Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community

Wolfpack Brewing

Community Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6 Neutral

About Wolfpack Brewing

  • Rank
    Newbie Brewer

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I'm in Dallas. Is there anyone in the Dallas area still around on here?
  2. I'm in North Dallas. I've been to Homebrew Headquarters up in Richardson a couple times. Great shop!
  3. I started a brew last Sunday using the Canadian Blonde mix. I boiled 4 cups of water and added the extract and then I also added 8.5 oz of dextrose (corn sugar) to the wort. I did not take an OG because I broke my hydrometer. I am using this Canadian blonde to make a sour, so today I added the lactobacillus to the mix with an addition of 8 oz more dextrose dissolved in water for a volume of 17.5 oz (roughly). I bought a new hydrometer and measured the gravity today after the additions and got 1.024. Can anyone possibly tell me what my OG was roughly? Also, after a week with the lactobacillus, I plan to add canned blood orange to the beer for the final week of fermentation. When I take the FG when I am ready to bottle, will that even be useful since I have added more fermentables to the beer?
  4. Best news I've heard all day! Thanks! I figured the under one minute it took to clean the airlock in scalding hot water wouldn't be enough for anything to infect the beer, and even if it did, it would just be wild yeast that would make it sour anyway. It looked like some yeast was in the airlock when I cleaned it and in the wort on the lid, but I'm sure it's multiplied enough by now that there's still plenty to keep working in what is in the bucket.
  5. Hey everyone, Wolfpack Brewing here. I was feeling a little intrepid and ran up to my local home brewing shop. I bought a 2 gallon bucket with spigot, airlock, and sealing lid along with a Mr. Beer Canadian Blonde can. I started this brew on Sunday night. I made the beer according to the directions, but I added 1 cup of dextrose to the wort in order to later add Lactobacillus to make this a sour blonde (yes, yes, bring on the jokes). I poured everything into the bucket, and perhaps added a bit too much water. When I came home today from work and checked on things, I noticed that the airlock had overflowed and liquid was pooled on top of the lid, but the lid was sealed. I carefully poured off the liquid and dried the top. I also quickly removed and cleared the airlock, blocking the whole in the lid with a clean sheet. I did sample the overflowed wort and tasted some alcohol, sugar and yeastiness. Other than the yeasty flavor, I didn't notice any off flavors. I have not added the Lactobacillus yet. Is this batch ruined because it overflowed, or am I still good to go and let it continue to ferment? Thanks guys!
  6. It's not locked in a closet. I actually have it set up in my guest room since I don't have anyone visiting. It stays fairly dark in that room unless I walk in there and turn the lights on. Otherwise the room is undisturbed by my dogs (3 Siberian huskies).
  7. Thanks! I haven't opened the LBKs, I've just shined a flashlight into them to see. I won't be opening them until I add the fruit. Yes, the air temp is 68-70 degrees, but I did cool the wort before adding the yeast. Even the one I used tap water, I had the water refrigerated in containers down to 50 degrees. So the wort was cool. So if the LBKs are sitting at room temp after having cooled the wort before adding the yeast, isn't that ok?
  8. If water makes no difference, why would one have sediment and the other does not? Is it normal for the foam to subside so quickly?
  9. Also, both kegs are being stored in a cool, dark room. The temperature is anywhere between 68-70 degrees.
  10. Hey everyone! I'm a new brewer in the Dallas, TX area! I have two LBKs. On Saturday evening, I began a brew of Aztec Mexican Cerveza. I used tap water for this brew, and without thinking about it, I refrigerated water in containers that were not sterilized, however I did sterilize all the utensils. On Sunday morning, I noticed that bubbles were rising, and the wort was producing a thick head of foam in the keg. By Sunday evening, it was a huge head, and I'm guessing that was high krausen. Monday it was about the same, and today it has almost completely subsided. I have not seen any sediment in this keg over the past several days. There are also no bubbles rising now. On Tuesday evening, I started a second brew of Aztec Mexican Cerveza in my second LBK. With this brew, I used tap water for the 4 cups for boiling, and bottled spring water that I refrigerated to fill the LBK before and after adding the wort. I didn't have time to check the keg this morning before leaving for work, but this evening I checked it and there is a head of foam, but it is not very big. However there are a lot of small bubbles coming up through the wort, almost roiling. There is also a large amount of sediment in this keg. I would imagine that both of them are fermenting, but could the lack of sediment in the first keg have anything to do with using tap water vs. bottled? Also, in the basic instructions, it says to allow 3 weeks for fermentation, but on the LME cans, it states 2 weeks for fermentation. I want to add lime juice and raspberries (canned and frozen) to both kegs for the final week of fermentation. Should I be aiming for a 3 week total fermentation before bottling or 2 week total fermentation before bottling? So should I add fruit at 1 week or 2 weeks?
  • Create New...