Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BadHorsie

Coopers carbonation drops?

was it severely under carbonated or do you just prefer a stronger carbonation. I went 1 per 16 oz bottle and two per MRBEER liter bottle. I guess if they are under carbed I will bump them both up by 1 drop. I will make sure to add this to my notes.

BadHorsie wrote:

was it severely under carbonated or do you just prefer a stronger carbonation. I went 1 per 16 oz bottle and two per MRBEER liter bottle. I guess if they are under carbed I will bump them both up by 1 drop. I will make sure to add this to my notes.

Good point regarding whether my post is based on preference. I don't think it is (though it's possible). Using 1 drop in the 16.9oz bottle, I noted a barely-noticeable head, and very little carb sensation. 1 drop may be perfect for 16 oz. You could try using 1 drop in 1 test bottle, to see if it's enough for your taste. No point using more than you need, if 1 works better for you. :)

Did the math and my pet bottles are 16.9 ounces = 500 ml, So they might be under carbed. I jotted down your suggestion s and will revisit them once I see what the end product is. Now the waiting game.

I love the coopers drops, I would say that 1 would be enough for a 16 oz bottle. The carb may be a tad bit light, but to me 1 drop for a 12 oz bottle was highly carbonated, not over carbonated, but high.

Cool thanks crazybrody. I guess this will be my carb drop test batch. I will report back on it after it is ready.

Here is some info in case any one searches and come across this post so you don't have to search to hard for it. Maybe we can establish a small database of info here.

Cooper carb tab dosage

1 per stubbie (375ml)
2 per long neck (750ml)

Bottles

16.9 floz bottle is 499.79ml = 500ml
MRBEER 1 liter bottle= 1000ml

I had seen else where on the internet that many people were saying that 1 coopers drop sufficiently carbonated a 16.9 bottle of beer. Crazybrody thought the 1 drop in the 12oz bottle was a little high on the carbonation and thought that one might be enough for a 16.9 oz bottle. I used 2 coopers drops on the two 1 liter MRBEER bottles. I was debating on three but did not want to over carb. Three Coopers drops would be enough for 1125 ml of beer. A MRBEER 1 liter bottle is a little less than 1000 ml giving allowance for a little air space in the bottle. I settled on the lower side with two drops. I used 1 for the 16.9 oz bottle. I am hoping that given what crazybrody has shared about the 12 oz bottle that I will be in the ball park.

I almost bought those yesterday at my local LHBS. I wasn't sure about how many to use either so I decided to hold off. I ended up bottling some 22oz bottles and had no idea how many drops to use. I also bottled a 64oz growler...any suggestions on that one :silly: .
-Ruz

I am in experiment mode now. I used 1 drop for the 16.9oz and 2 drops for the 1 litter MRBEER bottle. My next Batch which I whipped up today I am going to use 1.5 for the 16.9 and 3 for the 1 liter bottle and record the results So I will have an idea of what dosage produces what type carb for my bottle size. Light, med, heavy etc. . .

I am learning to but i will take a stab at this for you. 64 US fluid ounces = 1 892.70589 ml and 22 US fluid ounces = 650.61765 ml. 1 drop will carb 375 ml. From what I was able to piece together from the replies to this thread and the math. 1.73429804 drops for the 22oz bottle, or round it up to 2 if you like. 5.0472 drops for the 64 oz growler or round it up to 6 if you like. I hope this helps a little.

I haven't tried cooper's drops, I hear they work. I tried Munton's and I got under carbed beer. I hate that.

I'll tell you what I'm settling on, staying with bottle carbonating using sugar. Everywhere I go I read 3/4 tsp per 12oz bottle. I'm doing a full tsp, corn sugar or granulated. I haven't exploded a bottle yet, and I get carbonation that way.

Everyone has their favorite ways ... I'm sure many wouldn't like mine ... but I find that a sterilized funnel .. put into bottle, scoop out a tsp corn sugar with sanitized measuring spoon, dump it in, tap tap, done. I've been using corn sugar for a while now, I may try granulated again, I just hate when it gets clumped up.

I figure if you keep the package closed between bottlings, you don't really have to worry about contamination.

I used powdered corn sugar my first batch and it came out well. I still have some on hand. I think i am going to like the drops once I figure the right dosing per specific bottle.

Do carbonation drops add any ABV to your brew? I assume that the table sugar or corn syrup would, but not sure about carbonating drops.
-Ruz

Ruz wrote:

Do carbonation drops add any ABV to your brew? I assume that the table sugar or corn syrup would, but not sure about carbonating drops.
-Ruz

Whether you're using carbonation drops, white sugar, corn sugar, honey, DME, etc to carbonate your beer, you're adding a source of sugar for the yeast to eat and produce carbon dioxide as a by product. The other by product that the yeast produces in this process is alcohol. But the amount of alcohol produced is minimal.

BadHorsie wrote:

Did the math and my pet bottles are 16.9 ounces = 500 ml, So they might be under carbed. I jotted down your suggestion s and will revisit them once I see what the end product is. Now the waiting game.

It would be nice if Cooper scored the drops so they could be broken into halves as needed.

I opened one of the tester 16.9 oz of the whispering. It was carbonated. It was by far not too weak but I think it could have been much stronger. I bottled and primed my second batch today. I used 3 per 1 liter and 2 per 16.9oz bottle. That is up one 1 drop for each bottle type. I will compare the two carbonation levels and see which one is the most appropriate.