.  They would have liked it better they said if it were less malty, less taste of alcohol.  The wife thought it one of my best batches yet.

Why are you adding a cup of cane sugar?  For what purpose?

Have you downloaded QBrew?  If you did, YOU could put your ingredients into it and see what the impact would be.  

If Wild Coyote was "too malty and too strong", then you should be removing things that gave it malty and gave it ABV.  Like the amber DME and perhaps a booster pack.

What was the point of the Agave Nectar?

I'd suggest it needed to age more if it tasted of alcohol.  

10 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

You could always make a 1 gallon batch of 6% ABV CAL. :)

True dat!

3 hours ago, Mic-S said:

Because I don't have any.  LOL

That was a great answer to my question Shrike, and is what I have been seeing (tasting) in several of my brews when I added DMEs.  What I want to do is make my son-in-laws a good batch of beer like their favorites (Bud and/or Miller) but kick the abvs up just a bit, > than 3.7-ish.  I'm out of boosters (finally!) and do not want to change the flavor of the CAL recipe, just boost it some.  Was thinking of adding a cup of cane sugar or two.  5 abv would be a good point.

Sounds like time to rebuild inventory.

I know your down at the end of the line and a long ways from LHBS, but I'm guessing UPS delivers?

Consider the source (me), ok? But why couldn't you add 1/2 or 1 pound of corn syrup? I've seen a brewer do that in absence of another extract. Or honey like Jdub said.

@Mic-S, I understand what you want to do - use up some base malt extract and clean out your inventory without ordering anything else (or...maybe without waiting for it to arrive), so it sounds to this rookie like a good time to go all-out mad scientist. Who cares if it doesn't fit within accepted parameters? Get rid of that base extract and 50/50 you get something acceptable.

Again, I say, consider the source. B)

And good luck!

(StretchNM is not responsible for any mishaps or ruining of beer batches due to improper or unacceptable advice. In fact, he didn't even write this post. I did. signed: his dog, Lucy.)

9 hours ago, Cato said:

True dat!

Sounds like time to rebuild inventory.

I know your down at the end of the line and a long ways from LHBS, but I'm guessing UPS delivers?

UPS and Fed-Ex, though sometimes the UPS driver won't drive up the mountain (his truck is a lot bigger) and hands things off to friends and neighbors in town.  I was going to finish up this last can of extract, buy 2 more to brew a couple of 'bud-beer like' batches, then take a break for awhile.  I've batched 18 kegs in just under 7 months.  I finally have my pipeline near full with three full 'archive' boxes of 12 bottles each, 3 each from 12 different batches, the best of the best.  When I fill archive box #4 it's time to sit back and start taste-testing one beer at a time and enjoy a different beer each night, rating each one individually.  Can't wait -

8 hours ago, StretchNM said:

Consider the source (me), ok? But why couldn't you add 1/2 or 1 pound of corn syrup? I've seen a brewer do that in absence of another extract. Or honey like Jdub said.

@Mic-S, I understand what you want to do - use up some base malt extract and clean out your inventory without ordering anything else (or...maybe without waiting for it to arrive), so it sounds to this rookie like a good time to go all-out mad scientist. Who cares if it doesn't fit within accepted parameters? Get rid of that base extract and 50/50 you get something acceptable.

Again, I say, consider the source. B)

And good luck!

(StretchNM is not responsible for any mishaps or ruining of beer batches due to improper or unacceptable advice. In fact, he didn't even write this post. I did. signed: his dog, Lucy.)

LOL

Mic promises not to hold Stretch liable for any explosions, implosions, extrusions or contusions which arise from this advice.  Er...I mean Lucy.