Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community


Community Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About gbryant

  • Rank
    Brewmaster in Training
  1. I have only ever used sweet orange peel and it worked well. I'd say it gives more aroma then flavor but that was just my impression. I have also had good results peeling or zesting a fresh orange and adding that at the end of the boil (just make sure to boil it for at least a minute or so to kill off any bugs on it). The peel will give a slight citrus flavor and aroma. Another good way to get citrus in a hefe is to put on orange slice on the rim of the glass :-).
  2. "zorak1066" post=370675 said:im thinking about ordering stuff to make a scotch ale (80 shilling). when done i'll have plenty of the following steeping grains left over (cant buy less than a lb) If you go to highgravitybrew.com you can buy all of those grains by the ounce. A pound is a lot for any of those grains. For a Mr. Beer sized batch you would probably not want to use more than an ounce or two of either roasted barley or black patent IMO. (Disclaimer I am not a huge fan of the burnt taste those grains can impart and so I definitely go light with them, someone who likes that flavor might advocate using more--but something like four ounces at most I would think for a LBK sized batch and even that would be too much for my tastes). That being said, yes you can steep them for any Mr. Beer kit. I would think they would do well in the Porter or the St. Pats stout. Use sparingly though. As to the cold phase, without knowing what the original recipe designer had in mind I can only speculate as to the purpose. But, a cold crash period like that will help clear the beer and sometimes get more of the yeast to settle out. I don't know why it would have to be for two weeks though. I have seen a couple days to one week at most typically. Again the cold crash should help with the clarity of the final product (might be other benefits but none that I am aware of using an ale yeast--obviously using a lager yeast is much different).
  3. "Brewbirds" post=371861 said:What size is the pot in the picture where it is on the stove? It is a five gallon pot. I use it for my BIAB 2.5 gallon batches. Thanks to everyone for the comments.
  4. #35 Rye Amber Ale (RCE 2013) Brewed 5-11-13 This was my recipe collaboration exchange beer (thanks for the great collaboration Elsteve-o!) Ingredients: Six pounds Rye Malt Two pounds Biscuit malt Three pounds two row malt One pound Vienna Malt Half pound each of Crystal 40, 80 and 120 One ounce of Cascade hops (4.0 aau) One ounce Falconer's Flight (11.4 aau) Grapefruit peel and zest US 05 Dry yeast The Mash: I brought 1/2 a gallon of water to a boil and put that in my Mash tun to pre heat it. I also brought 4.5 gallons of water to a strike temperature of 156 degrees Fahrenheit. My total liquor volume was five gallons. With 13.5 pounds of grain that was a ratio of about 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. After stirring in the grain I reached my mash in temperature of 152 degrees Fahrenheit. Closed the lid and let it sit for 90 minutes. I stirred the mash about once every twenty minutes or so. The temperature was down to about 148 degrees after the ninety minutes. During the mash, I brought three gallons of water to 170 degrees for a Sparge. Once the mash was done, I drained off about a gallon of liquor and poured it back over the grains. I repeated this twice until the run off was clear and the grain bed settled. I then put the one ounce of cascade hops in the bottom of my brew kettle and collected the first runnings on top of the hops for some first wort hopping. The entire ounce of cascades went in at this point. I then closed the drain to a slow but steady trickle to begin the Sparge (attempting a continuous sparge technique). While it was draining, I used a soup ladle to add sparge water slowly on top of the grain, maintaining about a half an inch or so of water above the grain bed continuously until all three gallons of Sparge water had been added. After the Sparge water was all added, I waited for the the remaining liquid to drain and tilted the ice chest in an effort to get a bit more out. I collected between 6.5 and 7 gallons of wort. The Boil: Put the brew kettle on my turkey fryer and turned on the heat. Prior to this point, it had been a beautiful sunny day. Less than five minutes after starting the heat on the turkey fryer, a torential down pour began. This necessitated an immediate relocation from the back yard to the garage. I am also confident that the sixty minute boil killed off anything in the little bit of rain water that got into the beer. Thankfully I got the brew kettle inside before the worst of the rain hit and only a few droplets made it in. You may not be able to see it in the below photos but it was pouring rain. After that minor crisis was averted and I was set up again in the garage, I brought the wort to a boil and started a sixty minute timer. At this point I was warm as summer has already begun in Florida so I poured myself a cold home brew to enjoy while making home brew. That is a glass of my witbier and was quite tasty and refreshing and made me feel less annoyed by the sudden onset of rain. At seven minutes left in the boil, I added .25 ounces of the Falconer's Flight hops. I added another .25 ounces at four minutes, two minutes and the final .25 ounces after flameout. Also at two minutes I added the grapefruit peel and zest. (On another beer I made the mistake of adding the peel after flameout and it got infected so either sanitize your peel or add it during the boil). The original gravity was 1.060 (which was about 67% efficiency by my math which is much improved over my previous mash tun use and I think I am starting to get my methods down for all grain with a mash tun). I cooled it in an ice bath to about 80 degrees and I then split it between two LBK's. I used a racking cane for the first LBK but then decided to just dump for the second, but even only half full that brew kettle is awkward and difficult to pour. I will definitely be racking in the future. I got to a bit over the 8.5 quart mark on one and to just under it on the other. I tasted the OG sample and it was sweet with some rye spicyness and very grapefruity. I think this is going to be a good beer once its done. It should have a strong malt complexity with a nice citrus/floral hop presence and aroma. Thanks again to Elsteve-o for the collaboration and recipe input. I look forward to hearing about your brewing process and procedures for this one. Also thanks to Fedora Dave for setting up the RCE.
