Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community


Community Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by BlackDuck

  1. It's been a while since I made a Whispering Wheat....but from what I remember, mine started slow too. You'll be good!!!
  2. Jeff...I like your ingredients list. And the hop schedule should give you a good beer too. With no bittering addition, it should give you a nice malty beer with some good hop flavor and aroma. The one thing that sticks out to me is your mash. You might consider mashing for 60 minutes instead of 45 to ensure a good conversion. I would also be careful of your temps. If you let that sit in your oven set at 170 it might stay too high. Your ideal mash temp should be around 150 to 154 degrees for a medium body beer. If you heat the water to a strike temp of 170, then mix in your grains, that should drop your temp into the desired range. Then put in the oven and turn off the heat. Let it sit in the oven for 60 minutes and you should be good. You can check the temp every 15 minutes. You can turn on the oven if it's getting too cool, or open the door a little if it's too hot. As for the yeast, either the 04 or 05 would work just fine. Looks like a good recipe. Good luck and keep us posted.
  3. Glad to hear it man. And your right....inspiration does lead to motivation. I can't wait to hear about some of your beers!!!
  4. Lady's and Gentlemen....I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say this. This is the most unfortunate part of this upgrade. Here we have a member that is willing and excited about learning as much as possible. And the new upgrade has put a bad taste in his mouth. I hope the mods see this one. Because if this keeps up, not only will MB lose members on the forum, they may even lose customers.....and that is the absolute worst thing that can happen. Togorok....please don't jump ship yet. There is a ton of fun in brewing and a ton of fun on this forum. Hopefully it will get better!!! Let's give MB a chance to rectify the situation.
  5. Looks great Paul....I just finished the last bottle of the four pack of Stones version of this last night. It was pretty good. Let me know how this compares to your black IPA that you did.
  6. Ok...smart a$$ !!!! Nice catch on my spelling/typing error. At first, I was trying to figure out why you write that....then I re-read my post. Doh!!! Very Funny Ron!!! And well played!!!
  7. Man...I wish my iPad had smellovision and tastovision!!!!
  8. 8/4/13: Bottled it up. It gave me 52 bottles of beer for all the work I've done so far. What a nice bath of beer to give that many bottles back to me!!!
  9. Paul....have you actually taken the time to figure exactly what your boil off is? I don't mean to question your ability or your knowledge....God nows you've been doing this a lot longer than me, but...... I am using a 10 gallon kettle that is fairly wide at the top. I thought I had mine set correctly until I boiled 5 gallons of water for an hour and then measured what was left. I had mine set at 1 gallon, but my actual boil off after the test was 1.55 gallons. So your boil off of 1 gallon just seems low to me. But I also don't know what equipment you are using. Without an actual test, your boil off might be more than you think. And if you have done an actual test, please ignore my entire comment. And accept my apologies on being too forward.
  10. Have you figured your actual boil off amount? I thought I had mine right until I filled my kettle with 5 gallons of water and boiled for an hour. I found out that I was off by almost a half gallon.
  11. There are a few schools of thought on dry hopping so you'll probably get a few different suggestions. So I'll share with you what I do. I usually use hopsacks too, but I don's use any weights. I soak the sac in sanitizer then squeeze out any excess. Then I put the hops in and tie off. Since the sac is wet it usually sinks to the bottom. Sometimes it doesn't, but I don't let that worry me. As for the amount of time. I usually go 7 to 10 days. I've never gone more than 10 days. Oh...and as for the secondary, I don't do it. It's just one more step that you can introduce oxygen with.
  12. Thank goodness I wrote your address down too..so your covered on the flipside. I can't wait to give these Pliny clones a try. Since my Belgian decided to take it's time, I'm two weeks out from brewing my clone.
  13. Thanks Ron....I appreciate the comments!!
  14. Thanks Ron...I saw your post on the other thread too.
  15. So here's an update on what has been going on with this: On 7/30/13: Beer-lord suggested that I increase the temperature for a few days to see if that would help finish this off. So I had a seedling heat mat that I put around the pail. This brought the temperature from 72F to 77F. On 7/31/13: I took another gravity reading. It read 1.006. So the gravity had not changed in 5 days even with the increase in temp. But the airlock was still moving ever so slightly. On 8/1/13: I took another gravity reading....and once again it was 1.006. No change in 6 days. Even with two days at increased temperature....so I cold crashed the S.O.B. I will bottle it sometime this weekend. I don't think there is an infection that could be causing the gas release...as it tastes just fine and is clear as crystal! We'll just have to see what happens after these are in the bottles for a while.
