Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
cm11599ps

Clarafying Agents & Mr Beer

I'm interested in clearing up my brews without cold crashing. I'm basically doing straight Mr Beer recipes and see no need/desire to stray away from this for what it's worth.

So what clarifying agent should I use and when would I add it to my brew process?

cm11599ps wrote:

I'm interested in clearing up my brews without cold crashing. I'm basically doing straight Mr Beer recipes and see no need/desire to stray away from this for what it's worth.

So what clarifying agent should I use and when would I add it to my brew process?

I just started using Whirlfloc Tabs with MrB. I just em in thirds, as they recommend 1/2 a tab for a 5 gallon batch. I just bottled my first batch that used em, so I haven't had a chance to see the results yet.

Oh, and I changed the title of this thread.....

My buddy does 5 gallons, though I'm not sure what brand he uses. I know it's not Mr Beer. He says he has had the same effect too with different brews tasting similar.

I found a couple of clarifying products on my LHBS website (they also had gelatin for clarifying). I've been making Wine for a few years and have used Kieselsol and Chitosan exclusively. However, these contain shellfish so you need to be aware if you or anyone else drinking the beer has allergies.

Fining-Super-Kleer - $2.99
Very effective 2-part liquid fining for beer or wine, sufficient for 5 to 6 gallons. Contains Kieselsol and Chitosan.

Fining-Polyclar 1/2 oz - $1.99
Primarily used as a fining agent in beers. Not FDA approved, so a very careful racking after use and before bottling or kegging is highly recommended.

For my money, gelatin is probably the most effective and versatile fining agent you can use at room temp. It is fast & effective, and it grabs protein and yeast on its way to the bottom. Plus it stores well.

Isinglass is good too, but doesn't work as well to grab protein. It also is a little more difficult to work with and store, but not much.

Kieselsol and Chitosan both store better, but don't work super well when CO2 is dissolved in solution (as is the case with beer after primary fermentation). I'd save this stuff for wine, which you need to degas anyways.

Irish moss (and its derivatives, such as whirlfloc) is great for beers that use steeping grains or DME, and thus require a boil, but it won't offer much of an increase in clarity with beers brewed from liquid malt extract, and won't do anything to help settle yeast. Be aware that irish moss needs to be boiled for 10-15 minutes, and will only coagulate proteins present during that time, so it doesn't do much good if you are adding any portion of your malt extract at flameout.

But here is a lengthy article with advice from more knowledgeable folk than I.