  5. Kegged this yesterday, 4-27-13. FG was 1.010. So the ABV should be approximately 5.3%. I will post with first pour pics and updates shortly, but the sample I used to get the FG tasted amazing. The citrus was less over the top and the chamomille was more present. The tweaks I made from the first one definitely gave the desired result. This one is getting pretty close to dialed in. The aroma is also amazing for a summer beer citrusy and refreshing. I can't wait to take a growler of this to the beach.
  6. #34 Witbier I brewed this yesterday 4-14-2013. I recently built a Mash Tun out of an ice chest with some stainless steel hose as a filter. This was my first batch using it and it worked pretty well but I still need to work on my efficiency. Ingredients: 4#'s six row malt 4#'s Flaked Wheat 6#'s Torrified wheat 1 # flaked oats 1 oz tettnang hops (3.9 aau) .25 fuggle hops (5.7 aau) WB-06 wheat dry yeast .5 oz crushed coriander seeds zest from two large naval oranges Chamomile leaves removed from twenty tea bags. I also added a pound of rice hulls to avoid a stuck mash. Mash: I brought five gallons of water to a strike temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. I poured the water into the cooler and then stirred in the grains. I reached a mash in temp of 152 degrees Fahrenheit. After sixty minutes, the temperature had dropped to 149 degrees Fahrenheit. With about twenty minutes left in mash, I brought 3 gallons of water to 170 degrees. I then drew one gallon of wort out of the cooler and then dumped it back on top of the grains. I then collected the first runnings in my brew pot. While that was draining, I slowly added the 3 gallons of sparge water trying to keep a layer of water just above the grain bed. I just dumped the water from the pot directly onto the grain bed which disturbed the top part of the grain bed. Does anyone have any better method for adding the sparge water? This was my first attempt at a sparge and I have no idea if I was doing it correctly or not. Oh also getting the grains out of the cooler was kind of a pain so if anyone has any special method for that it would also be appreciated. I collected just under 7 gallons of wort. I then added both hop additions and put the brew pot on the turkey fryer to bring it to a boil. The Boil: I brought it to a boil stirring regularly and then started a sixty minute timer. At 24 minutes I zested my oranges and crushed my coriander seeds. At about three minutes left in the boil, I added the coriander orange zest and chamomile leaves. It smelled amazing. After sixty minutes, I removed it from heat and put it in an ice bath to chill and then put it in my freezer for some additional chilling. I then split it between two LBK's and got just under 5 gallons of wort. I aerated using a hand mixer and then pitched half a bag of WB-06 wheat dry yeast into each LBK. They are now in my fermentation freezer at 62 degrees. The OG came in at 1.050. This was better efficiency than I got on my last attempt at a traditional mash but still not as good as I want. Anyone have any tips/tricks to improve efficiency? The taste was perfect and exactly what I was going for. The chamomile adds a nice smooth almost coconut like finish and the citrus was more subdued than my last attempt at this beer. So, I have high hopes for what this one will taste like once it is finished. This should be a great summer beer just in time for the warm Florida weather.
  7. "LeRenardS13" post=348323 said:[attachment=11988]20130302_200605.jpg[/attachment] Very nice brown. will definitely repeat this recipe. Don't know if I'll go with honey for priming next time though. It didn't seem to turn out well in some of the bottles. Well done and beautiful glass.
  8. "Manowarfan1" post=344426 said:Do you detect the Makers Mark at all? So that recipe was for an LBK sized batch? I am considering going to the LHBS store. Was going to do something quick and easy (a Mr Beer based batch) this weekend but now I am thinking that every day of delay is another day I have to wait to try this Cheers jeff Yes it was for a LBK sized batch. I don't really taste the Maker's mark no, but I mostly just wanted it as a vessel to carry the pecan flavor. I think you could add more than I did without hurting the over all flavor if you want to make a more bourbon forward porter.