  16. I'm having an issue with my Belgian Golden Strong (you can find the thread right here for more details). I wanted to open this question in a new thread as the question is more related to what is actually going on than about the recipe itself. In a nutshell...beer was brewed on 7/4/13. First sugar addition on 7/6/13 and second sugar addition on 7/8/13. I have taken 3 FG readings. The last two on were on 7/26/13 and 7/29/13. I got the same gravity reading of 1.006 on both of these days (3 days apart). So, according to the hydrometer the gravity has stabilized. Here's my dilemma. The airlock is still active, although very, very slightly active....non-the-less, it's still relieving some gas pressure. If the hydro says it's stable and fermentation is done, what could be causing the gas relief? I used Belgian Ardennes yeast (Wyeast 3522). I am concerned that if this is bottled while the airlock is active, it could create some bottle bombs....or a overly carbed beer. I thought I would test the gravity again tomorrow, and if it's the same reading, cold crash and bottle this weekend. Any thoughts or opinions as to what might be happening? Or any help on what I should do here?? Thanks a bunch!!!
  17. I hear ya Paul...I'm just worried about bottles blowing.
  18. 7/29/13: Third FG reading tonight. The gravity was 1.006, same as it was the last time I took a measurement. So, according to the hydro, it has finally stabilized. However, I'm going to let this sit for a couple more days before it's cold crashed. The airlock is still moving very slightly. I think I'll take another reading on Wednesday, then crash and bottle this Saturday. Is it possible for this to be giving off gasses even though it has seemed to hit it's terminal gravity??
  19. "mfields78" post=389896 said:RickBeer, You're partially correct. Although I live within spitting (or vomiting) distance of them, I am not a fan of them! You sir have the hat which I wear proudly lol. Right along with my Steelers hat!!! Never mind....there isn't enough interested around here for a brewing group!! :dry: :ohmy: :woohoo: Just kidding!!!!
  20. Holy cow...I've been looking for one of these for months: "2013 pas cher chaussures MBT chaussures.vente chaude hommes et femmes dernier chaussures MBT." Wait a minute, I cant' read french so never mind!!!
  21. "mfields78" post=389735 said:I think if we could get a couple more members we could make it happen. Maybe have slated meetings on say the 3rd Wednesday of every month or so. Rotate the location and just get as many people as we can for a get together and brew and share? I'm not sure a standing monthly meeting would work with me. Family and other stuff have me pretty busy. But a meet up every now and then would work pretty good. I'm also not sure how many of the previous posters on this thread are regulars on the Borg. Oh....and don't mind RickBeer....he's harmless!!
  22. I am about 20 minutes from downtown Columbus on the southeast side. I would be open if we could make it work.
  23. 7/26/13: FG #2 a few minutes ago. And the soap opera continues....it was at 1.006 with an ABV of 9.5%. I guess I'll just have to give this a few more days before the crash. The flavor again was very tasty. It has a nice spiciness too it, but not to overwhelming. The intersting part was that the alcohol warmth that I picked up the other day when I took the first FG wasn't as pronounced this time. And that is a good thing!! But to keep you soap opera fans intriqued....here's some pron for you!! [attachment=14390]image_2013-07-26.jpg[/attachment]
  24. So here's the update on the soap opera....I removed the blow off tube on Wednesday after work. When I pulled it off, there was the same "pppfffftttt" release of pressure from the pail that there was when I took the hydro reading the day before. I put the airlock on and the pressure built up fairly quick in the pail and the airlock started to release a bubble or two. I went down into the basement last night to take another FG reading. The airlock was actually still moving. Although it's a very slow release, it still doing something in there. I decided to just leave it alone. I think I will delay my planned bottling date which was this Sunday. I will let the beer do it's thing and let the airlock and hydrometer tell me when to bottle.
  25. Very Nice....glad you were able to keep all that gunk out of the keg. After this info....looks like I'm gonna dry hop my Pliny recipe commando and use the same process.
  • Create New...