Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community

dhollar2

Community Members
  • Content Count

    27
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About dhollar2

  • Rank
    Brewer
  1. I agree, the 3 gallon glass carboys are great. You can do 2.5 gallon batches, which will allow you to easily cut any recipe in half.
  2. If you're trying to get lower than your 66-68 range, maybe you could put a couple frozen water bottles in the water and alternate daily. Kind of combine two methods.
  3. I'm not attacking you. I'd just prefer you offer tangible evidence to backup your argument, as opposed to just quoting everyone and offering your own interpretation of those quotes. No reason to get so sensative. Good luck on your full boil.
  4. BeerConnoisseur wrote: dhollar2 wrote: BeerConnoisseur wrote: You mean to tell me that adding hops without boiling will NOT add ANY flavor? That does not make sense to me. If the hops are "covering up" the Mr Beer flavor as you say, doesn't that kind of blow the lid off of your already flimsy theory that the hops caused the flavors in the first place? Oh crap, I forgot. That is right, Hops is Hops and ALL hops taste the same. I guess the names are just marketing ploys to get us to buy the SAME thing more than once. [Heh, you started it saying my theory was “Flimsy”.] {Shakes head and walks away.} :S I move that Connoisseur be removed from your name if you honestly believe that hops cause the semi-sweet, yeasty Mr. Beer taste. Your argument IS flimsy. You've offered no solid evidence. You tasted a commerical beer that tasted like Mr Beer???? So what...from that you get bittering hops???? They probably used the same yeast strain. Perhaps your Mr Beer aftertaste differs from mine, but what I'm tasting isn't bitter, piney, citrusy, or anything like any hop flavor that I've ever experienced. You keep making these weak arguments like a little child, but have nothing to back it up. I did the Ptarmigan Pale ale with and without Mr Beer yeast. I dry hopped BOTH with Amarillo hops. The one with Mr Beer yeast tasted like Mr Beer, the one without did not. You, on the other hand, have not done anything to contribute an intelligent thought to this argument. Get back to me when you do. If I'm wrong, it's the malt-because others have made valid arguments for malt, and I can understand how malt could contribute such a sweet yeasty aftertaste. Your hop theory, however, just doesn't make any since to anyone who knows anything about beer. And if you re-read this thread, you'll realize that the majority is screaming malt or yeast.
  5. BeerConnoisseur wrote: You mean to tell me that adding hops without boiling will NOT add ANY flavor? That does not make sense to me. If the hops are "covering up" the Mr Beer flavor as you say, doesn't that kind of blow the lid off of your already flimsy theory that the hops caused the flavors in the first place?
  6. The Amarillo hops were for dry hopping only. Dry hopping adds aroma, not flavor. I maintain that it's the yeast. Honestly, if you are still using the dry Mr Beer yeast (regardless of what causes the Mr Beer flavor), you're cheating yourself. If it's not the yeast, it's the malt. This "Mr Beer flavor" is sweet/yeasty. There's just no way I'm going to believe this is attributed to bittering hops.
  7. Very nice! I might have to steal this one from ya....after I wipe the drool off my keyboard.
  8. bpgreen wrote: The yeast will only work when the temperature is within their range. If you cool the beer down, then warm it up again, the yeast will wake up again. Refrigerator temperatures don't kill yeast, just put them to sleep. Also, keep in mind that cold conditioning does have its benefits, also. I agree. I like to warm condition for a few weeks to let the yeasties do a bit of clean up before moving on to cold conditioning. That way you get the best of both.
  9. I made the Ptarmigan Pale ale with the Mr beer yeast.- Tastes like Mr beer. Made it again with White Labs California Ale yeast (great yeast BTW). - No Mr Beer flavor. That being said, the malt could have something to do with it. Still, if you're still using that little pack of yeast under the lid of Mr Beer HME, then you are doing yourself a major disservice (I throw these away immediately!). Your brews are going to taste a lot alike if you're using the same yeast for everything. Don't let the price tag on a pouch of Wyeast or a vial of White Labs turn you off. Good yeast is absolutely neccessary to make great beer. Plus, Wyeast and White Labs yeast can be harvested and reused.
  10. I also have had success with Motts Fresh Pressed juice, champagne yeast, and Oregon fruit.
  11. I disagree. It's the yeast...not the hops.
  12. You can also use molasses, corn sugar, maple syrup, or LME.
  13. Clearcut23. Chill out! It means nothing to me if you "throw your life away" on alcohol or even Rib Eyes for that matter. You're right, nobody does care what you do with your own time. People are going to think what they think and that's that. Like me for example, I think that you are probably a raging alcoholic in denial. Why else would anyone go off on a tangent the way you did with FedoraDave here? Don't like my opinon? I don't care, and if you have any pride in your own words, you won't either. Truth is, nobody knows or cares if you're an alcoholic, but now we're all aware of how much of an A-hole you are. Thanks!
  14. I'd just use both cans of HME and add the fruit. This will put you in the 5% ABV range. Adding a can of UME would probably give you a higher alcohol content than you want for that style.
  15. Actually, the Witty Monk Witbier will get you closer to style than the Whispering/golden wheat combo. Just a thought.
×
×
  • Create New...