  9. "Manowarfan1" post=343598 said:Sweet Jeebus gbryant - it has been almost 24 hours - where is the next update If this turns out as good as it sounds I know one beer that goes to the top of the MUST BREW menu. :cheers: jeff Haha this is one of my favorite brews to date. It is a malt bomb with hints of bread, coffee, nuts, and some caramel sweetness. When I brew it again, I think I would take the brown malt down two ounces and maybe up the chocolate malt one ounce. But it is pretty damn tasty as is.
  10. I put half an ounce of crushed coriander for 2.5 gallons and it was perfect.
  11. I transferred this to the keg on 2-23-2013. When I kegged I added about a cup and a half of Maker's Mark bourbon that I had added about a cup of roasted pecans to about a week ago. I took a sip of the bourbon and could definitely taste the pecan. I added the bourbon to the bottom of the keg and then racked the 2.5 gallons of beer on top of it. Then I hooked up the CO2 at 13 psi with the beer at 40 degrees for about 3-5 days of forced carbing. The sample at kegging was roasty and slightly caramelly sweet. There was a nutty flavor but it was more from the malt then the added pecans I think. Though there was a slight pecan after taste. Over all I think its a very tasty porter. And tonight 2-27-2013, I took the first pour off of the keg. This is a great porter. I can definitely taste the pecan but it is in the background with the malt flavor dominating. I am looking forward to having this one on tap.
  12. 2-27-2013: Added one ounce of the hops to the LBK tonight as a dry hop addition commando. Will hopefully bottle sometime next week. I also took a sample of it a few nights ago. It was quite refreshing and delightful. I could definitely taste the peach from the hops. I am excited to see how this one turns out.
  13. "yankfan9" post=341265 said:"I just started my first BIAB this morning so first off good luck to you!" Good luck to you too! Let me know how it goes. Whew! Just called my neighbor and she gave me her 32 qt pot to use so I should be fine as far as the volume is concerned. So mash with 3.5 gallons then gbryant? And also this pot does NOT have a lid, so this seems to be a bit of a concern for holding the mash temp. Anyone ever done a mash without a lid? I guess I could toss my big lid for my 40 qt pot on there. And one more question (sorry I have many) I am using a steamer basket in the bottom of my pot to prevent scorching of the bag, but it has 3 small legs that stick up, and will be poking the bag. Will this be a problem? Thanks I usually mash with the full volume of water I want for the boil. For a LBK sized batch I find that to be about 3.5 gallons for a sixty minute boil to get about 2.5 gallons of wort at the end of the boil. You can also mash with less water and then sparge in more water to get to full volume. You might get better efficiency that way but I've never done it so I cannot give you pointers on that. I have done many batches mashing in full volume and had no issues. As with all things ymmv, but my general process is to bring 3.5 to 4 gallons of water to a mash in temp (usually around 155-165 degrees depending on what mash temperature I am going for). Your mash temp should be between 148-158 degrees. The cooler it is the more fermentable/dryer it will be and the warmer it is the less fermentable/maltier it will be. Should never mash above 158-160 though or you will kill all your enzymes and as you get to 170 or so you risk tannin extraction. Once the water is at strike temperature, I add my grains and then make sure that I have reached my target mash temperature (again between 148-158 degrees typically unless I am doing some sort of step mash). I then remove from heat and cover it with a lid. I leave it for 90 minutes stirring and checking temp every thirty minutes. I usually don't lose more than ten degrees of temp so I don't bother with trying to keep heat on it. You can get full conversion in 60 minutes but I have found I get better efficiency with 90 minutes but again YMMV. After ninety minutes I add heat again and bring the mash to about 165-168 degrees for a mash out. I dunk the bag of grains in the water once or twice and then remove the bag and drain/squeeze the grains over the pot to get as much of the wort out as I can. Some information indicates that squeezing grains can lead to tannin extraction but I and many other BIAB'ers have been doing it consistently without any issues, but its your beer do what you will. I use an oven rack placed over the brew pot to hold the grains above the wort while I am draining/squeezing. After that, you bring the wort to a boil and everything should proceed as a normal hop boil. That is just my process. There are many other ways to do it and there may even be better ways. But thats how I do it. Good luck with your first batch!
  14. I have used a four gallon pot and for that size its possible but you will probably have some spill over. Five gallon is much better. You need maybe 3-3.5 gallons of water for your boil volume and when you add the grains the pot will be full to almost over flowing. Now you could mash in 2.5 gallons and then sparge one gallon in after the mash and that might help some, but your still going to be very near the top for the boil which means watch it like a hawk and stir constantly to avoid boil overs.
  15. "FrozenInTime" post=340898 said:Looks good gb! This an LBK sized batch? If so, wow is it going to be sweet! :banana: Yes it is a LBK sized batch. I know two pounds lactose is alot for the LBK but I tried one with one pound and it was dry for my taste. Also, sweet is exactly what I want. One and a half pounds may be better. But I am looking forward to finding out haha.
  • Create New...