Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community


Community Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About c_s_stanley

  • Rank
  1. I do the same thing screwybrewer does. I bottle at least one PET bottle to check the carbonation and the rest are in bottles. As far as clear and brown bottles go. I drink a lot of Newcastle and have a lot of clear bottles. Haven't had any problems so far but I keep them in a dark pantry, also the same place I ferment at as well. Just make sure you keep the beer out of the sunlight or fluorescent lights. Skunky beer isn't good at all. It usually takes a week or two for the carb to build. Then another four weeks to condition. Patience is a virtue.
  2. I guess for future reference. I've been put in the situation of having to take the fermentor in a car while full. I put ice bags in there to keep the temp down. As well as packing it to not slosh around more than it needed. When I got settled, I just let it sit another day or so before I bottled to let every thing somewhat get back to normal. Beer was fine. A raspberry wheat that was complimented on by some friends. So no harm done by having to transport if needed.
  3. Here's a thought. If you have a blender, calculate up how much it would take and support a local farmers market. Buy some different fruits of your choice, blend them up and put them in the fermentor. I did that with blueberries and the brew came out just nice. It helps local farmers and you know you're getting the freshest. May cost just a touch more but makes a fine beer. Problem is during winter months these are hard to get a hold of, I know.
  4. By no means am I a pro at this. Only 7 or 8 brews in and getting a decent pipeline going. I went and bought a hydrometer and check it about 10 or so days in and see how close I'm getting to the FG. Then check it again around 12 or 13 days in for a couple days in a row, if the projected FG isn't close. I then bottle. I have a good stash of 12 oz. bottles stored back now, so I'll bottle one of the PET bottles to check the carbing. But still I'll put one of the bottles in the fridge after a week just to check the taste of the new brew. Just out of curiosity. I know the longer I do this, the more confident I will be with my brews. You will do the same over time. It's hard to sit back and just "wait" sometimes but with repetition comes confidence and tasting the change over time gives you that confidence that you are doing the right thing over and over. By far, though, even after a week of carbing and another week of conditioning, these are, by far, better beers than any commercial beer out there. Use the guideline as a guide and find the system that works for you. There is some great advice to be gleaned from here. I don't post a lot, but I read a lot on here and it's helped me tremendously.
  5. Yeah, get that temp down lower. More experienced guys can explain better but the lower temps get the yeast to working faster. I been putting my bottles of water in the fridge for a day or so and then put the wort in an ice bath to bring the temp down. No higher than 72, imho.
  6. Yankeedag has a great Simple Guidelines he has written at the top of this category thread. I made the same mistake you did my first time and still had great beer. Whatever type of water you use, I'd suggest refrigerating it a day or so before you plan to brew. This way when you add the wort to the water in the keg it cools it down rather quick. Plus adding the rest of cool water helps when topping off. Another thing I've tried, as well as some others I've read on here, is to place the wort in an ice bath before pouring it into the keg. You'll be alright. Keep asking and even if you don't ask, read. Some great advice on here to glean from.
  7. I looked into their mixes and it didn't sit very well with me. It does have an air lock at the top to dispense gas as its fermenting but from what I've read about the mixes, they're not that good. In my own head I was thinking that just maybe if it was used to ferment their "beer," that maybe I could ferment mine in it and bottle. I'm not much on letting the beer sit on the sediment left and pouring off it. I guess I could get a wand adapter pour from the other fermentors and use it as a fridge keg. I have two MrB fermentors now, so it's not like I really need another fermentor right now. But we know how that goes.
  8. dferron wrote: I initially use a Sharpie on the caps. Then when I want to give one away I label it and wipe off the cap. Works for me. Thats EXACTLY what I do. No need in labeling if it's just me drinking on it. I simply put a letter or letters on the cap to let me know which batch it is.
  9. Scored big the other day. Found on Craigslist a guy wanting to sell a MR. Beer kit for really cheap. So I called him up and went to meet him. I got there and he had a full kit with 3 refills and wanted 25 bucks for it all. He then brought out a Beer Machine and asked if I'd be interested. He wanted 10 bucks. I looked it over and it seemed to have everything so I told him I'd give him 30 bucks for both. My thoughts where I would use the other MrB keg to get 5 gallon batches going and see how the Beer Machine works, and if it doesn't, I'd be out 5 bucks. I've spent 5 bucks on a lot worse things. It had all the equipment with it and had an extra Co2 cartridge. Everything seals up right and tight. My question, I guess, is would it be just as simple to do my malt extract the same way in the Beer Machine as I do in the MrB kegs? I really doubt I would ever use the carbonation from the Machine. I like priming. I just wanted you guys to throw your opinions around on this one. It seems that the keg may be alright to continue on the way I have been going by adding another 2.5 gallons in the revolution. The mixes for the Beer Machine seem too simple for me now, so I'd rather keep moving forward with my progression but wanted to see if using the fermentor is even worth it. What say you guys?
  10. I don't think that letting the beer sit in the keg another week will really aid in any "taste" or added benefit to the beer. Like Yankeedag said, the flavor, i.e. conditioning happens in the bottle. When you get the FG reading from a hydrometer, the yeast has done its work and ready to be bottled. I've had some of the simpler brews done before the two weeks, and found that a couple of the heavier brews, more ingredients take a little longer. The best you can do is get yourself a hydrometer and record the readings. As said before on here, take the readings for 3 days in a row and if you get the same readings over that period, it's ready to be bottled. But who are we to say what to do with your brew. Experiment and let us know what you find. :-D
  11. but still brewing hard and heavy. Just haven't had time to get on here with work, kids, significant other and brewing and tasting the fine beers I'm producing. Just finished up raspberry wheat and nut brown ale. Bottled Canadian high country, and Irish Red Ale is being delivered next week. So far after the 4 batches I've tasted so far, I've enjoyed them. Key to it is waiting it out. I've found that even the most basic batches are better with a little more conditioning time. CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!! :stout:
  12. The puree is what's sent in the package from Mr. B. When I got it I thought, man, I could have bought the regular wheat package and buy the puree at the store. But that bottle above looks a lot simpler. To be quite honest, I'm doing this for a friend, so it just may be my last fruit beer unless they BEG big time to get me to do another. :laugh:
  13. Some may not want to knock out a lot of the sugars because thats where the raspberry flavoring comes from. That would depend on how much of the flavor you wanna keep in there, I guess. The puree is however much is in a regular can. I don't have it with me at this time, so I can't give you an exact weight or amount.
  14. And Raspberry Wheat is in the fermentor. My question here, or rather open thought, is, I didn't put the puree in at the beginning but thinking, from the reading I've done, of waiting up till the 10th day to put the raspberry puree in. From my understanding, this will knock down on the amount of sugars being eaten up and processed by the yeasty beasties to enhance the flavor. Am I thinking in the right direction here?
  15. The simplicity of it is what got me the first time. I got done and thought, I must have missed something. So I went back over the directions and knew for sure that I had gotten everything right. Sometimes I believe people try and over think the processes and make it more difficult than it really is. I am so glad I started out this way. Personally, I have grown in so many ways the last couple of months. I have finally found something that feeds the scientist and the drunk in me. :laugh: :stout:
  • Create New...