Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
the sloth

bottling question

will the MB bottle capper and metal caps work for any 12oz beer bottle?

I drink yuengling which comes in standard 12oz bottles with a metal twist cap. was hoping i could just save a case or two, purchase the MB bottle capper and some caps and avoid having to purchase a new case of empty bottles.

Won't seal correctly on a twist off. If you have bottles with the pry off caps, then the bottle capper and caps would do fine.
I wouldn't waste money on empty bottles. Buy the full ones and recycle them with your own beer.

and there are a few out there with a Short Lip as well. I'd tell you what they were, but my son bought them, I soaked the lables off long ago, and now I've tossed the pesky buggars.

Wing bottle capper works fine with pry off bottles, it's what I use. I've read for twist of bottles you need a bench bottle capper for the proper seal...

Good luck...Cheers

A bench capper works for twist offs? I didn't think those would seal right.with any capper.

You don't want to cap a bunch of twisties only to find out they didn't seal and you got to toss the batch.

I wouldn't scrimp on the bottles my hard earned beer will go in. After brewing and fermenting a great beer no way will I cut corners when it comes to actually bottling it up....in my humble opinion.

A long time ago, somebody posted on a forum that he had been reusing the twist top bottles. But here's the catch. He would save the bottle caps along with the bottles. Then when he reused the twist offs, he'd VERY carefully twist them back on and really crank down on them to ensure a good seal.

That approach makes me nervous, so I only reuse pry offs.

The warning has been posted. To use "twist off" glass bottles you run the risk of not having a proper seal and or busting the bottle during recapping.

That's why I go to the LHBS drop $11 on a case of brand new bottles. You know exactly what you are getting. And once you have them, you reuse as many times as you like...And with new bottles, you don't hassle with soaking off labels...just something nice about brandy-new...

Gunslinger wrote:

That's why I go to the LHBS drop $11 on a case of brand new bottles. You know exactly what you are getting. And once you have them, you reuse as many times as you like...And with new bottles, you don't hassle with soaking off labels...just something nice about brandy-new...

Gunslinger, Now that makes good sense!

I've also learned that I can harvest bottles at work.

1) Office parties
2) Just ask a few people. You'd be surprised how many people drink beer and either toss the bottles in the trash or put them in their recycle bins.

Nobody I know returns them to the stores for redemption values or actually recycles them for money.

Free bottles.

My 12 yr old used to take back the returnables, now he can't be bothered. We generate quite a few in my house, esp now water bottles have a deposit, too. When we get 3 or 4 bags, I take them back, and buy a couple sixers of micros. Free bottles, and I get to sample new beers. Win/Win! :woohoo:

Gunslinger wrote:

That's why I go to the LHBS drop $11 on a case of brand new bottles. You know exactly what you are getting....

New bottles certainly are less work, but I'd rather take the $11 as a discount off a case of beer. But then, I'm a frugal SOB - sometimes to a fault.